1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Sears RoadTalker 40 SSB Mobile

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by SuperDave, Oct 5, 2012.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

Just found an old Sears RoadTalker 40 SSB Mobile that was in a closet at my parents house back in Georgia. It works, but cosmetically it looks ruff. Has a Realistic desk power mic. Hooked it up to my old di pole antenna in the attic and it still works. Channel knob is a little funny, but got a great report on the first radio check.

Are there any modifications I can perform on this thing?

Sears RoadTalker 40 SSB Mobile
    Model Number: 13005720

2. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

Found some info on it... this thing is stout and has some serious modulation.
    It blows my trc-465 away.

Does anyone on here have one?

3. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

First thing I'd do is clean each switch and knob with contact cleaner switch all the switches and knobs than turn all the knobs back n forth let her dry. Than give it a good tune with a station monitor...

☆ ★Sent from Droid★☆

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

Ok. Ill try to find some contact cleaner tomorrow. I don't have anything that is safe for electrical parts I don't believe.

Station monitor? Such as some one listening to me on the other end while I tune?

Also I couldn't find much of anything on this model radio. Only the slant face that every seems to like. :blink:

5. Se7en

Se7en Well-Known Member

Sorry station monitor is a scope.

☆ ★Sent from Droid★☆

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

haha, its ok. I don't have a scope. I'll just use it as is for now. I may mail it off and have someone look at it and fix it up.

I still figured someone would have chimmed in on the radio? I guess it wasnt a very popular SSB radio.

7. Brake Weight

Brake Weight Active Member

There's some YouTube clips of some.

8. Zman

Zman K9FON

Post a pic i wanna see it! I have 2 mobiles, one is a base mobile slant face the other is basically a Cobra 146GTL.

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

I have the one that's "basically" cobra 146GTL then. I will get you some pictures this afternoon!

Here is a video I found of the same radio except my radio is completely stock.

Sears Roadtalker 40 . Cobra 146 GTL board - YouTube

10. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

Could you pull the bottom cover off of the radio, and take a snapshot of the inside for me, so I can identify the board? Do that for me and I can assist you with mods as needed. Thanks!

~Cheers~

SuperDave and 2RT307 like this.
  11. Zman

Zman K9FON

Well guess what thats my video on Youtube!!!! Thats my Sears mobile!

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Active Member

13. psycho

psycho Running a special on our rooms!

Those radios TALK! I owned one and my only gripe was no mic gain control.

14. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

For a grumpy, cranky repairman, you sure help people out a lot! (y) Very cool, ExitThirteen.

RT307

15. ExitThirteen

ExitThirteen Grumpy and Cranky

If it's confirmed that it is indeed the D2824 PLL chasis, I have several mods for it. Clarifier unlock, minor upgrades, extra channels, etc. Let me know.

2RT307,

I'm considered in some circles by being the "grumpy, cranky repairman" because I can sometimes get twisted up when I get something across my bench that's had the ol' "Golden Screwdriver" stuck in it. Removed modulation limiters, bias adjustments cranked wide open, volted finals, and botched clarifier unlocks and channel mods make me grumpy and cranky. :tongue:

~Cheers~

1 person likes this.