• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scorpion Repair Shop?

Just open any amateur radio amplifier.. and copy.
That's all they are doing anyway.

And you would be correct.

The issue I have to add with that, and many others, IMHO is in "Do you understand what you are doing?" - that is the problem.

Which I give credit to Lou Franklin, whom did make some effort in educating the masses on Why and How an Amp works, not just "What goes where - do this. Buy this here - for that..."

The problem beyond, in regards to that era, that has been the lack of consolidation of the knowledge base between CB and Amateur - which really is our current quandary - the separation of those that have and those that don't.

The ones here (us in Forums like this) are dealing with the "Great Big Empty" (Chasm) that exists because the hands that used to wash each other now don't.

I have no idea why the "Falling out" per-se - but the gap is wide - and it doesn't seem to be narrowing any time soon, even with the advent of such things like the Internet which is the repository of such information.

Why we don't see it, the information that can make amps operate correctly is beyond me to understand at this moment.

The issue I have to add with that, and many others, IMHO is in "Do you understand what you are doing?" - that is the problem.

I was waiting for someone to chime in with this.
Yeah, you can copy it but do you know what your copying?

There are people far and wide that will tell you that the laws of physics behind CB radio frequencies and amateur/commercial frequencies are different.
And their loyal followers that believe it even when it's proven time and again to be false.

Simple fact is that the misinformation out there is so extensive that it's nearly impossible to overcome.
And that misinformation is protected. Just like Scorpion found out.
He was not "towing the company line" so the other "techs" or "amp assemblers" forced him out more than likely.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
well there is a rat someplace. FCC dont do nothing without mega complaints. looks like the guy did good work. its a shame. builders are jealous mfers

Reactions: Eldorado828
not to badmouth the guy, but Scorpion would swing 60 watts into a 2 pill amp and claim he was making big numbers all the time.

he may have been good with a soldering iron, but when i mentioned to him that the power he was creating might not be on 27mhz, and asked if he was interested in doing a video showing his numbers with and without a low pass filter attached, he made up a bunch of excuses why he couldn't do that at his shop.

Beetle, we have those damn scorpions out here too!
I do a hunt for them every night with a UV flashlight and a can of scorp killer.
man are they freaky when they glow bright green!
LC

Reactions: Delta 1
possibly because i dont use amps. only what comes out of the radio. never had no need for one. but i like watching them being built

More and more it's obvious to me that a lot of this is driven by jealousy first, then to "protect their turf"

If someone came up with a clean amp that either looks better or has a better design they become a target for trolls and fanbois.
(see Telstar Electronics)

Using him as an example some of the criticism is well deserved like a decent enclosure.
He really opened himself up when he used a plastic box even if the thing is intended as a kit.

Now about what @loosecannon mentioned...
As to Scorpion driving amps in stupid ways I tend to tune out when I see anyone doing the scope/meter/SA thing because 99% of them don't know how to use these instruments anyway. If he did it I probably tuned out by then.
I want to see the repair and technical parts not the "let me show you my meter" BS.

But it seems from the rumor mill that everyone is turning everyone else into the FCC and getting letters. I guess it's called children's' band at times for a reason.

dxChat
Help Users