• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio SY27-3 3 element yagi.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
Reading the new manual for this antenna.
http://www.sirioantenne.it/prodotti_all.php?category=HF+(3-30+MHz)+Base+Antenna&antenna=++SY-3&idc=1008171241&idg=1008171169&idp=63
Sirio claims they optimized the antenna to allow users to adjust for 10 meter coverage. With knowledge of how a yagi works I assume it could always have been done.

I have the Sirio 3 element horizontally polarized on my tower now. It is setup for 11 meter.
I no longer have interest in 11 meters. The antenna gets no use these days.
If I remove the antenna and cut the elements as the manual states then it should make my antenna resonant on 10 meters?
It looks simple. Remove the pvc cap off each element, cut each element to size, put pvc cap back on, and adjust gamma match for lowest swr at the desired frequency.

Now the problem. Trying to set up the antenna that way near ground level.
Understanding its not possible to do this work with the antenna still on the tower.
Most likely what ever I see on my antenna analyzer near the ground will change once its back on the tower.
I have a 5ft tripod and like 15ft of mast I can use. Even if I have to guy the mast and use a ladder to make adjustments. I put wood planks on the legs of the tripod to help level and avoid it from falling over.
If this is still going to cause ground loss interference I have heard that putting a yagi a few feet off the ground pointing up at the sky will mimic what you will see when put back on the tower.
Now do I rest the reflector on something wood or plastic that is long, tall, and stout enough to support the yagi pointing at the sky?
If so what could I use?
I imagine a conductive surface would ruin the whole process.
Can I use non conductive guy rope tied to the boom of the yagi to help support it while pointing up at the sky? I can't hold it up since my body is conductive and that will also ruin the whole process.

A yagi is a great thing but sometimes the setup can be a pain in the and make using a vertical much easier.
The Sirio 3 ele worked great on 11 meter so I can only assume it would be great on 10 meter as well.
SMILEX2692002

it will work on 10 meters, can you slide the elements inside the other, instead of cutting the tips just slide the outer element inside the bigger element until you get the length you need.

If you set the yagi on a pole, and adjust your gamma for best input impedance, the resonant frequency will most like rise 125kc once it is in the air, say you are adjusting the yagi for 28.400mhz, I would adjust the yagi for 28.275mhz while it is on a pole maybe 6 feet of the ground, then when it is raised up onto the tower it should raise resonant frequency to some where around 28.400mhz.

This was the instructions given in my MosleyPRO67B manual and it was pretty much spot on, when I got the yagi on the tower resonance did increase in freq around 125kc higher than what it was 6 feet off the ground.

Good luck

I agree with wave rider don't cut just push them in for adjustment. amy 4 element sirio will actually cover 10 meter pretty well i'm adjusted to the upper 11 meter channels. Good luck!

it will work on 10 meters, can you slide the elements inside the other, instead of cutting the tips just slide the outer element inside the bigger element until you get the length you need.

If you set the yagi on a pole, and adjust your gamma for best input impedance, the resonant frequency will most like rise 125kc once it is in the air, say you are adjusting the yagi for 28.400mhz, I would adjust the yagi for 28.275mhz while it is on a pole maybe 6 feet of the ground, then when it is raised up onto the tower it should raise resonant frequency to some where around 28.400mhz.

This was the instructions given in my MosleyPRO67B manual and it was pretty much spot on, when I got the yagi on the tower resonance did increase in freq around 125kc higher than what it was 6 feet off the ground.

Good luck

Thanks for the info.
If you look at the link to the manual I posted you will see the elements are held together by a plastic connector. The elements screw in on each side of the connector.
I may be able to remove the connector and use hose clamps to attach the elements back together and do as you say above.
If it won't work I will just go back to the cutting method. I can always cut small amounts and watch my analyzer for changes.

Reactions: Jay Webb
Sounds like a good game plan, if you can make your adjustments without cutting any of the element length that is great, you may decide to sell the yagi to another 11 meter op and it can be put back on 11.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
The elements are actually held together with two screws the plastic is just a cover, you can take them off completely if you like.Agree with above, push the elements in . you can hold them with tape to start with when you got it right drill new holes for the screws..Also agree the res freq will rise when you raise it to final height , mine went up about 200 kcs. If you sit the yagi on its rear facing up sit the reflector a foot or to above the ground not directly on the ground , like on a plastic milk crate or something.

Last edited:
Hey guys-I have a Sirio 3 element beam I want to use on 11 meters and was wondering how far I should slide the elements in to get it close?Should I go 1/4" at a time?Never put a beam together.Thanks

I got a 3 element sirio for cheap. I think someone might have cut the elements for 10 meter band so it's now probably useless on 11 meter band. The lowest I can get the swr to is a 1.3

I got a 3 element sirio for cheap. I think someone might have cut the elements for 10 meter band so it's now probably useless on 11 meter band. The lowest I can get the swr to is a 1.3
That's perfectly usable if it's in the 27 MHz range. If the elements were cut shorter for 10 meter I don't think you would be able to get a SWR under 3.1 on 27 MHZ.
My sirio 27-4 is very narrow banded.
Can't remember how my old Sirio 3 element was when sweeping it on my analyzer.

Reactions: ENC Pirate

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.