• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

scare tactic ?

C W Morse:

wow, thanks for the LENGTHY explanation with ALL the emphasis pointed out with CAPS!

so lets say....

i own a house, and a fridge, and a steak. someone comes into MY house, into MY fridge and takes a steak from ME.

youre saying thats the same as someone using a freq. they shouldnt be using??
sorry man, but as much as youd like to think, but you dont OWN that freq.

bad analogy my friend.

you come into my house trying to steal a steak, i WILL shoot you......... hell it might even be justified.

if i come onto your freq. and you shoot me........... well lets just say everyone will think youre crazy.

But he has the r i g h t to that freq; and when that right is infringed - a f e d e r a l law has been broken. You're not dealing with local yokels on this issues - Washington boys play different.

Play carelessly; and be very surprised...

im not saying its not possible. im saying i dont believe its probable.

i just dont see hams dropping everything they are doing the second the hear someone who isnt supposed to be on a particular freq. and gathering with some other hams and go out on a foxhunt to find the bandit. if he is mobile, he could be in the next town by the time one phone call is made.

Yes , there are hams that live for this stuff. Fox hunting was very popular in my area til fuel got so high.

Look at it this way. If the person is qrm'ing a repeater and it has a 80 mile coverage. There is probably atleast a dozen people with directional antennas that know close to where you are and which way you are headed or if you are stationary before a catch team even goes out.

And dont think its always cb'ers that qrm repeaters lots of times its other hams old and new.

C W Morse:

wow, thanks for the LENGTHY explanation with ALL the emphasis pointed out with CAPS!

so lets say....

i own a house, and a fridge, and a steak. someone comes into MY house, into MY fridge and takes a steak from ME.

youre saying thats the same as someone using a freq. they shouldnt be using??
sorry man, but as much as youd like to think, but you dont OWN that freq.

bad analogy my friend.

No its NOT a "bad" analogy! It illustrates the REASON for all laws and regulations. Whether they are perfect or not, the reason for them is to protect citizens from harm, damage, or loss whether it be a piece of tangible property or an IN-tangible one like a "frequency". I never SAID frequencies are "owned", but they are REGULATED by governments, AND necessarily so! The simple fact is, if they weren't you might as well abandon the use of radio and go back to 1850 or so. Why? Because radio would become UNususable as an effective tool. Just listen to CB and what it became after it was mostly deregulated in the 80's. Did it become better as a result? No. I remember a time when CB was regulated, there was voluntary organization (the users themselves "policed" it; iow, if you were a malcontent, a troublemaker, PEER pressure kept most users down to a dull roar! And they would "shun" them and ignore their calls) If you just threw the doors wide open, removed all regulation, chaos would ensue and nobody would be able to use it.

While most of us are not trained in communications, we also do not understand one of the main reasons for regulations in radio that makes it the SAME as theft from one's home. It is the potential loss of life and property! While YOU, for example, may pout and chafe under these regulations that people can see no reason not to violate, your indiscriminate use of a radio could be causing someone in dire need of help not to receive that help. Your signal (like in the unbridled atmosphere of CB carried over into other radio services) could be covering up the legimate communications of another station. If you KNEW that you were causing someone to die, would you continue to jabber away? It matters not if it is once, twice, three times, regulations are in place in an attempt to prevent such a thing from happening-----even once! So unlicensed stations---yes, even on the ham bands-----are not welcomed nor tolerated. And in such case, WHO is really the "anal" one; the ham that protects his allocations by reporting interlopers, or the guy who thinks he has some "right" to 'them channels'? (And some outlaws with questionable or NO upbringing DO think that). Who is the 'anal' one if someone is trapped in a car & upside down in a creek, and radio was blocked from obtaining help? For grins and giggles, google "Jack Gerritsen" for an example of this very thing where hams were involved with the Coast Guard and trying to help with a sinking boat. Gerritsen did this very thing. He *(rightfully)* went to prison for it.
Was he a "big man" for doing this, or were the hams "anal" for tracking him and turning him in?

