• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000...two questions

Uncle Charlie

Oct 22, 2013
OK ... you guys have lead me to the Sirio 5000, and I need to know what is the height from the bottom of the mag mount to the tallest part when folded down ? To know if it will clear my garage door in the folded position. I can't find any specs stating the folded height.

Also why choose the Performer, over the Turbo ? To me the handle on the Performer is advertising, saying take me while no one is looking.

If nobody answers, PM Mad Scientist and ask him. I know he's been really busy lately and not on here as much as usual. He has the mag mount and Sirio 5000 and should be able to tell you.

RT307

The performer might hold better. I read somewhere that the Turbo has a tendency to slip. I ordered the Turbo anyhow because I didn't like the looks of the handle and found out that you really have to tighten it to hold or turn it to where it won't tip over. It takes two hands to tighten or loosen it, because it wants to unscrew off the mag mount. it won't be a problem for me, because I don't need to lay it down.

I just saw this post. My Sirio PL 5000 w/145 mag mount is about 78" tall. I did change the coax to 18' of rg-8x. It is a little tall but it really get out very well.

Yep. It's the next thing to having a SS 1/4 wave whip without the lower part being beside the vehicle. Also,the twang really gets my attention when my Performer PL5000 bumps into low overhead things.
Brian Regan-Spider Webs And Bees - YouTube

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I will say that the tip will bend if it takes a hard hit, my trip from Grand Rapids to Milwaukee, I hit several low bridges and by the time I got to Milwaukee the top of my antenna was bent into a box shape. It took a lot to get it back kind of straight. I am on my second whip and have has this one Bend about 6-8" down the from the tip from hitting low branches. I bend it back but am soon going to but a 102 ss whip and cut it down and drill out my base and try that. My roof line is really high so this is why I hit so much stuff at 8ft9in, my roof is tall, with the antenna it comes in at 14ft 3in total lol. But I do love the antenna as it blows my k40 out of the water, I saw the proof myself as I got recorded the other night on classic radio roundup on dec 4. I got a 2 unit increase by switching antennas from the k40 to the sirio. They are well worth the money, don't get me wrong, they are not meant to be mounted so high but I like it as it definitely helps with talking dx. Anyway good luck and god bless.

Mine hits a low branch four times a day almost every day, has done for nearly 2 years and seems to be fine. Replacement whips for the Sirios are cheap - around £10 here in the UK.

Yeah I think it's probably more the bridges and overpasses as my tip is at roughly 14ft 3in. I have to order the whole bottom end when I order a new whip, costs me around 38 dollars each, I have 3 total, one is still in the package just in case, I am going to try what I saw a other member do and it was to use a 102 ss whip cut down, I love the antenna though and will say again don't let my little issue keep you from getting one as I am running mine higher than most would normally.

Mine is leaned forward as well but when leaned back it doesn't do so well. Looses it's ears and tx here's a photo
ygunusuz.jpg

The tip is at 14ft 3in, I like it there and it's only an issue when I hit a low bridge or a tunnel or overpass. I have 3 bases and whips, going to drill one out and try the cut 102" ss whip. Like I said don't let my problem of height stop you from getting one as it's my decision to run it that high and i will gladly pay for another whip of needed. I love mine that much lol. It's my work van and there aren't too many flat spots that the mag mount will fit, the center of the hood maybe, but other than that it's all rounded front end. It's a Nissan NV3500 tall back work van.

I just saw this post. My Sirio PL 5000 w/145 mag mount is about 78" tall. I did change the coax to 18' of rg-8x. It is a little tall but it really get out very well.

Why change coax to 18 ft of rg-8x? especially as the mag 145 pl is supplied with not only high quality mil spec rg58 but also a halfwave impedance repeater of it at 27.5 mhz. Starting already to reveal what these antennas were designed for, not legal cb, but highest performance in illegal band between US/UK legal bands around 27.500 mhz.

funnily enough US cb band ends at 27.405 and UK band starts at 27.60125, as you can see, 27.5 lies almost plum in the centre, there's madness in their method.

18 ft is a myth for rg58 and an even bigger myth for rg-8x which will no doubt have velocity factor in the .79-.85 range. theres absolutely no reasoning behind your choice of length,apart from cb myth.

if you want to replace the original coax, why not use a halfwave multiple like sirio do, ever wonder why they give you exactly 3.6m on an mag145pl?

rg58 has velocity factor of approx .66, so 300/27.500/2 x .66 = 3.6m, tells you they expect it to be used between 27 and 28 mhz,centred on 27.500

if it didn't do anything why would a company like sirio go to the bother of exact cutting and not just stick random lengths on?

assuming your velocity factor is .84 then for your coax thats gonny be 300/27/2 x.84m =4.66m or x 3.28 to get it in feet for you non colonialists,lol, = 15.30 feet multiples or 15 ft 3 1/2 inches, a 30 ft 7 inch lead will show exact same swr.

or

300/27.5/2 x .84 = 4.58m or x 3.28 = 15.02 feet, 15ft is close enough.

it doesn't need to be odd wavelengths either, that only applies to odd 1/4 wave multiple impedance inverters,primarily used for cophasing antennas or matching antennas.

you can change the 27 to 27.5 if you only use between 27 and 28 mhz or 27.185 if you only use 40 ch.

27.000 centres it for anywhere between 26 and 28 mhz but is only adviseable on the bigger wider banded sirios like hp/megawatt 4000 and performer 5000.

it won't change swr at antenna,only tuning antenna will achieve that, but it will give more accurate readings as every halfwavelength in coax the impedance repeats itself, minus minute cable losses, especially at such short lengths.

the further you go from that centre frequency the less accurate your readings will be as reactance starts to play a part.

Sirio have taken into account most people measure swr in a remote location, ie shack or away from antenna, not where it should be measured, right at feedpoint of antenna,therefore giving you the most accurate readings a remote location will allow for.it will always be slightly higher even if its not noticeable on a pretty innacurate cb swr meter at the feedpoint as there is no return loss to reduce readings.

Sirio don't fuck about,they have thousands of pounds/dollars worth of anechoic chamber for accurate testing of scaled down models and military grade modelling software,again costing thousands,they have improved upon even avanti's designs for performance albeit not for strength to cut costs and retail price, these guys know what they are doing.

18 feet is nothing more than snake oil,i've supplied the reason, the mathematics (for different cables and centre frequencies) and the extent Sirio go to perfect things, its time this 18 foot myth <can not stand it>was put to bed once and for all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.