• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio Performer 5000 swr problem

milocs

Aug 25, 2010
North Carolina
hi i have a Sirio 5000 Performer and sirio 145 magnet mount
president lincoln and a ts dx350 and a workman hp201s meter
all mounted in a 1996 Nissan quest all is new except radio and the dx350.
problem....
I set my swr on ch1 and ch40
I get 1.2 lowest with 4 watts dead key no mod.. fine
as I add more watts say 35 watts
and recalibrate meter myself swr already almost 1.6 this is barefoot radio I add dx350 and dead key radio 1watt amp at about 60watt recalibrate and swr is off in the red 3 or 4 any ideas thanks

forgot to mention I have added ground strap to the dx350 removed it and no change but I reinstalled it just in case plus I have done some quick dx tests from NC to PR and gotten some good reports just not transmitting for now don't want to blow anything up

forgot to mention I have added ground strap to the dx350 removed it and no change but I reinstalled it just in case plus I have done some quick dx tests from NC to PR and gotten some good reports just not transmitting for now don't want to blow anything up

Check and re-check all connections...might be RF loop or reflect problem

Check and re-check all connections...might be RF loop or reflect problem
ok will do sounds good I have checked jumpers I even had removed the amp and meter and tested only radio to antenna and same result as I add power swr increase what can cause this ground loop I've been on radios since about 20yrs never had this problem got me thinking

ok will do sounds good I have checked jumpers I even had removed the amp and meter and tested only radio to antenna and same result as I add power swr increase what can cause this ground loop I've been on radios since about 20yrs never had this problem got me thinking

Ground straps may help ..hood to frame...battery to frame ECT...or you may have reflect...did you hard mount antenna?

Bearcat thanks
my antenna is currently original 145 magnet mount from sirio
this is my second magnet mount antenna other was a super penetrator on magnet if I can't resolve will try and order hard mount

you checked the swr with out the amp in line? if jumper between amp and radio is fine the swr isnt gonna change,,, any readings you get with the amp inline and on will be false readings,,, just check swr with low power if it is good then add amp,,,,most amps will give false readings,,, that is why i use a mfj259 to do swr and resonant readings on my antennas,,, probably some one can get what i am trying to say in better words but i tried,,,,

you checked the swr with out the amp in line? if jumper between amp and radio is fine the swr isnt gonna change,,, any readings you get with the amp inline and on will be false readings,,, just check swr with low power if it is good then add amp,,,,most amps will give false readings,,, that is why i use a mfj259 to do swr and resonant readings on my antennas,,, probably some one can get what i am trying to say in better words but i tried,,,,

ok i have tried radio to meter to antenna verified with different jumpers and different radios i set swr 1.2 ch 1 and ch 40 @ stock 4 watts all is good just if i add more power even without the amp swr goes high i also stated i also did just radio to antenna and same more power swr goes higher on radio meter also sorry if i repeated some of the same from above and again thanks for the input

well if it set with 4 watts then it is good to go,,,adding amps will give false readings from harmonics,,, you would have to do a lot of filtering to get it good,, so if you set swr at 4 watts you are good to go,, dont worry unless you have extremely high swr come up,,,,,

Reactions: Bearcat
...,,,adding amps will give false readings from harmonics,,, you would have to do a lot of filtering to get it good,..,,

err,................ read post # 8, but,............... the readings won't be "false".
the point wasn't to "add" filtering. the point was to determine where the harmonics were originating from.
..... can you say "Golden screwdriver"?

I can go from QRP to QRO and my vswr doesn't change.

Reactions: Bearcat
Your vswr shouldn't change much if at all by adding an amp in line as long as the amp is matched correctly. An impedance mismatch may be the root of your issue. The input/output of the amp needs to be tuned for 50ohms. Maybe your antenna isn't showing a 50ohm load and if this is so your vswr will rise with the amp in line most likely. Or the amp isn't showing the vswr meter a 50ohms load. This is where an antenna analyser is needed. vswr isn't everything. There are more things at play than just a vswr reading. I am learning this myself and what I have seen is with an impedance mismatch the higher the power the higher the vswr goes. Not a whole bunch unless it's really mismatched, but enough to show on an swr meter. Just my experience. And 1 penny worth. Good day.

Reactions: midnight special

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated