• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

im going to bet that neither antenna is tunning well due to lack of ground.
in the past i have found wilsons need more metal around them to work properly

id ditch the trunk mount altogether i never had any great reults with those .load is below the roofline no good. couple of questions

are ALL doors,hood, trunk lid shut? Of Course
2] is there a amp inline. if yes is it on or off? 2 pill Radio. Tested w/ amp on & off
3]r u using a external meter to check swr? Of Course
using a mfj 259b will be your best bet..what i use

No way am I going to gay up with car with a magnet on the roof which won't work anyway with the sunroof stealing 2-3 sq. feet of roof metal. Either the trunk lip mount will work sufficiently or there's going to be nothing in the car at all.

Mobile antennas aren't built to be 'SWR friendly' on just any car. They just don't work that way. Either you have enough sheet metal below it to get a proper SWR - or you don't.

Maybe on your next car then?

Mobile antennas aren't built to be 'SWR friendly' on just any car. They just don't work that way. Either you have enough sheet metal below it to get a proper SWR - or you don't.

Maybe on your next car then?

LOL! this IS my next car! Eh whatever, this is for the road trip only anyway.
my last car was monopolized by radio gear. This one will not be! Its sorta nice now going to the store and actually being able to use the car's trunk for a change!

I can tell Ya'll this, Last night Driving my Company Dodge 2012 Caravan on the Oklahoma Turnpike 18 miles west of Joplin Mo. this Pick-up pulling a small trailer with 400 Chickens, Yes that's right - -400 Chickens, Bunch of Cluckers there. The Pick-up blew a tire and hit the Jersey Wall ( Left Lane ) and bounced back into my lane, I hit the Backside of that pick up truck doing 77 mph. I totaled the left front side of that Caravan. Went to the Miami Oklahoma Hospital and The Sirio Antenna with the mp145 mag mount stayed right there in place. Now, how's that for a Mag mount Antenna. I blew both fricken Airbags. God was driving my Grocery Getter Van. If I would of hit that Pick-up head on, I don't think i would be here right now.

Reactions: 3 people
"If I would of hit that Pick-up head on, I don't think i would be here right now."
--- Yeah, but would that mag-mount have still been there??

A sun roof isn't going to 'steal' any "ground" from the antenna, it won't make any difference to the antenna at all if the antenna is mounted correctly. Meaning attached to metal of the roof. A couple of square feet missing from the middle of the roof isn't going to make any appreciable difference as long as the rest of that roof is electrically 'connected'.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
this sounds more like the issue. with these newer vehicles, you never know if the metal is bonded correctly or not. well, untill you try to set up an antenna that is.

Well to follow up on my Siro...I am still well impressed with TX and RX. Maybe the longer antenna may be the link that gives this antenna the advantage over the Wilson 1000 ...

Well to follow up on my Siro...I am still well impressed with TX and RX. Maybe the longer antenna may be the link that gives this antenna the advantage over the Wilson 1000 ...

That's the only reason it might do a tad better since they are base loads.

LOL! this IS my next car! Eh whatever, this is for the road trip only anyway.
my last car was monopolized by radio gear. This one will not be! Its sorta nice now going to the store and actually being able to use the car's trunk for a change!
Actually, I knew that. I was being sarcastic; sorry. But here's the deal. You are trying to make it work the way that you want and expect and not being serious about what the antenna needs to operate. Having said that, you may have to forget about having a radio in this car. That is, unless you are willing to compromise where you want the antenna mounted. It might be that even the roof isn't going to be enough when using a mag mount - either . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

that would have alot to do with it. also with it being dc grounded as well reducing some of the noise.

That's the only reason it might do a tad better since they are base loads.

not Quite. don't forget about the reactance problem the the wilson 5000 suffers from.

you can only take " base loads are all created equal" so far....

and from what i can see from my experence with my 5000 that was brand new, i beleive the the issues that are plagueing the wilson 1000/5000 series antennae are at the connection at the top of the coil as this is just a compression connection that needs very little corrosion weather it be from condensation or from water entry to start wreaking havoc on the antennas performance. i'm not saying that this is the issue here.....but something to think about.

Actually, I knew that. I was being sarcastic; sorry. But here's the deal. You are trying to make it work the way that you want and expect and not being serious about what the antenna needs to operate. Having said that, you may have to forget about having a radio in this car. That is, unless you are willing to compromise where you want the antenna mounted. It might be that even the roof isn't going to be enough when using a mag mount - either . . .

well if ya wanna do the trunk mounk mounted antenna then only something like a 55r4
10k ,ect type will only tune in. cause theres load is above the roofline.id also still ditch
the trunk lip and get a tri pad with 3 magnets. might get a better ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.