• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio performer 5000

Just showing factual results. nothing made up just simple truth.
1 swr is lower throughout a wider range of frequencies than my k40
2 noise level is better and lower. Alot cleaner
3 this antenna doesn't pick up spark plug noise like my k40 did.

I've only heard one negative comment on the sirio out of about 200 post and I read it today. Not bad odds

I've always read that you can have only 2 of 3 attributes .... size, efficiency or bandwidth. Since you've loaded the antenna to shrink it, and you've made it broadbanded then you've obviously foregone efficiency.

I just drive the car I don't work on em there's your answer. If I pull up on the lot and I see a pinto and BMW I'm smart enough to buy the BMW. No disrespect intended just an answer.

I just drive the car I don't work on em there's your answer. If I pull up on the lot and I see a pinto and BMW I'm smart enough to buy the BMW. No disrespect intended just an answer.

The pinto could be tubbed and caged with a 302 and the BMW could be ragged out, leaking oil etc. So that's really not an answer :D

I seen a guy on another forum post that he gained S2 on 100' coax run going from RG8x to LMR400. Now there is no where near that much loss between the two types of coax but he couldn't be told different because he saw what he saw. Didn't matter that it was a bad connector or common mode current or whatever caused it, he saw it and that's all there was too it.

When it comes to an antenna there is one optimal set of, well, variables, if you will. Unfortunately none of these variables exist in a vacuum, any change to one will change one or more others.

For example, any number of shortened 1/4 wavelength antennas. If you use the most common method of shortening antennas, namely a loading coil, you will find the bandwidth narrow some. Further, where the loading coil is on the antenna also affects how much the antenna is shortened and efficiency as well. The further up the antenna the coil, the more efficient it is and the less of a shortening effect it has. That being said the top of the antenna isn't always the best place to put such a coil, depending on your needs...

The properties of the coil also have effects. If it is a lossy (or inefficient) coil you will see more bandwidth than a less lossy coil will have on the same antenna. The antenna itself doesn't actually have a wider bandwidth, it just appears to to your radio.

All this in conjunction to a cap hat when it comes to shortening. A capacity hat will shorten the antenna and increase the bandwidth at the same time. Further, while any shortening method decreases efficiency, it tends to be more efficient than using a loading coil for similar amounts of shortening.

All this and I'm not even touching on the half of it.

In the end the question is how much of a compromise is acceptable to you, where that compromise needs to be, and how much is needed to meet your needs...

The DB

The pinto could be tubbed and caged with a 302 and the BMW could be ragged out, leaking oil etc. So that's really not an answer :D

I seen a guy on another forum post that he gained S2 on 100' coax run going from RG8x to LMR400. Now there is no where near that much loss between the two types of coax but he couldn't be told different because he saw what he saw. Didn't matter that it was a bad connector or common mode current or whatever caused it, he saw it and that's all there was too it.

so what are you saying? I shouldn't be happy that the sirio shows these very good results? Would it be better if it picked up ignition noise? I thought it was a good thing that it doesn't pick up ignition noise. Should I be happier with tons more DB of white noise? Maybe an swr of 3 would be better. without going into paragraphs of technical data. why is it that you can't just say hey that is a good antenna without trying to to convince someone that a good reading in one area must mean a bad loss in another area.

so what are you saying? I shouldn't be happy that the sirio shows these very good results? Would it be better if it picked up ignition noise? I thought it was a good thing that it doesn't pick up ignition noise. Should I be happier with tons more DB of white noise? Maybe an swr of 3 would be better. without going into paragraphs of technical data. why is it that you can't just say hey that is a good antenna without trying to to convince someone that a good reading in one area must mean a bad loss in another area.

Dude, if you're happy I'm happy. I have a habit of using the "new post" button and maybe not reading entire threads. But I kept hearing praises on the bandwidth and tuning of this antenna which is not a means of justifying performance imo. The ignition noise and RX noise is probably just from better grounding, again I didn't read it all, but if you went from a magnet mount to a hard mount that's probably what helped your receive issues.

I didn't create the rules that say optimizing one aspect diminishes another, but we all have to live by them.

I ran a Wilson 1000 & 5000 for the last 17 years. Both good antennas. But I got a Sirio. I tuned my Sirio 5000PL with the Sirio 145 PL mag mount to 1:7 on 26.950 to 1:8 on 28.740. on my 2008 Chrysler T&C mini van. Which I feel is very good. This is truly a super talking antenna. It is giving me 5 or more miles over the Wilsons on 11 meters. And just for the freebanders. My SWR is 1:1 on 27.555 as seeing on my MFJ-259. I love the fact that this one antenna can do both 10 & 11 meters. I don't think that I will ever run anything else. After being in CB since 1968 this is the very best mobile antenna for DX that I have ever seen. But each to his own. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 people
by the way it's good to hear from you again 359 it's been a while. have a good new year. hey let me be right just one time lol! :headbang

If something works, use it.

I'll certainly agree with that. If you take any of the top selling base loaded antennas mounted the same, and put them head to head there probably isn't a hill of beans difference. But for people wanting to cover 10-11m the broadbanded antenna is probably going to be the winner.

I ran a Wilson 1000 & 5000 for the last 17 years. Both good antennas. But I got a Sirio. I tuned my Sirio 5000PL with the Sirio 145 PL mag mount to 1:7 on 26.950 to 1:8 on 28.740. on my 2008 Chrysler T&C mini van. Which I feel is very good. This is truly a super talking antenna. It is giving me 5 or more miles over the Wilsons on 11 meters. And just for the freebanders. My SWR is 1:1 on 27.555 as seeing on my MFJ-259. I love the fact that this one antenna can do both 10 & 11 meters. I don't think that I will ever run anything else. After being in CB since 1968 this is the very best mobile antenna for DX that I have ever seen. But each to his own. Just my 2 cents.

I once got into an argument over the k40 being the best antenna ever! I was wrong dead wrong and I ate crow. it's a good antenna but its nothing compared to the sirio 5000. for whatever reason this antenna doesn't pick up ignition noise I can't explain that one because my k40 was very well grounded just as the 5000 is. I don't have to use the NB with this antenna. It wasn't bad with the k40 but just enough to need the NB. I don't need the NB now. I had to see it first hand just how good they are. but unless you put your hands on one of these things you can't appreciate them for what they are. IMO

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.