• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

70cst

Dec 4, 2009
Today I switched out my Wilson 1000 with a Siro 5000 (Mag roof mount) and there is no doubt the Siro flat out outperforms the Wilson. It was obvious that I could hear at a greater distance than I could hear with my Wilson. I am sold on Siro. .

Reactions: 3 people

Today I switched out my Wilson 1000 with a Siro 5000 (Mag roof mount) and there is no doubt the Siro flat out outperforms the Wilson. It was obvious that I could hear at a greater distance than I could hear with my Wilson. I am sold on Siro. .

nice to see you guys over the pond have finally realised what us Europeans have known for at least a decade, that the cheap Chinese built Sirio's, easily outperform and are cheaper than the made in the Usa pishy Wilsons that are seriously overpriced, just like k40's before them.

Won't be long before your ready to hand over the world's largest superpower status to the Chinese. oh by the way, Chinese cuisine is top quality shit too,you guys will love it;):D:D

nice to see you guys over the pond have finally realised what us Europeans have known for at least a decade, that the cheap Chinese built Sirio's, easily outperform and are cheaper than the made in the Usa pishy Wilsons that are seriously overpriced, just like k40's before them.

Won't be long before your ready to hand over the world's largest superpower status to the Chinese. oh by the way, Chinese cuisine is top quality shit too,you guys will love it;):D:D

Let me ask you a potentially stupid question if I may. Will the magnet mount from a Wilson 5k work with the Sirio 5k? In other words, can I screw the Sirio onto the Wilson mag base...sorta plug & play or would I need to buy a Sirio mag mount?

Sorry if this is a silly question but over on this side some of us aren't as familiar with Sirio as with Wilson/k40

Let me ask you a potentially stupid question if I may. Will the magnet mount from a Wilson 5k work with the Sirio 5k? In other words, can I screw the Sirio onto the Wilson mag base...sorta plug & play or would I need to buy a Sirio mag mount?

Sorry if this is a silly question but over on this side some of us aren't as familiar with Sirio as with Wilson/k40

Yes...

It is a perfect match.

Nope, the Wilson mag mount will not stand up to the weight of Sirio 5000 series. It will blow or be knocked over very easily.

It will screw onto the Wilson mag mount, but is to much of a beast to hold it at speed.

i would have to agree with both posts above, however the bottom seal leaves much to be desired when it is used with a wilson magmount. it is much better suited for use with the sirio magmount. hope this helps.

in my experences so far,it would seem that it would be a correct assumption...reguarding the later part of your post, perhaps we already have done that.....damn shame:sad:

as posters have mentioned, yes it will fit, but i'm not so sure the wilson will be as strong as the sirio mag 145pl at high speeds with 4000/5000 series whips.

on the plus side, the sirio high power/megawatt/performance series being pl type fittings will fit any so239 type mount.the mag 145 pl is plenty strong, easy to change/upgrade coax/service and works well, but like all magmount/antenna combinations can be a tad touchy of rf feedback/common mode problems depending on radio/linear used. there's no substitute for a properly grounded mount, but for the most part with sirio's we've had few problems.

the one thing to be wary off when dealing with sirio antennas is their power handling claims,grossly over exaggerated by most peoples terms, but typical of all italian companies when it comes to dealing in watts,i'd be wary off putting more than 300w in any of them, but as they are such good performers 300w is plenty, i've worked the states,canada, most of s.america, the carribean,s.africa and australia all from mobile and many on substantially less power than 300w

put it this way, a superstar 3900,president jackson,president grant or lincoln (take your pick) rm kl203 and a sirio antenna and you'll work plenty, you don't need fancy gear and no idea to work the world, basic gear often does it as well if not better than expensive gear that most folk don't have a clue how to use anyway.

regarding the later part of your post, perhaps we already have done that.....damn shame:sad:

might not be a bad thing handing world responsability over, didn't do the uk much harm the last time we handed it to you guys, and i'm sure the chinese will only have it temporarily too, its the way of our world, always has been, its never long after you reach the top some f@cker wants to come along and take it from you, the greeks, the romans, the brits, the french, the germans, the soviets and many others before them all found that out.

being a superpower only makes you a super large target.

maybe some day people will prefer quality to quantity and be willing to pay for it, but till that day comes i'm sure the far east will prosper at our expense,

f@ck those peking spare ribs don't half taste good though, are you ready for the transformation from Mc Donalds to Mc Chan's or Burger King to Beef Curry King or even my favourite Kentucky Fried Chicken to Beijing Deep Fried Wonton.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you guys think a wilson trunk lip mount would hold up better with the sirio on it versus the wilson mag mount?

Do you guys think a wilson trunk lip mount would hold up better with the sirio on it versus the wilson mag mount?

it probably would be more secure, but if its the type i'm thinking of you have to make sure those two grub screws break the paint and touch the metalwork properly, even then it can be touch and go with trunk/boot mounts as they don't always have a solid connection to the rest of the bodywork.

i would always prefer the drill through the bodywork type mount, both for performance and strength.

something like this:

sirio-nto239-mount.jpg

as posters have mentioned, yes it will fit, but i'm not so sure the wilson will be as strong as the sirio mag 145pl at high speeds with 4000/5000 series whips.

on the plus side, the sirio high power/megawatt/performance series being pl type fittings will fit any so239 type mount.the mag 145 pl is plenty strong, easy to change/upgrade coax/service and works well, but like all magmount/antenna combinations can be a tad touchy of rf feedback/common mode problems depending on radio/linear used. there's no substitute for a properly grounded mount, but for the most part with sirio's we've had few problems.

the one thing to be wary off when dealing with sirio antennas is their power handling claims,grossly over exaggerated by most peoples terms, but typical of all italian companies when it comes to dealing in watts,i'd be wary off putting more than 300w in any of them, but as they are such good performers 300w is plenty, i've worked the states,canada, most of s.america, the carribean,s.africa and australia all from mobile and many on substantially less power than 300w

put it this way, a superstar 3900,president jackson,president grant or lincoln (take your pick) rm kl203 and a sirio antenna and you'll work plenty, you don't need fancy gear and no idea to work the world, basic gear often does it as well if not better than expensive gear that most folk don't have a clue how to use anyway.

I couldn't agree with you more on being able to work the world with basic equipment. I do it all the time!

Now that having been said I would also not use dx to judge the quality of anything i use for said communication including the value of antenna being discussed.

it probably would be more secure, but if its the type i'm thinking of you have to make sure those two grub screws break the paint and touch the metalwork properly, even then it can be touch and go with trunk/boot mounts as they don't always have a solid connection to the rest of the bodywork.

i would always prefer the drill through the bodywork type mount, both for performance and strength.

something like this:

sirio-nto239-mount.jpg

Drilling is always the best way but in my case its now an option. Im going on a trip and was going to slap the wilson on, either magnet or trunk lip since i have both but this thread is making me think to grab a sirio instead. Saw them on h&y for around $60 so was thinking, what the hell!

im not sure about that. i use almost 500 with mine on a daily basis and haven't seen any issues with it as of yet. maybe the exception and not the rule.....i don't know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated