• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Small SSB radio?

It's going in a MK4 VW Jetta.

View attachment 9971

Here's the hole. I'll have to cut a hole into the side and stuff the stereo wiring into the dash before putting a CB in there. There's ductwork in the back. I may can get another inch of depth by cutting that piece off along the back with a guide hole for the factory double din.

5enydeny.jpg

i would mount it either in the cubby hole .which you said was actually a ash tray.
or id mount it to the right of the gearshifter, on the console.theres not a lot of room
above the am/fm radio. especially after you add the coax connector with pl259
on back of radio .plus wires and coax

I always thought of a Jetta as a "chick" car...but this project is pretty cool. Looks like you'll have a nice ride once its all together.

Most are chick cars. Contrary to popular belief VWs are decent cars. 1.8 liter turbo, 180hp @ the flywheel factory, and would get 29mpg @ a 75mph cruise. I reprogrammed it soon after I got it and it should've been right @ 225hp @ the flywheel. When I'm done it should be a mild 250-300whp (tune dependent). Many that are pushing these cars are well over 450whp and upwards to 5-600+. I want to keep it streetable and still get over 25mpg on the highway. They are few and far between in the South were I am, much less the same GLI package. Found another in my own county, I'm on the left. I've also got a 25mm drop that's going on also.

I plan on putting something like a Wilson Trucker 5000 with 10" mast or maybe a base load like a trunk mount, but on the hood, on the front passenger fender about where a stereo antenna would be on other cars. Down the road I'm going to get the headliner redone and I may try to put a puck or something where the factory stereo antenna is and do something else with that antenna. I barely picks up beyond 60 miles anyway.

On the car on the right, I see an intercooler, and are those twin turbos on either side?

I used to drive a Golf (yawn)... couldn't afford the GTI. I had my Cobra 132 XLR mounted on the passenger side of the console and ran a 4' Firestik on the hatch. Seemed to work pretty good.

RT307

They're single turboed. The one on the right has an aftermarket front mount IC. I stayed in the side mount factory location, but have one that has twice the core. Mine doesn't cool as well as the other, but the other has more pressure drop...i.e. more lag. 6 in one hand and a 1/2 dozen in the other.

Didn't find anything I wanted in Singapore. But I've been thinking about a roof mount antenna. I'm wanting to do a roof mount using the existing hole from the stereo antenna. It'll sit towards the back of the roof. I'd like it to be on an angle of maybe 45 degrees, or slightly more vertical...but not vertical.

Like this
aquseheh.jpg

Are there any vendors that make mounts like this that would tuck inside the headliner?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio