• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

siltronix 1011 VFO

bioman

Nov 13, 2005
reading,pa
i bought a 1011C on yahoo auctions just an hour or so ago http://auctions.yahoo.com/i::110429655

now its going to stay on LSB all the time but move around from about 27.3050 to maybe 27.6050 or so

would a VFO be helpful for me?? if so which particular one?

i know there is a bunch of different siltronix ones that are the same model but have a different number for different radios............

im hoping someone here has a "cheat sheet" that says which one will work for my new radio if you guys think i need it

also which mic will sound good with this???

i was thinking about an old trusty D-104 since after all they were DESIGNED with tubes in mind

anything in particular i should look for inside the radio before i power it up??

i mean other thann obviously burnt wiring etc

thanx in advance

73s to you and yours.....

scott

In a radio that old, it would be wise to replace all electrolytic caps before powering up the unit. Best case scenario with bad caps is lots of hum and extra noise, worst case is dead shorts causing all sorts of potentially expensive and possibly fatal failures.

As for a VFO, you would definitely need a specific frequency range, but my knowledge of VFO models is not good enough to say exactly which you will need. The Siltronix model 90's are a great choice if you can determine which one you need, and if you can find one of proper operating condition.

bioman said:
i bought a 1011C on yahoo auctions just an hour or so ago http://auctions.yahoo.com/i::110429655

now its going to stay on LSB all the time but move around from about 27.3050 to maybe 27.6050 or so

i know there is a bunch of different siltronix ones that are the same model but have a different number for different radios............

im hoping someone here has a "cheat sheet" that says which one will work for my new radio if you guys think i need it

i was thinking about an old trusty D-104 since after all they were DESIGNED with tubes in mind

anything in particular i should look for inside the radio before i power it up??

thanx in advance

scott

Replace every electrolytic cap in the unit.

First. Then, power it up on a variac... If you don't have one, then wire a couple 100 watt light bulbs in series (this limits current, if the radio is bad from the beginning, or the caps have been installed wrong, then the lightbulb or fuse will blow before the radio cord melts :)

And you don't need a VFO. Properly converted, the vfo on the radio works TX and RX. It is not a CB, so it isn't "channelized".

--Toll_Free

bioman said:

thanx in advance

scott
you won't need a Vfo with that radio, i have three of them and they are great SSB units not much on am and drift a little till warmed up, but do get a frequency counter the siltronix type are still to be had on ebay and yahoo auctions. but as for channel tuneing just use the main tuning knob. you have a switch on the front that has cb and 28.5 once you have the radio converted to work in the 27 mhz set at cb and you can transmit from 26.935 to 27.465 set it to 28.8 and you can transmit from 27.415 thru 27.870 use the large part of the tuning dial to get to frequency then use the small part of the dial to fine tune. also you can still get owners manuals on ebay and some other sites. there is also a yahoo group called the siltronix bunch where you can get a lot of info on these radios. also pick up an owners manual from someone. but due get a frequency counter these are truly fun radios. i hope i shedded a little lite for you i am not the best with explanations maybe one o the better well versed guys can take it from where i left off. good luck 73's

Also if you use the D-104 on the 1011C (or D), you might want to turn it down some (if not alot) on the bottom if it's amplified. Those radios don't need much audio input to get alot out, and if you turn up a amplified mic on it, the radio will sound "raspy" and some will tell you that it's off frequency. They seem to favor the non-amplified D-104 but I always just turned mine down. And radioreddz is right about the drift and what ever you do....don't put a "muffin" fan on top or anywhere on it, it will drift alot (I had that bright idea ~20+ years ago) because that crystal inside needs to remain stable in temperature. Hope this helps....and enjoy the radio.

thanx for all the replies

im familiar with turning the D-104s down

i have the one on my 2995 just barely cracked open and use the mic gain on the radio

i wasnt sure if id need a VFO or not ....i thought i might to get into the freeband

i never thought of that about the fan

i had read somewhere else that it as actually RECOMMENDED to put a fan on it sucking air OUT to keep the tubes at a steady temp

theres a matching speaker on ebay i already got outbid on once.....not sure if ill bid again

and im looking for the fd-1011

what kind of wattage should i see out of this radio??

ive found a copy of the manual so im good there

thanx
scott

If I remember right the final output tube is an 8950 and I think ~80-100 PEP AM and ~100-180 PEP SSB depending on how good the tube is. Those numbers are from memory and not carved in stone ;) One way to find out about the fan is....after the radio reaches operating temp. go to sideband and tune someone in. Then take a small fan like a desk fan and blow air across the radio....then listen to the person you tuned in drift off frequency. I believe they used to make little thermal covers for the crystal to keep it stable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.