• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Skipper 300

your amp sounds like it is oscillating. You may have a bad parasitic suppressor or two or more.
When I got it the keying relay was laying in the bottom of amp the retainer wire was missing so I plugged it back in it looked crappy chatters on dsb it's what my tram has

You're not using a power mike on this radio are you?

It's fairly common for an amplifier to 'bleed' the circuits in a power mike, creating a feedback squeal on the air.

Even more basic, the quality of the connection inside the connectors on your coax and coax jumpers is a big deal. Unless the shield braid is soldered, this can cause a problem. Sometimes a barefoot radio will work okay with coax plugs that are grounded poorly inside. But putting an amplifier in line with them causes trouble.

Do you have a SWR meter in line with the antenna? Any time you have an amplifier in line, you need a RF wattmeter in line with the antenna.

High SWR on the antenna can cause headaches, too.

Thanks for the reply

When I got it the keying relay was laying in the bottom of amp the retainer wire was missing so I plugged it back in it looked crappy chatters on dsb it's what my tram has
You're not using a power mike on this radio are you?

It's fairly common for an amplifier to 'bleed' the circuits in a power mike, creating a feedback squeal on the air.

Even more basic, the quality of the connection inside the connectors on your coax and coax jumpers is a big deal. Unless the shield braid is soldered, this can cause a problem. Sometimes a barefoot radio will work okay with coax plugs that are grounded poorly inside. But putting an amplifier in line with them causes trouble.

Do you have a SWR meter in line with the antenna? Any time you have an amplifier in line, you need a RF wattmeter in line with the antenna.

High SWR on the antenna can cause headaches, too.

Thank you for info

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.