• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small SSB radio?

Brake Weight

Jan 31, 2012
Southern Miss
I'm looking for a small Uniden 510/520 sized radio with SSB I can dash mount in a car. The Magnum 257 fits the hole, but is too deep for my car.

Are there any others I've missed that may be shallower in depth?

if the radio did not have the heat sync would it fit? they have some that were made with a single final and did not have the heat sync and is about the same radio as the 257. eagle sidewinder 400 is one and the
comanche black hawk. the same radio just with out the heat sync and has 10 bands of channels..only a single final version. I have both radios and they work great. modded the same as the old 257 also for channels. this is the only ones right now that comes to mind.

find a pc122 or uniden 640e and the radshack ver of pc122...had one awhile back and sold it,sorry

i agree
realistic 485 had ssb and was small.. think i got that number right
might find some of these older ones on ebay
magnum makes a handheld with ssb .something to consider

I'm not really concerned with extra channels more so than the SSB. It really makes the time pass on those 7-8 hour drives.

just letting you know it was the same as the 257 if it would fit in the hole without the heat sink.these radios are great on SSB also. this way you know what to look for.

Midland 79-290 (SSB) would prolly fit the bill. Pretty shallow & front mount mic jack also. Not the best channel rejection but a decent lil radio IF you can find one. Xtra channels,weather channels,removable faceplate (like CD players) :cool:
Slim.CDX285

The Radio shack models mentioned have the ignorant side mount DIN plugs. The Midland is an abomination of a radio. The Uniden PC122 is a good radio, but is old and usually overpriced, but it does have a front mount mic.

If a 980 won't fit then there isn't anything that will. You might consider installing the 980 someplace else in the vehicle and using the wireless microphone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.