• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio mobile ntennas

hotrod

Feb 16, 2007
n.w pennsylvania
so im thinking about getting another sirio mobile antenna. my mm9 draws too much attention and my old z180 seemed to do very close to the mm9. ive seen the z180 is no longer around
but h&y has 3 that will fit a wilson mag mount
p-5000
turbo-5000
hp4000
any differences in these ?any one as good as the z180?

Man I been running the Performer 5000 for over a year on my car and was so impressed I put one on my truck about 9 months ago. I am running a 2x8 in my car doing around 2000. No problems. I pucked mine with one of Mr Breedlove's pucks. Running RG-213. Ive talked over 100 miles mobile to base.. I had a wilson 5000 before that and when I compared them there was 2 s-units difference in TX & RX. I highly recommend them. I have talked more DX with this antenna than any other and ive had a few. My car out hears and out talks most of the base stations around here. Its crazy??? Guess its just a good one.???? Didnt take but 20+ years to finally have my turn LOL..^can not stand it^

Reactions: 4 people
Man I been running the Performer 5000 for over a year on my car and was so impressed I put one on my truck about 9 months ago. I am running a 2x8 in my car doing around 2000. No problems. I pucked mine with one of Mr Breedlove's pucks. Running RG-213. Ive talked over 100 miles mobile to base.. I had a wilson 5000 before that and when I compared them there was 2 s-units difference in TX & RX. I highly recommend them. I have talked more DX with this antenna than any other and ive had a few. My car out hears and out talks most of the base stations around here. Its crazy??? Guess its just a good one.???? Didnt take but 20+ years to finally have my turn LOL..^can not stand it^

sounds good.ive got a z180 sitting around somewhere. but its not a sirio. and it slightly
out did my wilson 5000 mag mount. well i found my mag mount but it needs new coax
does anyone know how 2 replace the coax. or could put up a link?

Reactions: 1 person
sounds good.ive got a z180 sitting around somewhere. but its not a sirio. and it slightly
out did my wilson 5000 mag mount. well i found my mag mount but it needs new coax
does anyone know how 2 replace the coax. or could put up a link?

The Z-180 was a Sirio product.

Good info all. I have Wilson 1000 and I bought a Siro 5000 Performer a while back but I need to install it. I think I'll do it. (y)

for those that use the sirio antennas such as the p 5000 and the turbo 5000 in areas that get bad winters with excessive salt use. im wondering how you protect those antennas from corrosion? any ideas?

Since they are made of plastic and stainless steel; can't see how that would be an issue . . .

Thats exactly what I was gonna say and its no different then runniong a Wilson or K40 and there isnt any problems with salt and winter issues ETC I have been messing with about 6 different antennas over here because my Wilson 5400 has seen its last day on the wifes vehicle SWR is high and I tried several different length whips with no prevail.

I tried a NugaTron and a few other coily antennas Solarcon ETC and all mt whips must be to short because the NugaTron and Solarcon coily antennas have abot a 1.8 SWR and when I ad a 3/8 inch studmount antenna spring the SWR damn near flattens out but I cant run them damn sprins because the antenna will just foldback and hit my wifes 2 meter antenna.

I had pulled the spring off the gold Solarcon in was attatched to and just used the damn antenna tuner thats inline with my wifes Yaesu FT-857D I have been thinking about just buying and trying the SIRIO P5000 this week and saying the hell with all these damn antennas I have here and if the Sirio works as good as what the reviews say Ill just sell the damn NugTron on Ebay and sell the other coily antennas on Craigslist I have a few still in there packages I just p[icked up lastweek with a van load of equipment I bought.

Ive seen good things on the SIRIO P500 so its worth a try I ran Wilson antennas since the 1990's and loved them and used them on 10-11 meters but if the sirio works then that will be my new antenna if I decide to do it Ill order on Weds and it should be here Sat or Mon.

the sirio p 5000 and turbo models are not stainless.....just the whip is stainless. the ball joint and the mast that holds the whip is triple chrome plated brass. i came across a post somewhere where someone had a problem with the chrome plate starting to pit in that joint causing high swr issues. i also had a corrosion issue with the steel plate over the ferrite with my 1000 mag. it corroded to the point when it stated loosing what little capacitive ground it had leading to swr issues, which is why i bothered with the 5000 in the first place. however, i have come up with a way to kill the corrosion problem all together with the wilson mags, and i am going to try it out on the sirio as soon as i get the chance( was hoping that someone else had tried something similar). seems like we are in the middle of the rainy season here in the northeast, looks like sat or sunday will be the better days.

"Ive seen good things on the SIRIO P500 so its worth a try I ran Wilson antennas since the 1990's and loved them and used them on 10-11 meters but if the sirio works then that will be my new antenna if I decide to do it Ill order on Weds and it should be here Sat or Mon"

i think you will be very supprised with the sirio. i liked(past tense) the wilsons as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.