• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000 and Wilson 5000

maybe for 442's install the Wilson simply works better. I have had both antennas and found the Sirio had less white noise for me over the Wilson. That and the Wilson developed a leak.
442, let me know if it doesn't sell and I can talk a friend into a Sirio magmount.

Hey maybe it's just my setup, might be the roof rack on the truck but bottom line in my case the Wilson 5000 Mag Mount is a better working antenna ground wave and skip in my environment. Sure am glad I did buy their base antenna to replace my IMax could you imagine spending money for a base antenna too and have it be a turd?? I would be nuts

Hey maybe it's just my setup, might be the roof rack on the truck but bottom line in my case the Wilson 5000 Mag Mount is a better working antenna ground wave and skip in my environment. Sure am glad I did buy their base antenna to replace my IMax could you imagine spending money for a base antenna too and have it be a turd?? I would be nuts

what did ya buy??

SWR meters don't lie, watts are the same using the same radio with antenna in the exact same place so go figure, might just be me and my Italian oil in my body not letting it work correctly LOL

Actually they frequently do. You can have an antenna with a real bad SWR but because of the length of the coax attached to it and the losses in that coax, the SWR at the rig end can look OK.

No idea where you are but it could be that if the Wilson has a steeper take off angle than the Sirio 5000 then depending on terrain that may be better for you. Certainly in hilly areas on VHF and UHF you actually want an antenna with lower gain for better coverage. A 1/4 wave for VHF in a hilly area performs better than a 5/8 wave.

Looking at the picture of your install on the first page, the roof rack isn't going to cause an issue.

MOGVZ I guess it's just where I live and the angle of radiation in my case, that is if the Sirio really is as good as people say.
I was out in my garage yesterday looking for lights for the meters that I knew I had and found the other Wilson 5000 that I have, it looks brand new so I'm ready to go probably until it's dirt nap time for me seeing as I just turned 60 and have had this one on the truck for the last 9 years.

my sirio 2016 base antenna completely out tx/rx the imax it replaced. i will NEVER own
anoth solarcon antenna again

Okay to update, I took my sirio turbo 5000 apart and found there are some things I didn't like, the plating used over the ground ring was one, sanded that to good metal, and also the base solder joint had very little solder. I added some. I then put the antenna back together and replaced the megawatt 4000. All the locals (30+ miles away) said I haven't sounded as good as I did last night for a long time, and I am running just radio. Everyone thought I had an amp on the signal increase was that much. Didn't ask how much but I know it's working because I have been mankind contacts without a problem all day. conditions were good earlier but the antenna is doing it's job right now. VSWR readings across the band are good at 1.1-1.5. Just thought I would share some things that may help with performance or if you are having any issues check these areas.

Reactions: 1 person
Well today I installed my Wilson 5000 again, went to the same large Church parking lot and low and behold the SWR was off quite a bit, had to make the antenna longer by about an inch to make it stay at 1.2 from channel 1 to channel 60 on my Anytone 5555. I then talked to Long Island, 50 air miles and another radio operator heard me talking he lived in Philadelphia more than 65 air miles away, so I guess my Wilson is working just fine and the Italian one is up for sale on a few web sites including Ebay. One guy said he would never buy another Antron product, you can be sure this half Italian American will not be buying any Italian antennas, again, I learned my lesson and wasted a lot of my time changing and tuning antennas lets not even talk about the money wasted.

Reactions: 1 person
Just in case your interested I live about 2 miles off of mile post 74 of the New Jersey Turn Pike in case you want to Google Earth it, dead in the middle of the state. Long Island at it's shortest if about 25 miles and Philly city limits by the college area is about 65 air miles so there is no doubt this antenna works great, no power just the radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.