1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Scratchy microphone

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by codeman, Apr 29, 2017.

1. codeman

codeman Recovering Crackerhead

So I bought a astatic red devil Mic and had it wired for my old uniden grant radio, I didn't have the Mic very long before it started scratching when I key or unkey the radio. How can I get rid of this problem? I'm ready to toss that mic. Other then the scratchy sound I get told the audio is loud and clear.

Thanks

2. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Scratchy how? Try contact cleaner on the switch

rabbiporkchop, space cowboy and Robb like this.
  3. codeman

Been told it makes a lot of scratchy sounds when I key up to talk and when I unkey. I can hear on the talk back as well. I had no problem when using a different Mic.

4. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

Like w9cll said, probably a dirty switch. I don't know if you can spray contact cleaner inside the switch but after removing the battery, some deoxit with 50 keyups followed by fader lube would be my preferred method, but I've never had this problem. works great on stereo switches though.
    sometimes just using it a lot is enough to clear it off. open it up, pull the battery and put it back together and start pushing the button. try it 100 times and put it back together and try it on the radio.
    try wiggling the cord around first though. it could be a loose contact at the connector, or a bad solder joint, or break in a wire in the cord.

They're nice mics, only one I'll run mobile.
    maybe you're just keying too slow, try pushing the button faster.

5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Sr. Member

How about replacing the switch with one like this?
    [​IMG]

6. codeman

Thanks for the help. I will get some contact cleaner and see I'd it works. Seems to be a good Mic otherwise, I just wish the slider on the side didn't move so freely.