• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small SSB radio?

Hotrod is correct, Radio Shack also made a TRC-485, which is a small SSB mobile that resembles an early Magnum 257, minus the heatsink in the back.

If you want small, you can't go wrong with a Uniden PC-122, or a PC-122XL. Both are top notch radios for their size, and both have front mic jacks.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
The Uniden 980 is 7-1/4" Wide x 2-1/4 High, and about 7-1/4" Deep. I could be wrong on the depth by a 1/4" but either way you need to add about another 1" to the depth for cable connections. I do believe this is the smallest SSB radio currently produced in regards to depth. The Galaxy DX979 is next in line with the same width & height dimensions but is 9" deep-so you're no better off there either. Hope this helps-good luck

It measures about 2" high by 6.25" wide by 7" deep, I had one in my pickup for a little while.
Yes it has a lot of features, and it looked cool.
The one I had used 2 x 1969 transistors as finals, that surprised me, another thing i found interesting was there was no way to adjust the bias on the final or the driver.
I played with it a bit and you could tune it up to about 25 watts on SSB, but the the display would start dimming and you could tell the radio was starving for current, it started warbling real bad.....if I backed it back down to around 15 or 16 watts it cleared up and I got good audio reports.
The RX sucked, it suffered real bad from adjacent channel overload, in the end that is why I sold it.

Jeff

It measures about 2" high by 6.25" wide by 7" deep, I had one in my pickup for a little while.
Yes it has a lot of features, and it looked cool.
The one I had used 2 x 1969 transistors as finals, that surprised me, another thing i found interesting was there was no way to adjust the bias on the final or the driver.
I played with it a bit and you could tune it up to about 25 watts on SSB, but the the display would start dimming and you could tell the radio was starving for current, it started warbling real bad.....if I backed it back down to around 15 or 16 watts it cleared up and I got good audio reports.
The RX sucked, it suffered real bad from adjacent channel overload, in the end that is why I sold it.

Jeff
So what did you replace it with or what area of radio propagation did you replace it with?

This is a radio I never quite understood from a design standpoint. I remember seeing them a lot back in 2002 and 2003. Detachable faceplace...but the clips would always break I remember. I also recall two 1969 transistors but no where near enough current due to inadequate components and to small of traces on the board to supply proper bias or supply current to the output section. So you had a dual final radio that wouldn't do over 20 watts without major reconstruction. Then the fact that you could expand the freq coverage down to 25.165 if I remember up to almost 30mhz... and also unlock the clarifier. But then the receive issues previously mentioned. Actually the rx issues could be fixed it had to do with too much gain in the wrong stages and a circuit board flaw believe it or not with a couple traces too close together. Anyways... it was unique due to all of this..a great idea..small compact and if not for the issues it would have been a great little radio for its time.

So the dual finals were a marketing gimmick? I wonder what radios in the same class that it was competing with at that time?
P.S. what would be a solid performer that comes close to the Midland?

Last edited:
So what did you replace it with or what area of radio propagation did you replace it with?

At that time I went back to the President Lincoln, it spends the most time in the pickup with the 2950DX a close second.
That is what is in there right now.

Jeff

My single din hole is 7x7x2.5 inches. That's all the room there is for wiring and heat dissipation. After reading up on that Midland 79-290, I'm leaning that way due to it's size mainly.

Any thoughts about using a Trucker 5000 mounted from the gap between the hood and right fender? I may pull the headliner and see how the roof mounted stereo antenna is and put a puck or something there later on.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio