• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Shunt fed tower with Steppir

May 25, 2011
Has anyone shunt fed their tower with a Steppir antenna on top. I am thinking about doing it but I am concerned that there is not enough metal in the antenna for effective top hat loading. Any insight?

There will always be some metal present and that will load the tower a bit but the big problem is that the tower tuning will change depending on what band the Steppir is tuned too.

Than again that may be an advantage and not a problem. I can see it now, fine tuning the tower on 80m by adjusting the element length on the Steppir. :D I wonder how that would work. I suppose the best thing to do would be to tune the tower with the Steppir on 15m and that would allow some lee way either way.

How tall is the tower and what kind is it?

If the tower will be that tall, 80 meters shouldn't be a problem at all. It'd probably load on 160 meters with that antenna on top.
- 'Doc

Tower will load easy on 80 and 160 meters, but do not forget the ground radial system you will need as counterpoise for that shunt fed tower.

Series fed towers are MUCH easier to deal with but insulating them at the base is a problem. Don't forget to insulate the tower from the building it is bracketed too and break up the guy wire lengths into non-resonant lengths.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place