• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sideband mobile CB with best/most audio

preacherman said:
Thanks to all for the responses. I kind of figured the 148/grant would win out here. I probably should have been even more specific and said..."which ssb radio has the best AM audio"? I've had many radios over the years and the Uniden chassis radios are still at the top of the list for me.
preacherman

Here is where you seperate the tech's from the boys.

The 148 dual conversion is the most popular (arguably) chassis ever made. Therefore, it has the most mods.

I'll put my 1 jumper mod against anything that anyone else comes up with. I take a stock radio, put 1 jumper on the solder side board, and get a wide open radio deadkeying 2 watts swinging as wide as the coupler will let it. This usually beats NPC or anything anyone else has come up with (on the radio, not on the wattmeter. I can make a 148 do 55+ watts on the meter, a meter means NOTHING).

That's the EASIEST radio on the market to get to do that. Doesn't matter where it was "manufactured", either. That only points to reliability. Schematically, they are the same. Your not going to get "louder" just because some wave solderer was able to get it right, so to speak. Any other SSB radio can be made to do that.

Matter of fact, I'll do a 146 style chassis that will kill any 8719, either single or dual conversion. Just takes me an hour and a half, instead of 10 minutes, on the 148.

Again, there is no "1 radio", there is only a real technician. And any real technician can make any radio walk the dog.

Hope this helps the original poster. But, to answer your question, I like the 148 chassis, just for simplicity. But, the 146 will KILL it on tx everyday.

--Toll_Free

thedirtmover said:
I dont think 959 even can come close. Its still built like an export, missing that transformer :) for big audio!

The 148 chassis (and similar) don't use a transformer for modulating. They use shunt modulation, with the big xister on the side of the radio.

Learn what your talking about before you open your mouth and look like an idiot.

--Toll_Free

Realistic Trc-451

For me out of about a dozen radio's I've used on sideband the
Realistic Trc-451 is the best sounding of them all using a RK-56 mic. And the receive is awesome. I have a new old stock (or it was until I started using it a couple months ago) President Washington the 1st generation and the realistic picks up signals that the Washington can't, using the same antenna.

Reactions: Slowmover
The SSB mobile radio with the best audio? No question in my mind - that would have to be the Ranger AR-3500. I got two of them - one is the 100 watter and the other is a 35 watter. Outstanding TX audio on SSB - and AM as well...

The Cobra 148GTL is pretty decent too. Same as the Grant XL. Both have equally decent TX/RX audio on SSB and AM. I think anyone should have decent audio for both SSB and AM in any radio they are going to use all of the time. No sense in having/using a one-trick pony...

Without a doubt, a Cobra 146GTL.

AMAZING audio, crisp and clear, looks great on the scope, too.

I recently modded 3 Philly 146's for a buddy of mine, chipswitched the D2824 PLL for the D2816 to get the upper 40 channels, and did a good peak and tune, no clipped mod limiters.

All 3 radios got 23 watts on SSB on my Bird 43A wattmeter on a dummy load, and on my base antenna. He sounds AMAZING on those radios... hard to beat a 146GTL (and similar D2824 chassis) for loud clear audio.

(y)

-Exit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.