1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

SDRplay RSP1 vs RSP2

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by KD2GOE, May 16, 2018.

1. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Any one have the 2? if i am Just going to be playing around with HF 75% of the time is the RSP2 worth it?

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Not worth IMO.
    Mike

3. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

I have the 2, it's worth it! you're still using your radio and antenna you just now have a external full screen size panadapter with mouse clickable frequency changing in the waterfall, what's not to like about that?

There are Plenty of free open source software to use on them to Interface to your rig.

I mainly use it for the panadapter waterfall display but you can use headphones on your computer and use it with 2 receivers for listening to a DX station working wide split to find the frequency he is picking up more of.

Go with the RSP2 for the extra antenna/radio ports so you don't regret it later. I run my TS590SG and my Icom 7000 on 2 of the SDRplay ports. The 590 is for HF and the Icom is for VHF and beyond.

SDRUno and SDR console are 2 of my favorite free SDR software programs.

4. KD2GOE

KD2GOE W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

what about sensitivity between the RSP1 vs RSP2 and image rejection from the FM radio band?
    i was thinking of getting
    SLP-30+ Coaxial Low Pass Filter DC-32MHz

5. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Published spec's appear to be the same.

They have a FM filter built into the software.

I have to use a low pass filter because I have a 50kw AM broadcast tower nearby.

6. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Well, it's definitely better than the cheaper units flooding eBay. I just have the RSP1a. Works well for my uses. I think Mike must be on a pensioners budget.