• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Since nobody believes a 148/grant will do 25+ watts...

I agree, this is nothing but nonesense now. Bottom line is this, can someone probably get 25 watts er so.....I suppose. From a basic peak, tune, and alignment with nothing fancy and no clip 75% of ALL GRANT XL'S will do 14-16 watts AM, and alittle more on SSB. The Grant xl was never intended to be a 25-30 watt radio.

The funny thing about talking to a scope is all it can answer back with is..................
They dont send you flowers
they dont give witty replies like "Holly "s" that thing is breakin' glass and kickin' ass!
I say screw scopes

You talk to the right radio op, he'll give you those lines, sure.

You talk to the right tech, he'll give you those lines too.

DTB Radio said:
skirtchaser said:
I say screw scopes

That kinda sounds like the dude who works on cars in his back yard, and always comes with with a dozen or so left-over parts when he's done.

Talking about back yard mechanics. I knew a guy that would adjust his valves and the timing in the same way, all by EAR. With the engine running and the valve covers off, he would loosen and tighten each one until is sounded right...with the timing, he would rev the engine (no load) and twist the distributor for maximal RPM.

So, every time I read these stories of outrageous wattages, I always think of that backyard mechanic revving the snot out of some poor slobs machine. And I never knew a stock V8 could turn 9 grand.

I put the power down to 20 watts on my Ranger VR900 as I didnt want to over drive the linear amplifier.

But yep the grant will easy do that.

I also had a cobra 148 that pushed near 30 watts out but didnt last long without having to replace things from burning out.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.