• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

single final wattage

"It's all the same, the audio is in the sidebands, not the average carrier."
By golly, you're right! So what's the point of even having a carrier, let's get rid of it completely. And while we're at it, since that second side band is only a duplicate of the first one, let's get rid of that too! I mean, that's only logic, get rid of the duplicated/wasted effort. Right?? Convert the power wasted in that carrier and one side band into the remaining side band. Welcome to the twentieth century!
- 'Doc

If you want to discuss the efficiency of AM and SSB, we can do that. But you said the peak envelope of an AM signal is useless which is absolutely incorrect.

In the end I don't think it's worth it to squeeze a few more watts out as you will never notice it on the other end. And by setting the radio at a moderate level and not fully peaked, it will ensure that the life of the components will most likely last much longer. I have seen 7-8avg forward swing from a 3 watt dead key, radio was a cobra 29 lx le with a 1969 final in it. It does about 30-35 pep. Bought it like that. Someone in Tennessee did the work per the person i got it from. I have seen older cobra 29's do 7 watts avg as well. But you have to watch the talk time. And like I said, nobody on the other end will notice the difference. JMO. God bless.

Reactions: 1 person
In the end I don't think it's worth it to squeeze a few more watts out as you will never notice it on the other end. And by setting the radio at a moderate level and not fully peaked, it will ensure that the life of the components will most likely last much longer.
That's incorrect as well. Changing/modifying components to ring it out is one thing, peaking a resonant circuit is another. A resonant circuit needs to be peaked to transfer the most power to the load, or it is lost as heat within the circuit.

" But you said the peak envelope of an AM signal is useless which is absolutely incorrect."
Please show me where I said that the peak envelope of an AM signal is useless. That isn't what I said at all. You seem to delight in misconstruing what I've said, so, you just go ahead and enjoy your self. Turn what I say into what you want it to mean instead of what was actually said.
- 'Doc

This ought'a be good!

AM mode has no need at all for Pep measuring except 'bigger number's which is very confusing.

Please show me where I said that the peak envelope of an AM signal is useless.

If there is no need to measure the peak envelope, then the peak envelope must be useless, but we all know the audio is what makes the peak envelope. A carrier doesn't convey a whole lot of information without it, so it makes as much sense to measure pep on AM as it does SSB.

I may be wrong but I took doc's statement as a pep meter is useless for am because a good tech will set am modulation with a scope and the typical cb'er just uses them because the numbers are bigger. Then the confusion starts because most people that brag about these big numbers don't know the difference between average and pep anyway. I think you both are on the same page about how AM works.

its easy to make a cobra 29LTD do 50 watts.
not sure what all the fuss is about here.
i guess some people know what they're doing and others just dont?

i will share my secrets on how to make a 50 watt cobra 29LTD with anyone willing to paypal me 10 dollars.

its really very simple to those of us that know what we're doing.

oh wait...
do all of the watts have to be on 27mhz?
LC

its easy to make a cobra 29LTD do 50 watts.
not sure what all the fuss is about here.
i guess some people know what they're doing and others just dont?

i will share my secrets on how to make a 50 watt cobra 29LTD with anyone willing to paypal me 10 dollars.

its really very simple to those of us that know what we're doing.

oh wait...
do all of the watts have to be on 27mhz?
LC
I prefer talking on 54 mhz.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yes, me too!

i have a special mod that i can do to radios that essentially turns them into dual band CB radios!!!

they can talk on 11 meters and 6 meters at the same time! :LOL:
LC

Turn that slug and spread those coils, we can get it to work on more frequencies lol. Good stuff!!

SPREAD SPECTRUM is right!!! How many channels can I bleed onto lol. That's a good radio man it's loud!! Oh the humanity of it, the truckers with their tweaked and wack packed cb's. Almost all of them bleed over 5-10 channels in either direction!!! It is very annoying being on 38lsn and hearing guys on 19 am. Spread spectrum lol. You make me laugh this morning capt!!! God bless.

Turn that slug and spread those coils, we can get it to work on more frequencies lol. Good stuff!!

These are things a lot of us tried early on. I've gotten radios that looked like someone just grabbed a coil with pliers and pulled it straight. When I was first starting to tinker with radios I tried spreading coils (didn't know any better) but it seemed to lower the output or make such a slight increase I'd really have to squint at the meter. The signal is still very dirty but the 29s & 25s I've gotten big numbers out of have no spread coils and tvi slug untouched. I never understood guys that would tweak the tvi trap to see a watt or two more.

Makes me think of some of the CB shops I've been to. A guy brings his radio in for a check up (never understood that either) the tech checks it out and twist some screws. Tells the guy it was only doing 20 watts. I got her up to 22...the last guy to peak and tune it must have been an idiot. The customer leaves happy with his extra two watts that cost him $20.

Yes sir the old I can make it better cb shop BS!! I know exactly what you mean 543, I have gotten radios and popped the covers and was like WTF happened in here, looked like someone just took a firecracker and set it off inside the wiring was so awful. Just to add some bs to a perfectly good radio that once done possibly makes it unusable!! The truck stop crap is funny though as it seems almost every one has the same darn scheme lol. I can make some more watts watch, spread the coils, turn the TVI trap and voila, pretty numbers on a dosy meter no less. Now give me my money lol. It's a shame that most truckers and the average joe have no idea that their radio is not a POS. They think loud is good, even if it's bleeding 10 channels either way of the freq they are transmitting on. But hey, if people don't want to inform themselves with the right info before hand, they are pretty well asking to get ripped off, especially at the truck stop cb shop. Been there done that from Florida to Michigan. I will say I got 2 good radios out of it, a cobra 25 stock and a cobra 29 lx le that had a 1969 final in it, it was from somewhere in Tennessee per the trucker I bought it from. The work looks to be well done, and the radio works well. I let my brother in law use it and he don't want to give it back lol. But anyway, you are 110% correct man. Have a good one. God bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.