• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shoot-Out Radios

How do you feel about radio shoot-out competitions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Try R/C Planes.. been doing that for 40 years. Talk about a money pit...:)
That's not a pit, you're throwing your money up in the air.;)

I bought a plane quite a long time ago, never did get it up in the air. Probably still in the box around here someplace.

Try R/C Planes.. been doing that for 40 years. Talk about a money pit...:)

One of the things I wanted to try and never did. My plane experience was a Cox airplane that got wrapped up in the power lines and went round and round for a few minutes before the string wrapped around the propeller and stalled the engine.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
One of the things I wanted to try and never did. My plane experience was a Cox airplane that got wrapped up in the power lines and went round and round for a few minutes before the string wrapped around the propeller and stalled the engine.

Yeah I remember the Cox Black Widow motor with the starter spring. I still have a box full somewhere. It was fun trying not to chop my finger off with the propeller. LOL After I was done goofing around with a motor that just would not start, I took the propeller off and jammed it on the point of a pencil and would roll the pencil quickly between my palms to fly it across the room like a helicopter. LOLOL its all coming back now. Good stuff!!

Waste of time and money the way most go about it. On top of that, it pollutes the rf spectrum and effectively reduces peoples ability to actually talk to each other on air. All radios prepared for this nonsense are splatter box's and the amps normally are not any better!I do not care if we talk about 6.5-06 on a Mauser action, breeding Blue Tick's, or the crazy hooker that jumped on the hood of your car at a traffic light as long as we are talking and we are not being vulgar. Things like noise toys, splatter box radios, agitating, being drunk and vulgar on air, key down contests, Super Bowel etc.....I wish we could put those folks in the county jail for 90 days of hard labor! That would put an end to idiotic B.S.! Same thing for people talking or texting while driving! The heck with finical fines makes it far more serious than just monetary fines! I do not care about how much power some uses as long as they clean and clear and talking to other people without tying up a channel or band etc.....I want the splatter boxes, echo mic's, noise toys, agitators and vulgar trash gone more than anything else!

All it takes to rig one of those competitions is for one of the competitors to have his radio slightly off frequency precisely where the receiving station is off frequency and then it's an automatic win... Since most of those people have no integrity why would anybody waste their time competing?

One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,One, One, One, One, One, One, One, One,

The real fun with shootouts is the cheating.

I remember one description I found on a ham forum years ago, when a question was asked "what's a shootout?".

You put enough extra alternators on your motor to power a ten-thousand Watt linear, stand outside the driver door with the mike cord through the window. Key the mike and repeatedly yell "WORLDWIDE" into the mike until your brain dribbles out your nostrils onto the parking lot.

I probably didn't get that quoted exactly, but still worth a chuckle.

Reactions: ButtFuzz
Other than being illegal it's no different to me than owning a race car, fishing bass tournaments, competition shooting or being a big-time corntester on the ham bands. People dump tons of money into those hobbies and some people think they are stupid for it. You'll always have those who are jealous of what you have or are capable. It's not their time or money so **** 'em.

What I don't agree with is when people try to run comp style for rag chew. To me these are the guys that are trying to compensate for something or have an ego problem. Their audio isn't pleasant to listen to, they trash up the band with bleedover and can't have real conversations because their junk overheats and they have to give it a rest after a few minutes. John Force isn't driving his funny car on the interstate.

I can assure nothing that has more than 4-6 transistors in a mobile has ever made me jealous. Yes I think guys with 32 and 48 "pill" not transitor amps are idiots! Not only is not remotely legal it is not safe for the people at the competition. It add's a tone of noise into the band every one of them has a splatterbox radio. CUrrently, for 48 non-matched Toshiba 2SC2879 you are looking at $3125 for matched that easily goes up past $4000 just for the transistors not paying someone to build it for you.

Maybe 1 out of 200 comp tuned radio are well filtered and clean on a scope and spectrum analyzer. The point behind 2-Way radio hobby talking balk and forth with people guys with 48 "pill" amps are not having intelligent conversations and even if it where legal for them to have and operate an amplifier the legal limit is what 1500W. As much as I am not a fan of Ch6 the Super Bowl at least they do at the very least attempt to make contact with another human as a norm.

