• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio 5000...two questions

I've been here for quite some time and this week is the first time I've seen you post. Was it because you were banned like you have been on every other site you've ever been on?

I notice a lack of posting in the amateur section. Is it because you're incapable of passing even the foundation license or because you know that you'll be a little fish in a big pond?

I've been here for quite some time and this week is the first time I've seen you post. Was it because you were banned like you have been on every other site you've ever been on?

I notice a lack of posting in the amateur section. Is it because you're incapable of passing even the foundation license or because you know that you'll be a little fish in a big pond?

LOL, you really are delusional, I've made 1750 posts on here not counting those that were lost or deleted when I got a bit carried away ripping a mong like you a new ass, I've been banned here 3 times and Transmission 1 once, nowhere else, and i've been on a few.I joined in 2008,although that may be dated from last ban, you tried same shit on HRD and got laughed at as I'd been there long before you too.

I have no interest in Amateur radio because of people like you, I was pirating ham and other bands 35 years ago, probably when you were playing with walkie talkies,I've helped one young ham in Leeds to achieve his intermediate license,As hes near you i'm sure he'll confirm it, I also helped him pass his foundation and if he wants I'll get him past his full license too.

I don't post in the Amateur section as there is guys there more knowledgeable than me on matters ham, albeit you ain't one of them,I used too, and I think if you read back you'll find most of the advice I gave was accurate or helpful, unlike the drivel you spout.

If i was in your pond i'd be a barracuda to your nemo, a fucking clown fish !!!

unlike you i don't copy and paste others work, but if you don't believe me feel free to copy and paste anything i've typed and google it, i guarantee it will take you back to the page you copied it from,

as for my quality of input be it in ham or cb section, i'll let others judge that, preferably those that know more than you, about 99.9999999999 % of the forum.

your so fond of telling everyone how i got banned from Transmission 1, you forgot to mention many wanted me back, no-one wanted you back,I leave you with this quote I believe made by Northern 35, if I'm not mistaken another amateur,

I'll even type it as a quote for you as i know how much you love and understand the concept of quoting as opposed to posting a pm:

" JAZZSINGER v RETARD THREADS, what the internet was made for "

I do believe he was referring to me ripping you a new asshole for the first time, how many times is that now? you must have more arseholes than the whole Conservative party and Royals put together now !!!!! :headbang:headbang:pop::pop:

LOL, you really are delusional, I've made 1750 posts on here not counting those that were lost or deleted when I got a bit carried away ripping a mong like you a new ass, I've been banned here 3 times and Transmission 1 once, nowhere else, and i've been on a few.I joined in 2008,although that may be dated from last ban, you tried same shit on HRD and got laughed at as I'd been there long before you too.

I have no interest in Amateur radio because of people like you, I was pirating ham and other bands 35 years ago,

Didn't you get prosecuted by OFCOM or is there another George from Glasgow who flies off the handle at the slightest thing? Some of those on Transmission1 seemed to think you were and its interesting that there's mention of a ban in the following video.....

Is this you George?

Is this you George?

Are you the "Milton Nutter" as your local paper described George the nutjob on the CB?

Scan_204.jpg

You've had 3 bans on here, a lifetime ban from TM1 and a lifetime ban from HRD...certainly compelling evidence.

Last edited:
I've talked to George 108AT144 for the first time earlier this year. In fact, I specifically remembered that he was reasonably polite. He never had a cross word with me, so he obviously was ticked off with some of his local operators in that video for whatever reasons were his own. If in fact, it even was him.

*EDIT*
This thread has gotten off theme. Think we can get back on subject again?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've talked to George 108AT144 for the first time earlier this year. In fact, I specifically remembered that he was reasonably polite. He never had a cross word with me, so he obviously was ticked off with some of his local operators in that video for whatever reasons were his own.

That'd be fine if the video was a sole example however there are many examples including a TV news report of him effin and jeffin and threatening the reporter.

He seems to be putting a lot of videos up on Youtube to try and prove he's a good operator and a reformed character. Shame they're also videos showing him using a Yaesu FTDX5000 on 27.555 which is completely and utterly illegal and given his previous prosecutions could result in jail time. Maybe he is now he's got a rig worth £1000s which would be confiscated if someone did complain.

Just want to update my experience with the sirio PL5000 with the 145 mag mount.
I just replaced the whip that comes with the antenna, with a cut down 102" ss whip from radio shack. I had to use a 13/64 drill bit to get the diameter correct for the larger size of the 102" whip. Turned out nice, it is heavier for sure, but I like the way it came out. Now I will tune it as I haven't put the swr meter on yet. I cut the 102" whip to the same length as the stock whip so the swr should be pretty close. May have to take a bit off, will see. Here are a couple of photos. I did this mod after seeing someone else posting about it and I have 3 bases, so I thought I would give it a shot. Will post back swr results and how it performs at highway speed as well as this is definitely a bit heavier and stiffer whip.
9uvebu6a.jpg
yguqupet.jpg
e2etaha6.jpg
u7a5yrad.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I think I'd have someone keeping an eye on the magmount. Its certainly not something I would entrust to be held in place by a magmount that size. I would want to be using a triple magmount at the least. They're OK when you're using the stock whip which is a lot thinner, a lot lighter, has more flex and therefore lower wind resistance than what you've used.

Is drilling a hole and fitting a permanent fixed mount an option?

No can't do the permanent thing as it's my work van, but on the underside of the mag mount there are 5 5" heavy duty magnets that help with the added weight. It's pretty solid, I bent the whip pretty far back and the mag mount never budged. I don't think it's going anywhere but will test it at lower speeds before getting on the highway just to be safe. I am happy with the results anyway thus far and have been to 50 mph with no issues.

One possibility about that 4 meter length, or 17' 4" length is that......
- 'Doc

i couldn't read any farther then THIS quoted post, so i don't know the outcome, but i have 1 major, major MAJOR issue with this.....4 meters equals 13.1234 feet....so where does '4 meters or 17' 4"' or 18' or whatever come from???
sorry :)

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I think it would be fairly safe to take Mr. Mercurio's explanation. The coax isn't used for any sort of timing/phasing or impedance matching, it's just to get the signal to the antenna. One possibility about that 4 meter length, or 17' 4" length is that European cars are shorter than in the USA? Or that a meter stick happens to be what they were measuring the feed line's length with?
Using the length that reaches comfortably from here to there is the correct length for almost all installations. The exceptions to that don't apply here.
- 'Doc

Here's W5LZ's post.
Also,I wonder why Mr. mercurio made the statement about if the vehicle has a sizable roof area that it can be used as a ground plane and not the coax. Anybody want to chime in here?

"In fact if the magnetic mount has a correct surface, is the roof to work as ground plane and not the cable"

Correct surface,meaning the vehicle roof and not some other part of the vehicle.

Last edited:
The differences in the lengths? Who knows how/what that amounts to? Unless that particular length is used for 'timing'/phasing it just doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Over analyzing things can really get confusing. Since the source says that it doesn't amount to timing/phasing, then why question that? It's the amount of feed line that's provided by the manufacturer. 4 meters or something like 13 - 14 feet as opposed to 18 feet from an American manufacturer... Whoopee, big deal.
Make anything out of it you want to...
- 'Doc

I think I'd have someone keeping an eye on the magmount. Its certainly not something I would entrust to be held in place by a magmount that size. I would want to be using a triple magmount at the least. They're OK when you're using the stock whip which is a lot thinner, a lot lighter, has more flex and therefore lower wind resistance than what you've used.

Is drilling a hole and fitting a permanent fixed mount an option?

The 145 Mag mount is a very strong mount. Not like the Wilson 5000 mount. It should still work very well.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned