1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Sirio turbo 5000

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by BammBamm, Mar 19, 2020.

1. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

I recieved my new antenna from DNJ radio yesterday and installed it in the rain with the 145 magnet mount. I am impressed so far! A lot less noise and the recieve is amazing! Where I normally had 5db+ of static I now had 1. I heard a guy who was at about 3db and made a contact with him only to find out he was about 25 miles away on I-80 in a truck. This was barefoot on my stock 980 as I haven't put my amp back in yet. Thanks again to all of you for the recommendation and to DNJ. To anyone thinking about it...Do it! You won't be disappointed.

2. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

They are nice antennas for sure! Slightly better than the Wilson 5000 in my testing. I recommend them to people all the time.

2NC995, Blackcat630 and G GOLLY WAlly like this.
  3. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I run one on the roof of my pick up. Like it better than the Wilson 1000 it replaced.
    I too recommend the Sirio Performer 5000 over the Wilson.

TheRATT and 2NC995 like this.
  4. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

5EEFFD60-044C-4F2F-A663-E099D8EC7F60.jpeg

Ordered 5000 above to go with below
    E72B2BB2-10EE-438C-8620-8411DFAEC893.jpeg

Eldorado828, RT431 and TheRATT like this.
  5. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

I did testing a few years back between a Wilson 1k, 5K and Sirio P5K. All back to back to a local about 30 miles away from my driveway. Both Wilsons were exactly the same and the Sirio was about 1 s unit higher both tx/rx. All tested on my truck's permanent roof mount. Sirio did seem to have a little quieter rx as compared to my Wilsons. I still have my Sirio but it's in the shed for now. I like the thiner whip and slightly shorter length of the Wilson for the top of my 4x4 pickup. Sirio is the best performing mobile antenna I have ever used next to a properly installed 1/4 wave whip.. nothing beats the ss 108in ball mounted (breedlove) to the fender of my old mobile setup.

6. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

I really like mine too. Great performer.

Slowmover and 2NC995 like this.
  7. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

The Sirio seem very similar in design to the President Texas...and that antenna will surely beat a Wilson. My results between Wilson and the Texas were comparable to Blackcat’s

Not that the Wilson is a bad antenna; I’d still choose it for certain applications.

In testing the Texas locally I could not see any difference between it and a full 1/4 wave...and I bet the results would be the same with the Sirio.

But...when I park for a DX session, the full 1/4 wave shines every time.

Mudfoot and Slowmover like this.
  8. BammBamm

BammBamm Instigators ...173 on the southside.

Help!! I replaced my coax with 18' of Wilson RG8X and now my SWR is 1.6:1 on 1 and 40 and 1.5:1 on 20. It was 1.1:1 across all 40 before changing coax. Also talking to a local friend of mine and as I approached about 3 miles away he could no longer hear me although he was giving me a solid 5db.. My new amp is on the way and should be here Thursday. I moved my KL503 to the house as I really have no place for it in my car and ordered a KL203 on newegg.com for $56.90 with free shipping.

9. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Calc problems. Velocity of lightspeed X Moon Phase Saturn overlap, etc, yada, yada.

Exact same test?
    ZERO other changes (different cigar lighter plug kinda stuff).
    Car door open?
    Different brand of gasoline?

undertaker likes this.
  10. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Check out coax carefully, especially connection points. Replace with different coax.

Slowmover likes this.
  11. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I had a Wilson 5K mag mount and the coil filled up with water. I bought the Sirio 5K and put it on the Wilson mag mount. I got the Sirio that can fold down, really convenient for parking garages.

RT431 and undertaker like this.
  12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

Yes, pretty slick folder.

13. TheRATT

TheRATT KJ7GKX

I've had my Sirio 5000 with a 980SSB and AT6666 and get RAVE reviews and I've been all over the Pacific Northwest mobile. It is quiet on receive and matches really nice to everything I've hooked up to it. I'd buy again, and if I were mounting a permanent rather than mag mount I'd totally get another one.

RT431 and Slowmover like this.
  14. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

Check that the braid of the coax is still soldered to the brass tab in the magmount. It helps to secure the coax in place with hot glue on the inside because one of the main faults with that magmount is that the braid can get pulled off the brass tab over time because there's nothing to stop the coax rotating or being pulled out.

No idea at all why you changed the coax unless you needed more length because the difference in losses isn't even worth bothering about.