• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Server power supplies for amplifier

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
A friend gave me two server supplies and a controller that looks like it parallels them. Does anyone have experience with HP power supplies like this? I know I need to up the voltage a bit, hoping there is an adjustment pot inside...

Any insight from someone familiar with HP supplies would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb

Hey Brandon
RC groups in yahoo etc etc has a lot of info on the servers converted to ps.
I do not know how to do it but sure that google can find some info.
good luck

Reactions: Rwb and brandon7861
Mine is a Hewlett Packard HSTNS-PL18 server supply.
Could never find a schematic on it...
Found a video or two that supposedly upped the output... I just felt like it seemed like more of a hack.... so mine sets to about 12.5 V and I have just left it there.
Maybe some day, I'll follow Mike's lead and rework this one.

If I can't find a schematic for this one, I will have to stare at it for a while (assuming they didn't laser off the IC labels). I'm not the greatest with electronics, but I might get lucky and and find a reference zener or something that gives it away. I imagine there would be a sense lead after the filter caps or by the connector I could follow back, but switching power supplies are something I have very little experience with. I had it in my mind that I could just change the zener out with a transistor configured as a variable zener or just divide the sense voltage to make it think it was lower than it is, but Mike pointed out something that I didn't think of, the over-voltage protection. I think I will go get one and pop the hood and see how far out of my depth I am tonight :)

I'm an idiot. I mis-typed the model number last time I searched for this. I just found a website detailing how to do it here. The questionable soldering, typos, and use of hot glue in a device that gets hot makes me wonder how accurate the information is, but I am gonna try as these didn't cost anything. If it goes up in smoke, I'll be more careful with the other one.

Edit: there is another site here too, so now I have some comparing to do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated