• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Scratchy microphone

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
So I bought a astatic red devil Mic and had it wired for my old uniden grant radio, I didn't have the Mic very long before it started scratching when I key or unkey the radio. How can I get rid of this problem? I'm ready to toss that mic. Other then the scratchy sound I get told the audio is loud and clear.

Thanks

Been told it makes a lot of scratchy sounds when I key up to talk and when I unkey. I can hear on the talk back as well. I had no problem when using a different Mic.

Like w9cll said, probably a dirty switch. I don't know if you can spray contact cleaner inside the switch but after removing the battery, some deoxit with 50 keyups followed by fader lube would be my preferred method, but I've never had this problem. works great on stereo switches though.
sometimes just using it a lot is enough to clear it off. open it up, pull the battery and put it back together and start pushing the button. try it 100 times and put it back together and try it on the radio.
try wiggling the cord around first though. it could be a loose contact at the connector, or a bad solder joint, or break in a wire in the cord.

They're nice mics, only one I'll run mobile.
maybe you're just keying too slow, try pushing the button faster.

How about replacing the switch with one like this?
2017-04-28%2019.56.50_zpsnu57souo.jpg

Thanks for the help. I will get some contact cleaner and see I'd it works. Seems to be a good Mic otherwise, I just wish the slider on the side didn't move so freely.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated