• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Short Review - Anysecu / Quansheng UV-K5

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Heard some locals talking about it. They got interested as the firmware can be hacked with software/computer and it can be expanded to RX & TX down to like 26.000 or something close and somewhere through 700mhz. AM Transmit capable via hack as it has circuitry for AM Air band. One of the local experts has done this. Did mention the TX Power in HF area was very low but it did work. Could be useful for listening to Ch 19 on the highway if you didn't have anything else. All I will get into here is basics of what it does out of the box. 5 Watts in 3 steps. (1) 1600 batt.
s-l1600.jpg

TX is 136~173.995 & 400-469.995
RX is:
50~76
FM Broadcast thru FM Radio Mode
108~600mhz
AM Airband RX, can direct enter Air Freqs and will auto-select AM / 108~135.9975
10 Step Voice Scrambler for use with 2 like units.
Auto PL Tone Search
Speaker Mic plug-out is same as Baofeng.
Does NOT program like Baofeng platform. Is very different - will have to read manual
RX seems okay on FM Broadcast and been listening to local airport Unicom about 15 miles away on 18" antenna.
$36 on Amazon from Anysecu Store. Rig is OKAY. Cool to get the handful of extra features over and above the Baofeng Platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Heard some locals talking about it. They got interested as the firmware can be hacked with software/computer and it can be expanded to RX & TX down to like 26.000 or something close and somewhere through 700mhz. AM Transmit capable via hack as it has circuitry for AM Air band. One of the local experts has done this. Did mention the TX Power in HF area was very low but it did work. Could be useful for listening to Ch 19 on the highway if you didn't have anything else. All I will get into here is basics of what it does out of the box. 5 Watts in 3 steps. (1) 1600 batt.
.View attachment 64936
RX is:
50~76
108~600mhz
AM Airband RX, can direct enter Air Freqs and will auto-select AM / 108~135.9975
Auto PL Tone Search
Does NOT program like Baofeng platform. Is very different - will have to read manual
RX seems okay on FM Broadcast and been listening to local airport Unicom about 15 miles away on 18" antenna.
$36 on Amazon from Anysecu Store. Rig is OKAY. Cool to get the handful of extra features over and above the Baofeng Platform.
I have the Radtel version,I must say I am not a fan. Poor AM receive, confusing button layout and just overall dissatisfaction.

.View attachment 64936
RX is:
50~76
108~600mhz
Auto PL Tone Search
A friend and i got these a couple of weeks ago, After the hack there is a few things that need to be understood. The power levels are best around 2 meters and although they can be used on 11 meters the power output is in micro watts output and also does NOT do AM. My friend did the power output across the bands and i will ask him to post it here, It is a very helpful spreadsheet,

I did a quick test of the receive sensitivity and output power of my Quansheng UV-K5 HT transceiver after updating the firmware with the k5_26_encrypted_18to1300MHz bin file. The equipment used was an IFR 1100S communications service monitor and a Marconi 2380/2383 spectrum analyzer. A 'full bar' charge was maintained on the radio during the tests. My UV-K5 did not operate from 630-754.3MHz. Airband on 128.5MHz AM mode measured -113dBm sensitivity. Broadcast band on 102.8MHz WFM mode measured -114dBm. All other tests were conducted in FM mode from 18 thru 1300 MHz using the standard SINAD test with a 1KHz tone for a 12dB result. The output power was measured only at the fundamental transmit frequency in dBm then converted to watts. Typically, more power output was generated in the harmonic content. On my radio, the 2nd and 3rd harmonics were better than 40 dB down on the 2M and 70CM bands.

UV-K5 Power output.png

UV-K5 Sensitivity.png

WFM rx is prety good.
I can receive radio stations from Kalix Sweden about. 160km away from my qth with Nagoya NA-775 antenna
Also air band works better with NA-775.
AM audio cracs some times when signal level chances , but that is not a big broblem.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.