In fact I would put it right up there with people addicted to plastic surgery or people that pay to have digits or limbs that are perfectly healthy cut off. I am not jealous of them either. In fact I would say it is almost as stupid as guys that will pay $12,000 for a European Hunting Rifle built on a Miltary Mauser that I can build for well under $700. I will admit I do not do gold wire inlaw into engraving due to the price of gold. A nice Nitro Express side by side or over under drilling rifle those start at $12k for a better and $24K for a nice one just to kill an animal who's meat will not come home with you so you can put a hide on your wall. By the way that price does not buy you extreme accuracy, exotic metals, and often the over all metal finish and machine work is not as nice as you might expect while some will look like a rifle fit for a king.

Because most comp tuned radio's are splatter boxes I hate the general concept of them. I do not like any radio or amp that is not super clean. The dirtiest amp I would not mind sharing airspace with is -44db down minimum -60db to -80db down should be a fairly realistic to hit target.

If the radios and amps where clean and durable I would not hate it so much but when buba is burning through transistors by the buck load like a steam engine eating coal driving up the prices of what few non-Chinese transistors are left I have a problem with that. They out to be getting a few decades out of transistors not 2-3 months. Likewise, I hate idiots splattering 10 channels each side of the channel they are on. Nothing is more selfish than interfering with someone else's legal right to operate on the radio without interference from an illegal operation of a cb radio.

I am not against operating with more than 4 watts. I am not against operating "freebanding" if they stay off of ham bands and do not interfere with anything else. I am against people being selfish and inconsiderate of others on air. A lot of these guys get drunk, mean and agitate. They key over people, play garbage music or tv audio on air etc......They are vulgar, crude, crass and all around bad examples of the human race. I have no time for those types at all or a culture that encourages them or makes excuses for them. I like hunters but not poachers out shinning on other peoples property at 2 in the morning etc.....On the other hand, if I know some is down on their like and hunting or fishing out of season or past the legal limit to feed their kids I am ok with that. The letter of the law is not as important as the spirit of the law to me. It is the principal of a thing.

It would be totally different if these people ran clean gear at home and in the daily driver but that is almost never the case. They run the same garbage amps and butchered in their daily driver's normally too.

It is not the money they blow no matter how foolish I think it is to waste 48 transistors in one amp when 4 LDMOS could do a better job. It is how they design, build, modify and operate their gear. Being jealous is not the issue. Do grown mean routinely get jealous? I outgrew that long before high school it has to do with character and virtue being self-actualized. Being jealous is a waste of willpower, time and emotions it gets you now where and solves nothing. You are far better off learning to do what it is your jealous about for your self and finding mentors that will help you learn and do for free. Your income will not always be within your control due to market forces but knowledge and skill are yours forever to do with as you please.

The real fun with shootouts is the cheating.

I remember one description I found on a ham forum years ago, when a question was asked "what's a shootout?".

You put enough extra alternators on your motor to power a ten-thousand Watt linear, stand outside the driver door with the mike cord through the window. Key the mike and repeatedly yell "WORLDWIDE" into the mike until your brain dribbles out your nostrils onto the parking lot.

I probably didn't get that quoted exactly, but still worth a chuckle.

Very true coming up with creative workarounds that are not explicitly forbidden yet.

I have refused to rebuild amplifiers used for the shoot outs. In spite of a potential large PayDay for up charging on transistors and labor cost I just would not do it.
There would have been a minimum of 190 transistors to replace. I thought about, but I just did not want to spend my time working on a P.O.S. class "C" amplifier.
I also got suspicious when I quoted him $10,000.00 plus parts and taxes and he quickly said "OKAY!" I bet the money would have been counterfeit any way. This guy looked pretty poor financially, so where do these clowns come up with that amount of cash?

True..after about the third key a 32 pill's power supply is dead. Put in a 3 phase 3cx3000a7 20 years ago and never looked back. Dead keys at 1500w at a traffic light, and pins the 10k slug when you smash it.
I sure would like to see a schematic of that amp! That sounds like something worthy of being adapted to my radio shack.

I can assure nothing that has more than 4-6 transistors in a mobile has ever made me jealous. Yes I think guys with 32 and 48 "pill" not transitor amps are idiots! Not only is not remotely legal it is not safe for the people at the competition. It add's a tone of noise into the band every one of them has a splatterbox radio. CUrrently, for 48 non-matched Toshiba 2SC2879 you are looking at $3125 for matched that easily goes up past $4000 just for the transistors not paying someone to build it for you.

