• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Simplified filter cap replacement for D&A Phantom and Maverick

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Here's a way to simplify replacement of the filter caps in the D&A amplifiers of days gone by.

The original setup for the ten-tube Phantom was two series strings of three caps, each rated 100uf at 350 Volts. This produced the equivalent of a single 33uf cap at 1050 Volts. Since the actual high-side B+ is clower to 900 Volts, this was a reasonable rating.

Nowadays, the axial-lead cap used in the 1970s is expensive. You can buy a so-called "snap-in" type cap meant for pc boards a lot cheaper if you shop around.

One way is to use caps rated for 500 Volts. You only need two of these in series to do the job of the original three parts.

The Maverick used only one string of three caps. The Phantom model used two, for a total of 66uf in the high-side B+.

The Low side was filtered by a pair of these same caps in series. A single 500-Volt part works fine to replace those two.

CEpDEz.jpg

Here is a Maverick we converted to a straight 6-tuber. The Phantom uses the exact same setup. These caps are overkill for a Maverick, and they still provide nearly twice the total capacitance found in the Phantom for High side.

8I8h2G.jpg

Feel free to use smaller ones. It's just easier for me to stock the one type cap for both.

Just don't forget the bleeders. Nothing magic about the resistance value, so long as both resistors in the series pair are the same. Most any value from 220K to 390K is alright for a 2-Watt rated part.

Just don't use old carbon-comp resistors. They have a bad habit of changing resistance value with heat and age. Not a good way to divide the voltage equally two ways on the series pair of caps.

Oddly enough the standard 4/10 of an inch spacing of these 'snap-in' radial caps lines up pretty well with the lugs on the original tie strips used to anchor the original caps. The double-side foam we used to stick them down is called 3M "VHB". It won't get brittle and let go. Heat only seems to make it stick better.

Just don't get zinged removing the old filter caps. Discharge EVERY one of them, one at a time. The factory used only single resistor as a bleeder. Didn't work. The old ones may still be hot. Don't discover it by cracking an elbow when your reflexes draw away from the surprise.

Caps getting smaller and smaller in size,, looks good Nomad thanks for posting.

Here's a way to simplify replacement of the filter caps in the D&A amplifiers of days gone by.

The original setup for the ten-tube Phantom was two series strings of three caps, each rated 100uf at 350 Volts. This produced the equivalent of a single 33uf cap at 1050 Volts. Since the actual high-side B+ is clower to 900 Volts, this was a reasonable rating.

Nowadays, the axial-lead cap used in the 1970s is expensive. You can buy a so-called "snap-in" type cap meant for pc boards a lot cheaper if you shop around.

One way is to use caps rated for 500 Volts. You only need two of these in series to do the job of the original three parts.

The Maverick used only one string of three caps. The Phantom model used two, for a total of 66uf in the high-side B+.

The Low side was filtered by a pair of these same caps in series. A single 500-Volt part works fine to replace those two.

CEpDEz.jpg

Here is a Maverick we converted to a straight 6-tuber. The Phantom uses the exact same setup. These caps are overkill for a Maverick, and they still provide nearly twice the total capacitance found in the Phantom for High side.

8I8h2G.jpg

Feel free to use smaller ones. It's just easier for me to stock the one type cap for both.

Just don't forget the bleeders. Nothing magic about the resistance value, so long as both resistors in the series pair are the same. Most any value from 220K to 390K is alright for a 2-Watt rated part.

Just don't use old carbon-comp resistors. They have a bad habit of changing resistance value with heat and age. Not a good way to divide the voltage equally two ways on the series pair of caps.

Oddly enough the standard 4/10 of an inch spacing of these 'snap-in' radial caps lines up pretty well with the lugs on the original tie strips used to anchor the original caps. The double-side foam we used to stick them down is called 3M "VHB". It won't get brittle and let go. Heat only seems to make it stick better.

Just don't get zinged removing the old filter caps. Discharge EVERY one of them, one at a time. The factory used only single resistor as a bleeder. Didn't work. The old ones may still be hot. Don't discover it by cracking an elbow when your reflexes draw away from the surprise.

Question,
Could you explain to me. You said that you converted a Mavrick to a straight 6-tuber. Can you what you did? did you remove the drivers and add 2 final tubes? I am looking for options on what to do with one i have. Thank you.

did you remove the drivers and add 2 final tubes?
That's the setup. The two driver sockets at the very rear are empty. The two driver sockets nearest the front get rewired in parallel with the four final sockets. The tuned input gets modded.

We may have pictures on file if they didn't fall into the last disk crash 8 or 9 years ago.

I'll have a look next time I'm at work.

That's the setup. The two driver sockets at the very rear are empty. The two driver sockets nearest the front get rewired in parallel with the four final sockets. The tuned input gets modded.

We may have pictures on file if they didn't fall into the last disk crash 8 or 9 years ago.

I'll have a look next time I'm at work.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?