• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000 and Wilson 5000

Just came back from my wide open parking lot at my Church with the Sirio 5000 and the new mag mount, I have my Anytone 5555 set for 60 channel banks with channel 1 being 26.965 and channel 60 being 27.565 on the band that I use. I calibrated both my old meter and new meter on channel 30 then did the channel 1 and channel 60 reading. Both meters read the same 1.2 on channel 1 and 1.2 on channel 60 with channel 30 being almost flat it just wiggled the meter with 55 watts going out the antenna on AM. So as far as I am concerned there sure isn't any issue with the antenna or the mount and if I did talk over 50 air miles ground wave on SSB probably doing about 30 to 35 watts I would guess to say the Sirio is doing it's job. Now to catch some skip one of these days.

looks great. id say its working. my mim i va has those ribs too along roof. it measures
close too 6 inches apart from each other . im not sure that mount would fit my van

But the big question is.
Connor with all this "your radio is going to have instant death nonscence" have you every witness first hand such demise of a radio??

I haven't but someone at my amateur radio club who had a business fitting commercial 2 ways has. They've seen it basically evaporate the insides of an Icom PMR radio. They'd fitted the radio into a tractor, wired directly to the battery. Someone forgot to reconnect the battery earth terminal and cranked the motor. Cue 200A going straight through the radio. .

I haven't but someone at my amateur radio club who had a business fitting commercial 2 ways has. They've seen it basically evaporate the insides of an Icom PMR radio. They'd fitted the radio into a tractor, wired directly to the battery. Someone forgot to reconnect the battery earth terminal and cranked the motor. Cue 200A going straight through the radio. .
I see at least two things wrong here. NOT fusing the ground side and neglecting to reconnect the ground wire to the battery. I noticed the word "had" with mistakes like that........

Well I brought in the Wilson 5000 Mag Mount and all, gave it a scuff with a 3M scotch brite cloth, wiped it down and have it a few coats of clear Urethane going to do another scuff and and a few more coats tomorrow I can see it will be back in service real soon.

If anyone here really likes the Sirio 5000 and the Sirio mag mount it can be yours for 110 and I will pay the shipping to any of the 48 states

Attachments

• sirio on new mount 6-20-14.jpg
    sirio on new mount 6-20-14.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 2
Not happy with the sirio setup tucker?? I bought the turbo 5000 and I am not as impressed with it as much as the performer 5000, they are the same antenna in a sense but not, the base sections are built differently and I think the performer 5000 worked better from my experience with it. I just don't like how the turbo tightens down. The performer has a different bottom section and tightens totally different. I also noticed the whip size is much skinnier on the turbo 5000 vs my performer 5000, tried use the performer 5000 whip and it was way too fat go down into the turbo's base section so there is something different!! I have a new performer 5000 on the way and am currently using the sirio megawatt 4000 with the longer whip and it works well, just doesn't handle the power the performer will but has a longer whip by about 4 inches. Will update after I get the performer 5000 back on the roof. Anyway sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience with the sirio antenna setup, I am not really happy with the turbo 5000 myself thus the reason for the new performer 5000. Hope all works out and god bless.

Reactions: 1 person
I wouldn't worry about the power. Its not worth it going between the limits on the two anyway and you'll find the coax gives up long before the antennas will. The Megawatt 4000 is 600W continuous and the Performer 5000 is 1500W continuous. Whilst 900W difference may sound a lot that's roughly a 4dB improvement or just over half a S point on a properly calibrated signal meter to the other end. The coax you use would struggle with the 600W and nobody needs to be using even a quarter of that operating mobile.

Reactions: 1 person
Giving the old 5000 some new clear polyurethane paint to with stand some more use before putting it back in service

Attachments

• wilson 5000 repaint 6-22-14.jpg
    wilson 5000 repaint 6-22-14.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 3
Funny thing I have another one in the garage that I bought for the wife's van but she doesn't want it on there all the time so I'm set for antennas for awhile

Not necessarily, I don't use the stock coax, I use lmr-240 which I know will handle over a KW. 123 wireless lmr-240 to be exact, and I do understand the difference in watt value, I just don't advertise. Anyway thanks for the info, and god bless.

I should have known better Italians can't make a car worth a shit what made me think they could make a better Antenna. FIAT fix it again Tony was a real Gem

had to be something with the sirio that you got or just something with your setup because your the first I have read about that hasn't had better results with the sirio 5000 over the Wilson 1000/5000 antenna's

Reactions: 5 people
SWR meters don't lie, watts are the same using the same radio with antenna in the exact same place so go figure, might just be me and my Italian oil in my body not letting it work correctly LOL

SWR meters don't lie, watts are the same using the same radio with antenna in the exact same place so go figure, might just be me and my Italian oil in my body not letting it work correctly LOL

You might be right with the radiation pattern and your vehicle of choice,the reason why you've had good results with the Wilson plus your local. Food for thought. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.