Maybe 1 out of 200 comp tuned radio are well filtered and clean on a scope and spectrum analyzer. The point behind 2-Way radio hobby talking balk and forth with people guys with 48 "pill" amps are not having intelligent conversations and even if it where legal for them to have and operate an amplifier the legal limit is what 1500W. As much as I am not a fan of Ch6 the Super Bowl at least they do at the very least attempt to make contact with another human as a norm.

In fact I would put it right up there with people addicted to plastic surgery or people that pay to have digits or limbs that are perfectly healthy cut off. I am not jealous of them either. In fact I would say it is almost as stupid as guys that will pay $12,000 for a European Hunting Rifle built on a Miltary Mauser that I can build for well under $700. I will admit I do not do gold wire inlaw into engraving due to the price of gold. A nice Nitro Express side by side or over under drilling rifle those start at $12k for a better and $24K for a nice one just to kill an animal who's meat will not come home with you so you can put a hide on your wall. By the way that price does not buy you extreme accuracy, exotic metals, and often the over all metal finish and machine work is not as nice as you might expect while some will look like a rifle fit for a king.

Because most comp tuned radio's are splatter boxes I hate the general concept of them. I do not like any radio or amp that is not super clean. The dirtiest amp I would not mind sharing airspace with is -44db down minimum -60db to -80db down should be a fairly realistic to hit target.

If the radios and amps where clean and durable I would not hate it so much but when buba is burning through transistors by the buck load like a steam engine eating coal driving up the prices of what few non-Chinese transistors are left I have a problem with that. They out to be getting a few decades out of transistors not 2-3 months. Likewise, I hate idiots splattering 10 channels each side of the channel they are on. Nothing is more selfish than interfering with someone else's legal right to operate on the radio without interference from an illegal operation of a cb radio.

I am not against operating with more than 4 watts. I am not against operating "freebanding" if they stay off of ham bands and do not interfere with anything else. I am against people being selfish and inconsiderate of others on air. A lot of these guys get drunk, mean and agitate. They key over people, play garbage music or tv audio on air etc......They are vulgar, crude, crass and all around bad examples of the human race. I have no time for those types at all or a culture that encourages them or makes excuses for them. I like hunters but not poachers out shinning on other peoples property at 2 in the morning etc.....On the other hand, if I know some is down on their like and hunting or fishing out of season or past the legal limit to feed their kids I am ok with that. The letter of the law is not as important as the spirit of the law to me. It is the principal of a thing.

It would be totally different if these people ran clean gear at home and in the daily driver but that is almost never the case. They run the same garbage amps and butchered in their daily driver's normally too.

It is not the money they blow no matter how foolish I think it is to waste 48 transistors in one amp when 4 LDMOS could do a better job. It is how they design, build, modify and operate their gear. Being jealous is not the issue. Do grown mean routinely get jealous? I outgrew that long before high school it has to do with character and virtue being self-actualized. Being jealous is a waste of willpower, time and emotions it gets you now where and solves nothing. You are far better off learning to do what it is your jealous about for your self and finding mentors that will help you learn and do for free. Your income will not always be within your control due to market forces but knowledge and skill are yours forever to do with as you please.

You make some very good points in many of your posts. It's hard to take you seriously because you have no respect for anyone that doesn't share the same opinion as you. The posts/novels you write about nothing could be condensed down to a couple of paragraphs without all of the off topic references and rants about guns, politics, cars, transmission fluid or whatever else is on your mind. Rambling posts made in the wee hours of the morning like a meth addict or mad man.

I suspect that that you throw all the extra details in there to appear more superior. You have recently mentioned 1000 meter shooting competitions, given some unsolicited shooting pointers on a radio forum, something about your kids not inheriting your speed, strength or muscular build, pointed out that people who don't use the same microphone as you are stupid, and I seem to remember you posting something about being a pilot or something related.

Some of what you say may be true. You may intend to be helpful but you come across as an opinionated and very bitter old man. Life didn't play out like you wanted so you're on here pretending to be something better than you really are. Maybe you haven't been getting the respect you think you deserve in the real world so you pretend to be a big shot online. Maybe it's not jealousy in your case but it is in some. Maybe you have an unhealthy obsession with unimportant things that are out of your control.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.