• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shoot-Out Radios

How do you feel about radio shoot-out competitions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

It is extreme and not for everyone, but like was said before it's interesting to see how the systems are setup. This is good old fashioned American ingenuity at work and I am amazed at the stuff they come up with. It is also a reason to get together and see some of the guys you talk to? I don't know, I don't know anyone who does it but I would like to go to one but they are all so far away. And like it or not it is part of the hobby and maybe helps to keep it alive. Now that DX is legal on CB I wonder if CBDX clubs will start to grow? Maybe when the skip comes back.

Reactions: LeapFrog
i like the fact that people hold these competitions even if i hate what they do to their radios in order to compete in them.

To me, anything that encourages people buying and using CB equipment is good for the hobby because once the market disappears, so does the hobby eventually.

I would actually like to attend one someday, but they seem to be popular only in certain regions that are too far for me to travel for a one day excursion.

I have always wondered what would happen if someone scheduled a 'break' on the same day and a few miles away from a hamfest.

I can't help but picture a bunch of old guys with antennas on their backpacks running towards a park from three different directions while a bunch of bald guys with goatees throw beer cans at them. LOL

LC

Other than being illegal it's no different to me than owning a race car, fishing bass tournaments, competition shooting or being a big-time corntester on the ham bands. People dump tons of money into those hobbies and some people think they are stupid for it. You'll always have those who are jealous of what you have or are capable. It's not their time or money so **** 'em.

What I don't agree with is when people try to run comp style for rag chew. To me these are the guys that are trying to compensate for something or have an ego problem. Their audio isn't pleasant to listen to, they trash up the band with bleedover and can't have real conversations because their junk overheats and they have to give it a rest after a few minutes. John Force isn't driving his funny car on the interstate.

Gentlemen, you have made some excellent points in this thread!

I find it interesting how people hook everything up and make it work

It is extreme and not for everyone

To me, anything that encourages people buying and using CB equipment is good for the hobby because once the market disappears, so does the hobby eventually.

I have always wondered what would happen if someone scheduled a 'break' on the same day and a few miles away from a hamfest.

Other than being illegal it's no different to me than owning a race car, fishing bass tournaments, competition shooting or being a big-time contester on the ham bands.
John Force isn't driving his funny car on the interstate.

I agree with all of you, it is a great way to meet up and help proliferate the hobby.
Some of the setups are extreme, and ingenuitive!
Never know what you'll see, or who'll meet!
I would like to see CB QSL cards come back into reality, that would be awesome!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Other than being illegal it's no different to me than owning a race car, fishing bass tournaments, competition shooting or being a big-time corntester on the ham bands. People dump tons of money into those hobbies and some people think they are stupid for it. You'll always have those who are jealous of what you have or are capable. It's not their time or money so **** 'em.

What I don't agree with is when people try to run comp style for rag chew. To me these are the guys that are trying to compensate for something or have an ego problem. Their audio isn't pleasant to listen to, they trash up the band with bleedover and can't have real conversations because their junk overheats and they have to give it a rest after a few minutes. John Force isn't driving his funny car on the interstate.
Well said. John Force could never catch me on the interstate. Sorry he does not show up with enough gas.

Are shootout guys concerned about the 54mhz harmonic being amplifier by a snot radio?
We are all individuals, but they decide what is acceptable amongst themselves as a group, & some times anything goes, usually when it is a spur of the moment thing no holds are barred.

Everyone has their own idea of how to win at a key-down.
The classes and rules depend on the event, who all is present and what was agreed upon at that time.

From my experience it's usually not structured to a degree like this:

Exciter Class
Modified Double Final Radio
Factory Double Final Radio
Open/Custom Transmitter
Factory Single Final Radio
Modified Single Final Radio

Amplifier Class
"2 Transistor"
"4 Transistor"
"32 transistor"
"64 Transistor"
"Whatever you brought"
"Sub class for Vacuum Tubes.."
You get the idea! (y)

Vehicle Class
"Suburban"
"Box Truck"
"Full-size Van"
"BIG RIG CLASS"
"Whatever"

Often times the antenna and amplifier is the sub-class people are worrying about, not the exciter/radio.
From the events I've seen anyways.

CB Breaks, or meet ups are kick-ass.
You get to meet people, exchange ideas and help each other learn and grow as individuals, to network and be connected as a community.

Also, I've seen live-action, over the air "radio shootout", with another party rolling the gate!
People listen in and the station heard over the other one is declared the winner.
Usually in a case like that you run what you got,
bring out the hammer for "bragging rites".

The gate then gets posted online afterwards, hopefully.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.