• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio Turbo 5000 mobile antenna

Sweet!
One question, will it screw on to the wilson mag mount? I'm thinking it will?

I'm using a Sirio 5000. I also have a Sirio 4000 (and that whip is longer than the 5000 by over 6 inches), but I've never actually put it on the roof of my vehicle. I just bought the "Texas" and hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week.

I want to do an A/B comparison between it and the Sirio 5000. I couldn't find a US distributor for the Texas "PL" version so I ended up buying a mag mount for a 3/8 antenna. The only other option I had was to buy a 3/8 - to - PL adapter and I didn't want to add something else into the antenna system.

You have me itching to try this antenna...I can’t wait to hear what you think!

A bit longer whip = a bit better performance. It isn't going to be as great a difference as going from say a Lil Wil to a Sirio 5000 but there will be a slight increase. Might get an extra S point on a CB meter from it at a push.

I suspect the reports about the big increases in performance and reductions in noise are more down to the fact that because of its length the owners have been forced to install an antenna properly for once in their lives and ditch the magmount.

I would say an S unit would be a huge difference, IMO. It’s been a long time since I have tried field testing various antennas, but I didn’t see a consistent measurable difference between a Wilson 5000, a 17” 10k, a 102 whip, and a few others, including homemade loaded antennas in the 5-7 foot range. The most I ever observed was a needle’s width.

I also wonder if this problem is unique to the new Wilson’s. It’s been a long time, but my last one held up spectacular. Hopefully not a dud this time around.
I would have to say yes this is a problem definitely more evident in the Wilson's made over the past few years. Since Barjan bought them out they are produced over seas.. quality slipped IMO....
I own a 1K and 5K coil from back in the mid-late 90's and never had a bit of trouble out of either. Been through a couple whips over the years but the coils have performed flawlessly. I have run them both perm mount and mag mount.

As for the Sirio P5k comparison.. I tried one night parked in my driveway with a dude about 30 miles away. He saw absolutely no difference between the Wilson 1k and 5k but we both saw about an S unit both ways going to the Sirio.. My experience your mileage may vary..

I have 2 Wilson 1k coils and one is still in service. No issues. The other one my step son had it on his pick up and he went mud boggin and well, that was the end of that coil.

Reactions: S&W357
Thinking about replacing my Wilson 1000 mag mount with the Sirio. Asking for opinions from those of you who have\had this antenna. Thanx!
My opinion... I have tried just about all of them since the 1970s. These 3 to me are the best. SS Whip, Predator 10KSingle 27In Shaft, Skipshooter 7ft. Anything shorter I'd go with a Skipshooter as long as I can. I have the 4,5,6,and 7ft lengths or a Predator with a shorter shaft of the same length. I have the 9, 17 and 27. All those have outdone the others of the same length, in many tests. If you want to get out there longer is longer, less is less. Good luck.

Attachments

• 0419191059_HDR.jpg
    0419191059_HDR.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0606191209_HDR.jpg
    0606191209_HDR.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 0606191219.jpg
    0606191219.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
If want a longer antenna, I do have a 102" as whip on the garage. I like to try different antennas. And the Sirio gets Good reviews.
Most of all antennas will get out if done right and tuned correctly you can even get out and listen on a coat hanger. All those years and all the research including here has brought me to my conclusion. Longer is longer less is less. Not only that the center load and baseload antennas as I have read for local talk or they give like a rain down effect from what I read as where a top load is more for distance along with the 102 inch whip and I was even reading where the top-load may do better than the Whip on certain circumstances. And the Predator 10-K single coil with the 27 inch shaft actually did better than my whip on my vehicle, the 7-foot skip shooter is third mind you was only by a hair when you get into the other ones that are shorter closed coil on my test there is a noticeable drop as much as two s units with some closed coil Center load and base load. For me when wanting shorter I use the Predator with short shafts first or I use a skipshooter in different lengths. With that being said any antenna that was two to three feet in length did a pretty crappy job compared to the three best I mentioned. I did what you did already and just putting out my experience on it. It is a good learning experience doing it on your own as well. If you don't have them already I know the Predators are a little expensive but the skipshooters are pretty cheap just buy the longest one you can without hitting anything or tilting and then compare it to your other antennas. I'd be curious of your results on your vehicle.
Here is a quote from a review then I found through research and I have a whole bunch more...
"Just for the heck of it me and some friends did a not so technical test a not long ago using a 7 ft Skip shooter, Wilson 1000, 102 steel whip and a monkey made antenna. The radio was a Connex 33HP, the antennas all had been pre set to get the lowest SWR and all were below 1.2, they were mounted on his heavily grounded tool box on the back of his 2004 ford truck and he was on top of a small mountain ( big hill ) at 630 feet above sea level at around 15 air miles away from the 4 of us. We were in my mobile with a 95T and a Wilson 5000 mag mount at around 260 feet above sea level.
On a clear night with no other traffic on the channel the Skip shooter ( ch 20 ) had a 2 S unit stronger signal over any of the other antennas as well as a much better sound quality, we all thought the Wilson would win but that was not the case! I dont know the reason for this unless it's because the antenna is top loaded but Pro tech is right. Cant beat em for the money!"

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated