• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sears RoadTalker 40 SSB Mobile

Those radios TALK! I owned one and my only gripe was no mic gain control.

Psycho,

If you ever get another one, I can pass along a mod that will allow you to have an adjustable mic gain, but it does involve removing the squelch control and installing a double potentiometer in its place. That way you'll still have squelch and mic gain.

~Cheers~

Reactions: NZ8N
Those radios TALK! I owned one and my only gripe was no mic gain control.

You bet your a$$ they do!!! I love mine on SSB. I get laughed at by the local ops when i tell them its a Sears but they dont say much when they hear how well it talks!!! heheehe:LOL:

Well I took my Uniden out of my truck and put the Sears in it. I wish they still made this radio! Or put SSB into my Uniden PC78ltw!!!!!!!!

Im slipping behind on the pictures, that's my fault.. I just drove back to Louisiana from Ga. and talked to a few local guys in Alabama on 38 LSB before skip started rolling in like thunder.

However.. yesterday afternoon I made a few contacts with the Sears at the house with my OLD dipole attenna (grand dad made it) that is still setup in the attic. California, two guys in Michigan and Illinois. Great little radio! I need to send it to DTB and have him look it over and possible align it.

Now that I'm back in my apartment I'm going to build a dipole like my grand dads and see if I can make that work for the time being. I really don't think I'm going to get out being that it will be inside my 1st level apartment................

If it's confirmed that it is indeed the D2824 PLL chasis, I have several mods for it. Clarifier unlock, minor upgrades, extra channels, etc. Let me know.

2RT307,

I'm considered in some circles by being the "grumpy, cranky repairman" because I can sometimes get twisted up when I get something across my bench that's had the ol' "Golden Screwdriver" stuck in it. Removed modulation limiters, bias adjustments cranked wide open, volted finals, and botched clarifier unlocks and channel mods make me grumpy and cranky. :tongue:

~Cheers~

Isn't that the same board as the Uniden PC-244 and President AR-144?

Psycho,

I am not sure, as I've never owned one of these radios. But from the looks of it on this thread, it sounds like it! If that is so, I have lotso mods for this fine chassis. Just wanted to know 100% before I give SuperDave a bunch of mods!

~Cheers~

I was talking on mine tonight and two of my locals on AM said it was as loud as my Superstar 3900 HP!!!!

The Slant Face Sears Roadtalker SSB I have was made by Hitachi as noted by the "H" logo on the board and other components.

Great radios with a few easy tweaks. There are off-the-self 5 pin DIN to 4 pin Cobra mic adapters out there on the bay as well.

My channel selector cleaned up after a few hundred cycles back and forth ;)

The Slant Face Sears Roadtalker SSB I have was made by Hitachi as noted by the "H" logo on the board and other components.

Great radios with a few easy tweaks. There are off-the-self 5 pin DIN to 4 pin Cobra mic adapters out there on the bay as well.

My channel selector cleaned up after a few hundred cycles back and forth ;)

My Channel selector is loose. The majority of the channels I have to have the selector positioned just right so that I can RX/TX. Still a kick arse little radio. I've been shooting skip cruising down the interstate...barefoot. ;)

Could you pull the bottom cover off of the radio, and take a snapshot of the inside for me, so I can identify the board? Do that for me and I can assist you with mods as needed. Thanks!

~Cheers~

Reviving an old thread of mine! Does this picture work for you? I can get more if you'd like. I broke this radio back out and have it in my new truck but would love to get this thing fixed up!

Looks like a 146 chassis. I LOVE that radio. I have several and they TALK. Exit13 worked on a couple of mine. GOOD basic radio.

Reactions: SuperDave
Looks like a 146 chassis. I LOVE that radio. I have several and they TALK. Exit13 worked on a couple of mine. GOOD basic radio.

I would love to get him under the hood of mine!

The radio looks terrible and is developing an issue somewhere around the mic connection, but when it works, it talks. It will retire to a base rig by next week.

I have two versions of the Sears RoadTalker AM/SSB radios. My very first SSB skip contact was with one of the slant faced radios. I have three of the slant faced 110Vac/12Vdc units and two of the smaller sleek 12Vdc only units. The 110 Vac/12Vdc unit saved me and my families lives. Long story on that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.