• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio Performer 5000 swr problem

I have an older model I think it's a sirio hi power 4000 possibly thinking of getting the newer model there seems to be a cheaper version also pl 5000 and a performer .

5000 performer comes in 2 types now, base loaded and center loaded. One has a shaft and one doesn't. The performer 5000 is a bit shorter than the hp4000, not by anything significant. The performer 5000 folds at the base and not up higher like the hp 4000. I liked the hp4000 myself but the whip was a bit on the thin side IMO. Could have used the 4mm whip and been fine. The smaller whip just seemed to bend too much while traveling at hwy speeds. The older sirio performer 5000's had the 4mm whip and now have the 3.5mm whip. Doesn't seem like much, but the older ones were a bit more robust and had a better tip. Not as skinny as the new ones. I know, .5mm, but it was enough to make a difference IMO. I've an old one and a new one and the old whip is def. thicker. And better taper. Not knocking the new antennas as I currently use one myself, just wish they would have kept the thicker whip. Rant over, some antennas are on sale and some are the newer models like the rigid 4000, curious to see one of those in person but have way too many mobile antennas to just buy another. If you happen to get one, post up some pics.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
I have an older model I think it's a sirio hi power 4000 possibly thinking of getting the newer model there seems to be a cheaper version also pl 5000 and a performer .

Save your money. The 5000 performs no better than the 4000, in fact its identical, so you're setting fire to money but both the 4000 and 5000 perform better than the 3000 enough to make it worth buying one.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I used to run a sirio megawatt 4000 I've heard the newer pl performer 5000 are top shelf
5000 performer comes in 2 types now, base loaded and center loaded. One has a shaft and one doesn't. The performer 5000 is a bit shorter than the hp4000, not by anything significant. The performer 5000 folds at the base and not up higher like the hp 4000. I liked the hp4000 myself but the whip was a bit on the thin side IMO. Could have used the 4mm whip and been fine. The smaller whip just seemed to bend too much while traveling at hwy speeds. The older sirio performer 5000's had the 4mm whip and now have the 3.5mm whip. Doesn't seem like much, but the older ones were a bit more robust and had a better tip. Not as skinny as the new ones. I know, .5mm, but it was enough to make a difference IMO. I've an old one and a new one and the old whip is def. thicker. And better taper. Not knocking the new antennas as I currently use one myself, just wish they would have kept the thicker whip. Rant over, some antennas are on sale and some are the newer models like the rigid 4000, curious to see one of those in person but have way too many mobile antennas to just buy another. If you happen to get one, post up some pics.
For sure partner I will post a picture when it Arrives .

The performer 5000 is a great antenna for a base loaded type antenna. About as close to a 108" whip, some say. I know they are good antennas when tuned properly and used with a good radio. Adding an rm Italy kl203p to the uniden 980 makes it a nice 50-75 watt mobile on SSB. Lower the dead key to 2 watts min to keep the internal meters working properly for swr and such, for SSB you should be just fine. Might not hurt to add a small fan to the back of the 980 if you're going to talk a lot. They do get hot. Turning back SSB power helps, but a fan or a heat sink would be the best ticket. And if you get the rm Italy kl203 add a fan to it as well. Just some food for thought for later down the road. With conditions picking up, you should be able to make some SSB contacts. Take your time tuning the antenna. Don't rush, find the sweet spot and then get at it!!! Good day and maybe we will hear you on air!!

Reactions: tecnicoloco
Bumping a old thread for help please.
I have a sirio 5000 on a larger sirio mag base. It came to me used looking almost new.it's the latter 3.5 mm base whip not older 4 mm as I read .
Whip has been trimmed a tad to 1785 mm long .
Coax length was 13'.

I found this post whilst searching for answers to why the 5000 had a high swr.
Checked it over and found a nasty crush on coax so I replaced it with quality rg 58 however used a12' length rather than 13'.
All looks ok now visually , grounding seems to work too on test.

Problem is I cant seem to get swr down bellow 2 with very little change from top to bottom of frequencey range. .

I know these can be a little bit harder to swr as I had 2 before
And much preferring the 4000 myself anyway.

The other issue is some one tightened the base of antenna onto the magnetic base so tight it won't budge in fact the so239 in base started to slip where it is fitted so not going to go any further trying to move it which is a pitty as I would like to have checked for water ingress .
Tempted to carefully cut out the rubber washer type fitting between both but didn't wish too just yet.

When adjusting the swr I did manage to get it equal both ends 1 cept to 40 UK as the bottom freq was reading higher.
But then checking centre it was fractionally lower about 1.9 and similar right through.

Previous owner said could not get swr bellow 2 obviously wasn't the bad crush on coax either as I suspected.
Any thoughts of advices much appreciated as if rather not let it get scrapped .
Should add have swr several other sirio and various antennas on the estate car roof perfectly ,nothing to reflect around it either.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Apologies but by decal do you mean the tin foil layer or the round metal block in centre. Whilst it has the metal block in centre of magnet it has no foil present.
Thank you.

Thank you just googled sirio decal which is the foil layer. No it hasn't and I will ad this tomorrow and retest .
Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Apologies but by decal do you mean the tin foil layer or the round metal block in centre. Whilst it has the metal block in centre of magnet it has no foil present.
Thank you.

Thank you just googled sirio decal which is the foil layer. No it hasn't and I will ad this tomorrow and retest .
Fingers crossed
Let us know if it helped

Reactions: Easy rider
Noted some mag base by sirio have more than 1 path via the screws to ground but most dont.
With no foil present on my mag I could see the captive brass nuts on base all have thread right through however only 1 on mine has a thread on the steel plate to ground to mag .
I had ordered several 4 x4mm grub screws with pointed end.
Idea is to sink the grubs in the captive nuts from open end where screws enter so as the point contacts metal plate in base.
Then either use copper tape or tinned copper braid to connect to braid on soldered terminal and then insulated the length between that and next screw to attach to another screw terminal to increase grounding from antenna to base.

Also looking at a brass bolt with 2nuts 4mms to replace a screw but have it protruding out enough so I can run a grounding earth strap direct from base to fixing on car.maybe a ferrite

Reason being I suffer a little rf back to radio with kl203 on modern radios which are I believe more susceptible and even cause much themselves.alinco dx 10 .causes high swr alarm and audio tx warble when present .not with immediate use but after half hour ish.
Horrendous with the A99 base antenna

Will feed back on mods and decal test once done

Last edited:
Better but no cigar.
Ok the grub screws arrived to add a extra grounding to mag base from antenna.grubs still didn't contact with base metal plate.couldn't part plastic cover from mag base so left it for now.

Ok sirio 5000 ,I added tin foil 2layers to mag base to add capacitance.
It did have a effect and allowed me to get a swr of 1.6 bottom 2 top of about 90 channels and 1.6 lowest in centre.
Interestingly I added a 12" patch lead between antennas and swr meter and saw swr drop to about 1 .5 bottom and 1.4 centre with 2 still at top of the 90 channels.

Interestingly also I noticed the whip ,where it was raised before now it's dropped to bottom inside .
So seems whip may be too long slightly but liveable.

I certainly wish to improve it some more and welcome further advice .I'm still thinking it's a grounding issue here .somehow needs improving.

Further to this .water had run down whip past rubber seal down whip holder and out of the drain hole straight down side of coil leaving a green stain .cleaned it off too so is like new.
Silicon greased whip into holder now to stop this some in future.

Still thinking it's grounding issue

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.