• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio mobile ntennas

"Thats exactly what I was gonna say and its no different then runniong a Wilson or K40 and there isnt any problems with salt and winter issues"

there is plenty a difference there. not sure how they use salt in your area, but here they use that superconcentrated brine soultion on the roads 24 hrs before a storm. it is strong enough to rot a brand new car pretty well within a year.

sirio

Looked at the web link posted above.

Which one is the best?

I have a Wilson 5000 now and am happy with the results. But, if the Sirio is better, it might be time for an upgrade :mellow:

Reactions: 1 person
not sure how they use salt in your area, but here they use that superconcentrated brine soultion on the roads 24 hrs before a storm. it is strong enough to rot a brand new car pretty well within a year.

That brine spray is, or should be, magnesium chloride. Mag chloride is "supposed" to be less corrosive than salt. I used to work at a company that harvested it from the Great Salt Lake. For deicing, they mix it 50 gallons per 1000 gallons of water. However not all road departments use it.
Some have decided it's cheaper to build a huge pile of salt, dig a trench around the pile, and spray the pile with water. Then they collect the water from the trench and spray it on the roads. Much more corrosive.
Fyi the states do continue to use mag chloride in the summer for dust control on dirt roads. It's a much weaker blend 1 gallon per 1000 gallons of water, but it's still mag chloride. So when your running down that dirt road with not a thought of salt damage to your car or antennas, think again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 person
so thats what they are using. figures. so now im going to have to find a way to protect it from corroding. the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is using a liquid rubber arasol spray that is non-inductive......i.e liquid electric tape. i used it before with good results but that was with a fixed antenna. the sirio has that lay down feature so if i treated it with that i would be able to use that feature. i guess it wouldn't matter. i could just unscrew it from the mount and place it in the vehicle.

I just purchased the P-5000 and I installed it on my Wilson 1000 Mag-Mount, And it seems to me that the P-5000 is Too Heavy for the Mag-mount ??? I hate to lose this set up going 75 MPH down the Interstate. Made that mistake once before with a different set-up. NOT GOOD. I did see a 6" Mag Mount for the P-5000 from H&Y Electronics. Anybody tried this set-up from H&Y ??? Also the Wilson 1000 Mag mount is 4.75" Across= Diameter.

the wilson mag is to small to hold the antenna at highway speeds. i would get the sirio mag for it. that is what i have for mine and it seems to work very well . it is listed as 160 mm diameter and will hold it up to 70 mph. if you frequently go over that speed a hard mount should be considered.

The Z-180 was a Sirio product.

The Z180 I got in a H&Y packaged sale was made by RM/KLV. The cheap ass coax, weak mag mount, and heavy stinger was the reason it was placed almost immediately into a landfill.
Piece of shit.

i have herd this before from someone that got the antenna as a "bonus" for buying other items. from what i understand when they offer package deals they tend to have the bottom end accesseries such as what you describe. was wondering if you bought this, or was it a "bonus" for buying other items? did you do any testing with it other than just a visual assessment? or did you just write it off? kind of hard to label an antenna a piece of crap without doing any testing of the antenna itself. especially when it is well known that the z-180 was a very good antenna. in anycase.....perhaps it would have been a better statement to say it was a crappy package deal.

it kind of makes me wonder. if you bought it, perhaps you should have done more research on it.

if not, what are you complaining about? it was free.

Last edited:
i've used loads of different sirio mobile antennas and the associated mag 125pl or mag145pl, they ain't the best built, but they are reasonably priced, they will outperform just about every other commonly available antenna except a full 1/4 wave whip,

when taking them off the vehicle a quick wipe down with a dry towel just about minimises any chance of corrosion, like fishing rods being lazy and dumping them in a corner whilst wet isn't going to to do them much good on the corrosion front, every corroded sirio i ever came across was neglected by its owner. the first choice for any serious mobile dx'er in europe.

that is of course if you remove them. most people that i know of do not. and to remove the antenna everytime it rains or snows and is an unessary chore added to the long list of more important things that people need to do.

i am wondering if you suffer from the same corrosive conditions in the winter months as we do here in the northeastern part of the u.s.

it is similar to the old aluminum ground planes of the past. where the metal was wiped down with a good quality silicone compound before assembly and was usually good for several years or longer before it had to come down for some r&r. i do beleive that if the exposed metal serfaces can be coated with a good quality non-inductive compound, it should add a few more years to the service life of the antenna.

i've used loads of different sirio mobile antennas and the associated mag 125pl or mag145pl, they ain't the best built, but they are reasonably priced, they will outperform just about every other commonly available antenna except a full 1/4 wave whip,

when taking them off the vehicle a quick wipe down with a dry towel just about minimises any chance of corrosion, like fishing rods being lazy and dumping them in a corner whilst wet isn't going to to do them much good on the corrosion front, every corroded sirio i ever came across was neglected by its owner. the first choice for any serious mobile dx'er in europe.

I like mine. Got the best DX to date with that antenna. Italy, Germany, and even Ireland twice from here in California. Would have gotten the Canary Islands on 10m if it wasn't for the huge pileup and using less than 30 watts. Sure it was the DX conditions; but it always seems to make more contacts than my Wilson has.

Guess you guys in Europe don't like the 'whisky still' type of antennas. Like the Predator 10k and such. Not really surprised to hear that the Sirio is the favorite - tho . . .

not everyone here in the states likes them either. i don't. not because they don't work, there just not my style.

i think the sirio's are a breath of fresh air here in the radio world in the states. it dosen't take much to take something into overkill. with everyone driving around with a antenna that looks like a giant high voltage insulator. or better yet, something from a frankenstein movie. to each their own i guess.

not everyone here in the states likes them either. i don't. not because they don't work, there just not my style.

i think the sirio's are a breath of fresh air here in the radio world in the states. it dosen't take much to take something into overkill. with everyone driving around with a antenna that looks like a giant high voltage insulator. or better yet, something from a frankenstein movie. to each their own i guess.

1+

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned