• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Signal generator

Mk121

Oct 28, 2015
I have a chance to get a bk 2040 or a bk 2050 signal generator. Which one is better? Anyone have experience with these? Thanks

I have the 2040 and its companion 1040. Does fine for tweaking CB radios. I had to make most of the cables needed to get them to work together. Be sure to have a calibrated frequency counter if you do any work on SSB radios.

So long as the output levels are calibrated in the B&K units, I can't see why these can't work. I'd prefer something more accurate in that regard, such as a Hewlett-Packard generator. Many of the better generators have FM function as well. Of course, that means $300/up for a used sig/generator of that caliber.

The better generators can get very accurate outputs at very low levels, which in turn can also test a radios sensitivity. But for AM only use, the B&K should be OK so long as it has some calibration done to it.

EDIT:
In addition, The freq stability of the B&K must also be taken into consideration. That is, if it has too much freq drift; then it is unacceptable for any serious work.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Rob stated:
In addition, The freq stability of the B&K must also be taken into consideration. That is, if it has too much freq drift; then it is unacceptable for any serious work.

Tallman says
This is the type of gear you plug in for a minimum of 30 minutes before use. It has a stable oscillator in a temperature controlled oven. The voltage of output can be verified with a calibrated oscilloscope. My unit does not drift and the modulating audio and the dual tones for SSB is spot on. Good gear for a low price if you can find them.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. In the meantime I just bought a conar 281. I still might pick up bk 2040 though as well.

The BK2040 has a meter and adjuster that can get you close to the needed 50uV output setting for your S-9 adjustment. So long as it is calibrated, it should be OK. Don't see anything like that on the Conar - though . . .

For that much money (~$250), I would go with a real digital sig/gen that has accurate, programmable output. Like a Hp 8656B, for example.

Last edited:
Well I picked the Conar up for $20 so I'm not worried about it. I thought it was a good deal and now I have something while I wait for a good price on a b&k 2040.

If you're looking to drop receiver sensitivity down below -125 DB hewlett-packard or Agilent make some of the best generators available but to find one that's still within calibration is going to cost some big bucks
Well I picked the Conar up for $20 so I'm not worried about it. I thought it was a good deal and now I have something while I wait for a good price on a b&k 2040.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.