• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Setting up a station low watts.

gasbag

Mar 9, 2012
Mars
I have access to a 30' tower. Been out of radio for 30 years.
Found my old Navaho AM SSB base. I hope to grab the tower this summer and start to set things up. Think I'm gonna do a MACO M104C Horizontal. They're sturdy and simple. Gonna have the local antenna guys install it and ground it.

OK, SO,,

Fathers day is just around the corner and I have 3 daughters and son-in-laws REQUIRED to buy me toys. I have a nice simple radio and a nice simple yagi. That's essentially all I ever had. (+ a 1/2 wave ground plane) No extra amps, meters, tuners etc.

If you were going with just regular peaked power, what would you add to your Base (within reason) to enhance your Trans/Rec and general enjoyment?

Honestly, about the only thing you might need would be an SWR/watt meter. After that it's more a matter of what you might -like- to have, you know? How about a nice recliner with built in cooler, massager, TV, and whatever else you can think of? Sounds reasonable to me...
- 'Doc

I have access to a 30' tower. Been out of radio for 30 years.
Found my old Navaho AM SSB base. I hope to grab the tower this summer and start to set things up. Think I'm gonna do a MACO M104C Horizontal. They're sturdy and simple. Gonna have the local antenna guys install it and ground it.

OK, SO,,

Fathers day is just around the corner and I have 3 daughters and son-in-laws REQUIRED to buy me toys. I have a nice simple radio and a nice simple yagi. That's essentially all I ever had. (+ a 1/2 wave ground plane) No extra amps, meters, tuners etc.

If you were going with just regular peaked power, what would you add to your Base (within reason) to enhance your Trans/Rec and general enjoyment?

The m104c is a very good antenna and you don't need to get it real high to work well. Consider to add a good boom support as well. It helps keep everything in good symmetry.

Unless you live in a corner so-to-speak, with nothing much behind or to the sides, then you'll need a good rotor setup.

I would also get some nice foam RG8 feed line with some very good crimped on connectors done right. I prefer soldering, but I don't trust the typical soldered connectors on RG8 type coax I've seen done. It's too easy to melt the dielectric insulation. If you use RG8/X mini 8 type coax, then soldering is easier and usually better, it has a sleeve inside the fitting to solder to when done right.

If you use a rotor, then be sure to leave a nice loop in the line around the rotor to allow for good rotation.

Marconi:

I used a large TV rotor and choke for an old 3 element yagi years ago.
I've heard pro.s and con.s about mid. duty rotors for the Maco4. Thanks for the COAX tip.

a large 8 ohm external speaker in a correctly sized wooden box for good bass can make a surprising difference for weak signals and audio fidelity. i used 2 4ohm car speakers in series for mine.
desktop power mikes are handy cos you don't get a cramp in your elbow with long overs.

Ameco PT3 signal amplifier, really brings in the signals and you can hear the weak one's also it does not just amplify the static.

Maco four element, HAM II rotor or better if you live in a windy area.

20 more feet of tower would be nice also(y)

Welcome back to the hobby, the solar cycle is on the upswing and many good DX contacts to make.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.