• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000 and Wilson 5000

Where capacitive reactance matches/balances inductive reactance

antenna_impedance.gif

Source (great read and easy to understand):
http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/basics/resonance.php

Did you test your Sirio with a multimeter yet - BTW?

Antenna mfrs have already taken care of the resonance part; that is what it means to be an appliance operator - rather than building one yourself and have to go through the process of making it right.

Last edited:
I went to the listed attachment, downloaded and printed the article, reading it twice. So please explain to me if I buy an antenna designed to be used in the 27 to 28 mhz band width, I operate my radio on the high end of 11 meters meaning 27. 375 27.385 and 27.395 then I should be in the correct spectrum of what the antenna is designed for, if the swr is less than 1.5 across the bands I talk on then what is the issue? I have used a field strength meter with my radio keyed up walking around my truck and do see a bit of a stronger signal front to back as compared to side transmit strength so tell me what is the thing mentioned about 37 hz that someone printed that I should measure and where??

Use will need an antenna analyzer of some type. I have started using my Anritsu site master, looks like this
zaratytu.jpg
ruqary5y.jpg
4u4e7a5y.jpg

This makes Tuning my system a breeze!!!

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I went to the listed attachment, downloaded and printed the article, reading it twice. So please explain to me if I buy an antenna designed to be used in the 27 to 28 mhz band width, I operate my radio on the high end of 11 meters meaning 27. 375 27.385 and 27.395 then I should be in the correct spectrum of what the antenna is designed for, if the swr is less than 1.5 across the bands I talk on then what is the issue? I have used a field strength meter with my radio keyed up walking around my truck and do see a bit of a stronger signal front to back as compared to side transmit strength so tell me what is the thing mentioned about 37 hz that someone printed that I should measure and where??

Since the only difference is the Sirio, take it apart and see if the solder connections on the coil are OK. If a solder joint is broken, use a soldering gun and fix it. That happened to mine - BTW. My fault; hit a low hanging branch (ouch). Also check it with a digital multimeter across ground to center pin for a short; then check it from center pin to whip for continuity. Not much can go wrong with this antenna; so something basic/simple is being overlooked.
That's it . . .

Reactions: 1 person
OBTW theres two coils in that antenna. One in the base under the screws. & one at the base where the whip goes in.(y)

Oops. Not exactly two coils; but it is shunt fed. the lower coil is in series with the upper coil and the tapped point is grounded for matching 50 ohms. Which means that testing it with a multimeter won't work.

My mistake.

6475951_1753.jpg

Since it easy to take apart and inspect, it would be easier just to visually inspect the solder joints instead.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Thanks Big time for all the explanation, but seeing all of this if something was wrong with the antenna wouldn't the SWR be wacky? Why not use the rubber washer? Just asking?

The outside of the so-239 is your ground, I wouldn't think removing the rubber washer would do anything but let moisture in. The inner pin only touches the center of the so-239 then you have your insulator between that and the outer grounding portion of the so-239, if you check it with a multi meter just check the mount so-239 connection for no short. Should be one from center to center and outer to outer. The rubber washer is to keep the antenna base from getting any moisture and to help with tightening the antenna down properly. JMO. And yes the swr would be wacky and you would not transmit and receive as efficiently as possible. Again JMO. Set the swr unless you have access to more accurate and descriptive gear, and roll with it. I will say that you can get the swr pretty low, you just have to keep trimming a little bit at a time. But if is 1.3, and you are comfortable with it, then just use it. Have you gotten the PL145 mag mount yet? Just curious. Anyway god bless and have a great day.

Work it's what I do, I am a cell site technician. It's my work one. I have some nice stuff to play with, just not that big a deal to me for 11 meters I guess. But it's nice to get a real antenna system sweep!!! If you know the machine, you know what it can do. I have a setting already saved for 11 meter frequency. Just calibrate the Anritsu and off to the races. It is a cool toy, one of many I have for measuring rf, also have one of these but it's no good for 11m.
aredyne3.jpg

That's about it for rf tools other than all my connector making hand and drill tools. I build, trouble shoot, and decommission sites. Have done work for just about all carriers. It pays well but I have to travel for work.

Reactions: 2 people
And oh yes you can't forget all the loads and phase cable as well Robb, got all the different barrels and adapters to make just about any connection I need, from SMA to n-male to din male connectors. Perks of the job!!

Look close Charlie Brown, the screws are pulled, the base is just not pulled apart. Glad all this info was posted as now I know what to look for if my antenna should start acting funny. I just got a turbo 5000 and I think I liked the performer better. I just don't like the way the antenna screws down to tighten. More stress on the coils and other parts when tightening it down IMO. Wish they would come out with the new version of the performer 5000, would like to see what, if any changes were made.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.