• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Since i am getting frustrated my mind asked me this...

phantom309

Aug 23, 2015
It is obvious I am not intened to have a ham license. I have been studying and doing online pretests for over a year and still am falling short.

In my frustration my mind says to me..... We have the freedom of speech in this country.

That said, I am not going to be a pirate station, but wonder has anyone ever questioned the legality of the license to talk on the radio?

It isn't like we are using the radios for profit like broadcast radio station.

Just a question nothing more, as for me back to studying till my eye friggin bleed again.

You can exercise your right to free speech all you want. The line gets drawn at what medium you use to exercise that right. Stand on a soap box on the street corner if you want. Use a megaphone too if you really want and spew all the racial slurs or whatever suits you if you so desire. Free speech has NOTHING to do with broadcasting by radio in any form. If that was the case any and all profanity would be fine on commercial radio. Operating a radio station is a privilege NOT a right.Not sure what your problem with studying is but the tests today are so simple kids are acing them on the first try and failure rates are VERY low. Most people study the answers to a bunch of questions and don't even bother to actually learn stuff and still pass.

It's the electrical questions and health questions that are giving me a fit.

I am not fixing or building the darn thin so why do I need to know how to read the schematics? I'm not broadcasting standing next to the antenna so how or why am I to know how much rf saturation the human body can absorb before health risks are involved?

Im just frustrated is all. I don't consider myself a dumb person by any means, though I am beginning to wonder.

Just venting mostly caption kilowatt.

It's the electrical questions and health questions that are giving me a fit.

I am not fixing or building the darn thin so why do I need to know how to read the schematics? I'm not broadcasting standing next to the antenna so how or why am I to know how much rf saturation the human body can absorb before health risks are involved?

Im just frustrated is all. I don't consider myself a dumb person by any means, though I am beginning to wonder.

Just venting mostly caption kilowatt.

Well do you expect to be able to get a class 1 license without any understanding of air brakes or anything else related to a big rig? Because you are authorized to build your own gear you should be able to demonstrate an ability to at least understand some electronic terms and symbols. Whether you intend to do so is irrelevant. The next guy down the street may intend to. As for the safety limits there is a lot more too it than whether YOU plan to stand next to an antenna. What if you plan to set up a temporary station in a park for field day operations? You must be sure that the unwary public are within safe limits. What if you plan to install a large yagi and run legal limit from your house that is shoe-boxed between others on a tiny city lot? What if you decide to run high power on 10 Ghz with a dish antenna? You are allowed this with a basic license so therefore even a basic license holder should understand this. As I keep telling my kids about a lot of things, it's not always about YOU and what YOU plan to do or want. YOUR decisions affect OTHERS that have no control over what it is that YOU do.

Not sure what technique you are using to study but I think it may be time to change and suggest looking for a friendly licensed amateur in your area to coach you.

I have been using this site....

https://hamstudy.org/

If you have a better one I would welcome the suggestion.

I drive over the road so I have some time to study, but I do have to deal with distractions like everyone else. I'm also doing online courses for business management, logistics, and accounting which I am proceeding well in those areas.

Perhaps I simply have to much going on currently, and subconsciously my mind just isn't absorbing ham questions as they aren't essential to my future....... Maybe? I haven't a clue.

If you don't mind spending a little money, this one here is what many people use and has been successful for them. I do know it is a complete study guide for all parts of each license class with many links that help explain the technical stuff. That should make it easier for you to learn the the tech stuff as you review it.

Each chapter has the exact practice test and it will show you where your weakness are and review it for you.

They advertise a 100% grantee if you don't [pass the exams.

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/index.html

Thank you I will definitely check it out. I am studying for both tech and general at the same time. Not sure if I can take both on the same day though.

Everyone for the most part says the tech license is basically worthless.

Thank you I will definitely check it out. I am studying for both tech and general at the same time. Not sure if I can take both on the same day though.

Everyone for the most part says the tech license is basically worthless.
Worthless maybe a little strong for a Tech only license, but yes it is too limiting if you like to work a radio using propagation as opposed to mostly repeaters which is a big part of VHF/UHF. The 200 KHz and 200 watt limitations allowed on 10 meters with a tech class is just a tease.

I would recommend study one class at a time until you feel comfortable and can consistently pass the practice exams, then move on to the General. When your comfortable with both, then go for both classes on test day.

Good luck!

Reactions: phantom309
Take it one step at a time!! Study for theTech license only right now, take and pass the test, get your callsign and feel like you've accomplished something. Then play around on the bands you have access to while you study for the General exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2RT307 and 222DBFL
I always remind people who are studying for any of the tests that it is a pass/fail test, not a graded test. That means you can simply ignore questions that you can't remember, as long as you can get enough correct to pass.

Also on the real test there is only likely to be 2 questions from both chapters on the technical parts. Since it is a multiple choice exam, you have a 1 in 4 shot at guessing it correctly.

So yes even if you fail those 2 parts and you still can try to ace the rest of it which shouldn't be too tough to do. I believe you can miss 8 questions and squeak by.

This applies to both tech and general tests.

Keep studying! I used the Gordon West books, and checked my progress with a free online test site. Also took classes at my local club. There is a another free site online that focuses on your weak points, and it really helps to improve in those areas. Don't give up... it will come to you.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.