• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

sirio performer 5000

Sirio 5000

Another section from the cbradiomagazine.com article about the performance and efficiency of the sirio 5000.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12
Sirio 5000 article

DX with the Sirio 5000. It's a really good article for those who haven't seen it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 9
What is 1/8 of an S unit and how to you measure it?

1/8 of an s-unit is a difference of 0.75 dB. That is a smaller than the accuracy level of most S-meters, and small enough to be a completely irrelevant change in performance.

DX can't be used as a constant. Conditions obviously got better when the Sirio was installed.

This is absolutely true, and the picture linked agrees with this as well. DX is a poor judge of antenna performance as mother nature on a daily basis can affect DX at a rate far more than the difference between these two antenna. Also, if the Wilson was tested while DX was building, and then the Sirio was tested when you were closer tot he peak of the cycle naturally you would have more contacts...

I'm not saying that the Sirio isn't a better performing antenna than the Wilson, I agree that it is based on numerous tests by people on this very forum, and the fact that it has a longer whip. But we seem to have a Sirio fanboy now that is taking it upon himself to try and brainwash the rest of us and bring us into his camp. While the Sirio's are generally better performing antennas than the Wilsons, that doesn't make them the best performing antenna you can buy for every mobile installation... AL567, you should try running a full length 1/4 wavelength whip and compare that to your Sirio performance wise...

The DB

1/8 of an s-unit is a difference of 0.75 dB. That is a smaller than the accuracy level of most S-meters, and small enough to be a completely irrelevant change in performance.

This is absolutely true, and the picture linked agrees with this as well. DX is a poor judge of antenna performance as mother nature on a daily basis can affect DX at a rate far more than the difference between these two antenna. Also, if the Wilson was tested while DX was building, and then the Sirio was tested when you were closer tot he peak of the cycle naturally you would have more contacts...

I'm not saying that the Sirio isn't a better performing antenna than the Wilson, I agree that it is based on numerous tests by people on this very forum, and the fact that it has a longer whip. But we seem to have a Sirio fanboy now that is taking it upon himself to try and brainwash the rest of us and bring us into his camp. While the Sirio's are generally better performing antennas than the Wilsons, that doesn't make them the best performing antenna you can buy for every mobile installation... AL567, you should try running a full length 1/4 wavelength whip and compare that to your Sirio performance wise...

The DB

Just contributing to the post DB. Not a fanboy of the subject matter. Thought it would be beneficial to those who are thinking of buying one to see some of the reviews from cbradio magazine. Not here to argue the point with anyone or be critical of other people. yes I bought one and yes it out performs what I had personally. Can't say first hand that it is better than a Wilson just what other people say from their own experiences. The post was started on the Topic of the sirio being a good antenna and the short time that I've had mine it appears that it is everything the article and everyone else has been saying about it.

I'd use a 1/4 wavelength whip if I could but I'm limited to using a coil it being on my car and not my truck.

Why? Nothing to stop you using a 1/4 wave whip on the car, just choose one that bends a bit instead of being rigid like a firestick.

The screwdriver antenna on my car when fully extended is way longer than 1/4 wave on 11m as I'm already running it with a 6.5ft whip. I have no problem driving down the road at 70MPH into a strong headwind.

Why? Nothing to stop you using a 1/4 wave whip on the car, just choose one that bends a bit instead of being rigid like a firestick.

The screwdriver antenna on my car when fully extended is way longer than 1/4 wave on 11m as I'm already running it with a 6.5ft whip. I have no problem driving down the road at 70MPH into a strong headwind.

Already have the hole in the top of roof. If I ever mounted one I'd mount it somewhere else.

I experienced something weird today. I was driving on the belt loop around Charlotte,NC and I brought along with me my CRE-8900 to see how DX was doing on my trip to the Tennessee mountains. I have my radio set to where it displays swr while keyed. Well,it was showing a 2-2.8 swr. At first I thought it must be a pinched coax and then the way I have the radio grounded. Once I got on the newer section of belt loop that's paved with concrete,the swr went back to a normal 1.1. That section of belt loop runs in a excavated out strip of land where there used to be a five foot thick layer of bull tallow but was dug out and good dirt hauled in and mixed with lime. It's just weird.

P.S. I have a Sirio Performer PL5000 + 145 magmount. I know the antenna's sensitive to nearby objects and bridges but that was just weird.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.