The point is still that stealing from a home is an example of a direct, physical act that is regulated. Radio is an unseen commodity that we can't see or touch but is also regulated for the same reason: to prevent harm, loss or injury to the citizens of a nation or the POTENTIAL for same. IOW, if you steal a guy's groceries, you'll get pinched! If you "steal" the ability to use that which is assigned, given by authority, or license, you are commiting a crime. You should (and will) get nailed. Except for the percieved moral equivilency, or lack thereof in ones own mind, they ARE the same.

CWM

Your analogy is wrong.

It is closer to how hunters feel about poachers. Many hunters do not consider the game animals theirs, but take offense when someone who has not earned a game animal takes one. This has lead to some poachers being turned in and in one case a poacher was shot in the woods, by someone. IMHO, the police didn't investigate that murder, they just wrote it off as field justice. Who knows it could have been one of them who did the shooting.

The Real Analogy

The real analogy is more like driving.

I have a licence to drive on our public roads. This is a granted privelage. If a non-licensed driver occupies the road, they may illegally interfere with my authorization to use a particular space at any given time.

That is all.

It is not like someone stealing my steak from my home!

I actually own that steak, no ham owns a frequency.

I have an inalienable right to that steak, nobody has an inalienable right to a frequency.

It is secured on my private property, Ham frequencies are not individually private, but are for the ham community. They are not property.

No government entity can issue authorization to the public to enter and use my property (althought hey may claim some sort of emminent domain, if need be).

Nobody has a "right" to amateur radio just like nobody has a "right" to drive an automobile. They are licenced privelages...

Not only is the steak analogy bad, it is utterly wrong -- and it just illustrates see dubya's flawed mentality.

CB guys have no limits on power, bandwidth or channels. Hams do. Why hang out with boring hams when you can go anywhere in the spectrum and do whatever you want:whistle:

Just Depends...

CB guys have no limits on power, bandwidth or channels. Hams do. Why hang out with boring hams when you can go anywhere in the spectrum and do whatever you want:whistle:
I disagree - agreeably.
Hams can use power legally. CB'ers get fined. Also, Hams can talk on 1.8mhz all of the thru to 1.2ghz (and beyond); how's that for channels? CB's only have between 26.965mhz to 27.405mhz. Sure, you can use freq's above and below - but you run the risk of FCC biting you - as thse freq's are used by the US Gov't!!!

As far as 'doing what you want' - is nothing more than lack of understanding of the circumstances. If you start to interfere with someone - you will quickly find out when someone complains!

That's it!
;)

If they come up on 10 meters without a license, most likely they will run into my propagation beacon for experimental and educational purposes. Nice propagation beacon right near two truck stops. Good place for it. At least someone is listening to it and can learn from it. :p

My FT-857 has a beacon setting and can be set to operate as a beacon transmitter. So far I have let it run on 6m only but I like your idea of a 10m beacon. How about a 10m mobile propagation beacon next to a truck stop. :whistle:

My FT-857 has a beacon setting and can be set to operate as a beacon transmitter. So far I have let it run on 6m only but I like your idea of a 10m beacon. How about a 10m mobile propagation beacon next to a truck stop. :whistle:

I like that idea too. That's even better because it's mobile and makes propagation more defined on the other end.
:)

I like the idea of setting up a propogation beacon. But I don't know how to do it...would someone care to start a thread and enilighten us?

I like the idea of setting up a propogation beacon. But I don't know how to do it...would someone care to start a thread and enilighten us?

I have a digital voice and cw recorder built into the radio. I can put it in repeat or loop mode and tell it how long to leave gaps in between transmissions. Turn the receive volume down to 0 and let it go for as long as you want. Just make sure your fans are working because she will get hot. (hint hint)

From what I have seen as a new ham, there are a couple different ways of dealing with someone who is on a ham freq and shouldn't be.

1. If it sounds like someone who is new or generally clueless, but trying to do the right thing hams will point them in the right direction.

Heh, don't forget, it's illegal to even acknowledge a station without an ID. Even "go away" is breaking the law.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.