• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Setting Up a Base Antenna in Public

Jun 6, 2019
So, are the regulations on setting up a Base Antenna (Imax 2000) in public places? I found a steel plate that you drive one wheel of your car over, with a shaft for an antenna mast. I think it would be a blast to, let's say, run an Imax 2000 on 20 foot of mast somewhere like a park, or more specifically, on top of a hill, or mountain. I'm guessing the cops, or park rangers would immediately freak out. Has any of you seen, or done this?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Having worked many, many Field Day operations, with Multiple Radios/ antennas even portable towers with beams etc. Your best course of action is to PLAN AHEAD of such operation.
Email Park Rangers/Local officials/Local Sherriff or Police depts.
You may need permission/permits etc. to do this.
Even Trail operators have to be familiar with local rules and regulations as to this type of activity. Don't put yourself in a position as to say..."Sorry I did not know I needed...???"
Just a heads up. Having had run-ins with locals/Rangers etc. it's best to be prepared and have documentation of such permission BEFORE you set-up your operation.
My 2 Cents
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

There is a turn out above Cathys Valley on Highway 140 that I used to park at and use a 99 antenna mounted in the bed of my pickup.
I did this dozens of times and only once did a Deputy Sheriff stop to see what I was doing.
I presented him with the copy of my license from my wallet , showed him the radio (ft 897d) and let him listen as I made a contact in Hawaii on 12 meters.
He said that is really cool.
Told me to have a good day and drove off.
I have also been camping in many areas of the Sierra using different antennas from verticals to wire antennas and never had a hassle from any park ranger or camp host.
I have had curious people stop by and ask questions but never anything negative.
I don't know about other states but I have never had to have any special permit to play radio out here.
Jeff

It most likely won't be the cops that freak out about it (well, you live in Chicago, so all bets are off there LOL), they will just want to talk to you, and if you are not allowed to be there, they will tell you to leave.

the real problem will be the public. many people have never seen a CB base station antenna and will think you are some sort of looney out there trying to listen to their cell phone calls or worse, that you are a lalalalalalala and are going to hurt people.

the more time goes by, the less people know what you are up to out there.

I have done this many times, and have never been approached by the cops, but they did sit and watch me for a while, and then pulled me over on my way home to see if i was drunk.

that's going to be the hardest part; not being able to have a cooler of beer with you!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.