• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Sirio turbo 5000

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I recieved my new antenna from DNJ radio yesterday and installed it in the rain with the 145 magnet mount. I am impressed so far! A lot less noise and the recieve is amazing! Where I normally had 5db+ of static I now had 1. I heard a guy who was at about 3db and made a contact with him only to find out he was about 25 miles away on I-80 in a truck. This was barefoot on my stock 980 as I haven't put my amp back in yet. Thanks again to all of you for the recommendation and to DNJ. To anyone thinking about it...Do it! You won't be disappointed.

I did testing a few years back between a Wilson 1k, 5K and Sirio P5K. All back to back to a local about 30 miles away from my driveway. Both Wilsons were exactly the same and the Sirio was about 1 s unit higher both tx/rx. All tested on my truck's permanent roof mount. Sirio did seem to have a little quieter rx as compared to my Wilsons. I still have my Sirio but it's in the shed for now. I like the thiner whip and slightly shorter length of the Wilson for the top of my 4x4 pickup. Sirio is the best performing mobile antenna I have ever used next to a properly installed 1/4 wave whip.. nothing beats the ss 108in ball mounted (breedlove) to the fender of my old mobile setup.

The Sirio seem very similar in design to the President Texas...and that antenna will surely beat a Wilson. My results between Wilson and the Texas were comparable to Blackcat’s

Not that the Wilson is a bad antenna; I’d still choose it for certain applications.

In testing the Texas locally I could not see any difference between it and a full 1/4 wave...and I bet the results would be the same with the Sirio.

But...when I park for a DX session, the full 1/4 wave shines every time.

Help!! I replaced my coax with 18' of Wilson RG8X and now my SWR is 1.6:1 on 1 and 40 and 1.5:1 on 20. It was 1.1:1 across all 40 before changing coax. Also talking to a local friend of mine and as I approached about 3 miles away he could no longer hear me although he was giving me a solid 5db.. My new amp is on the way and should be here Thursday. I moved my KL503 to the house as I really have no place for it in my car and ordered a KL203 on newegg.com for $56.90 with free shipping.

I recieved my new antenna from DNJ radio yesterday and installed it in the rain with the 145 magnet mount. I am impressed so far! A lot less noise and the recieve is amazing! Where I normally had 5db+ of static I now had 1. I heard a guy who was at about 3db and made a contact with him only to find out he was about 25 miles away on I-80 in a truck. This was barefoot on my stock 980 as I haven't put my amp back in yet. Thanks again to all of you for the recommendation and to DNJ. To anyone thinking about it...Do it! You won't be disappointed.
I've had my Sirio 5000 with a 980SSB and AT6666 and get RAVE reviews and I've been all over the Pacific Northwest mobile. It is quiet on receive and matches really nice to everything I've hooked up to it. I'd buy again, and if I were mounting a permanent rather than mag mount I'd totally get another one.

Reactions: RT431 and Slowmover
Help!! I replaced my coax with 18' of Wilson RG8X and now my SWR is 1.6:1 on 1 and 40 and 1.5:1 on 20. It was 1.1:1 across all 40 before changing coax. Also talking to a local friend of mine and as I approached about 3 miles away he could no longer hear me although he was giving me a solid 5db..

Check that the braid of the coax is still soldered to the brass tab in the magmount. It helps to secure the coax in place with hot glue on the inside because one of the main faults with that magmount is that the braid can get pulled off the brass tab over time because there's nothing to stop the coax rotating or being pulled out.

No idea at all why you changed the coax unless you needed more length because the difference in losses isn't even worth bothering about.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?