• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snow in the North East

Ready for this??

It's 52 (F), I think I may have heat stroke! If you can believe the 'gopher' guy on the weather programs it's supposed to get even hotter in the next couple of days. I may dig out my thong and get some 'rays', you know? No, forget it, I ain't taking pictures...
- 'Doc

It's snowing again. They're calling for 2-3" more of snow. CK,you have to realize that snow in the south is a rare occasion the infrastructure is set up for only using brine and salt in limited quantities and on state trucks with plows and salt shakers in the back. Usually the only vehicles seen out in this weather are 4X4's. Most everyone else have all season radials in their vehicles. Still,there are this out on the roads who are driving too fast for conditions. I had to drive 20 miles into the next good sized city just to get fuel and other goodies. It took me a few minutes just to get out of my driveway(ice glazed snow). Also,my pastor asked for a boots on the ground weather report because he's driving out of the mountains(think colder,snow)to come and get some things done. But I'm up to a challenge. I have all season radials on my 4X2 SUV but I've drove a concrete truck for 27 years. Have you ever went mud bogging in a fully loaded(73,000 lbs)concrete truck lately? :D

Oh I realize exactly what it is like there. Same thing on the west coast of British Columbia where they have all rain and no snow. I still find it funny that a few inches can and will shut down everything. Up here most people just run all season tires on their vehicles and 5 inches is just a messy inconvenience that you have to clear off the car and it means you have to (or should) leave a few minutes earlier and drive a tad bit slower to wherever it is you are going. It's the common sense factor that gets me. People know snow and ice are slippery yet they think that they can drive just as fast and corner just as hard on it as on dry pavement. Also the folks that floor the gas of a vehicle that is already spinning just boggles my mind. These are not "used to driving on snow" things. These are common sense things. As for snow in the south being rare, better get used to it. Things are changing and it's going to happen more and more. What we considered normal weather patterns have been changing for the last couple decades that I can remember. We used to have tons of snow that would bury the tops of fence posts. now you still see grass sticking up in the fields all winter long.The river behind the house used to freeze over all winter long starting in December. Now it freezes and thaws out several times each winter. 25 years ago it had 22 inches of ice in it. Now it only gets about 4 inches before it thaws, breaks up, washes downstream and starts all over again.When I built here 23 years ago I would have NEVER considered a heat pump however I installed one last year and completely got rid of my oil furnace and my wood furnace. Temperatures here are MUCH warmer on average in the winter and noticeably hotter in summer hence the heat pump unit which offers cooling as well.

Our Southern brothers and sisters are, well.... You know...

I was stationed in San Antonio during the Winter once. We had a couple inches fall quickly one day. You'd thought there was 30 inches. I had a little 72 Datsun 510 wagon, I was just zipping by all the poor souls.

Reactions: 1 person
We've had over 50 inches of the crap over the past two months. People up here drive the same cars as they do in the south and get around in it just fine. The secret is to SLOW DOWN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had over 50 inches of the crap over the past two months. People up here drive the same cars as they do in the south and get around in it just fine. The secret is to SLOW DOWN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone says life in the south is a bit slower but I guess they weren't talking about driving. :D

Everyone says life in the south is a bit slower but I guess they weren't talking about driving. :D

The older ones are slower talkers while the SC youth talk in a fast SC slur. When I got some new inlaws from WVA years ago,I had to speed up my hearing to to keep up.

P.S. I'm originally from NC,my mom is a Cajun from southwest Louisanna and my father from NC with Dutch/Irish something in his blood.

Spaceman, I beat the ice off my Sirio Performer PL5000 as the ice made my swr go up to 3.5. I just didn't even try to talk on my A99 base knowing that it looked like a clear coated Popsicle.

P.S. I hit a low wire over a roadway today with my PL5000. That made my antenna tilt backwards at a 70 degree angle but I readjusted it. Thanks to Sirio for for making the tilt section smooth without knurling.

Last edited:
Another small storm for today, Saturday. I will olny have to go to the store today for 3 items......No not milk bread and eggs. I stay away from that Isle before the snow falls, and most people flock and clear the shelf for these Items.
BEER and Steak!!!!! No problem keeping them cold if I loose power and the steak can be cooked on the grill! Be prepared. Third Item veggies to grill with the steak.

Reactions: 2 people
I grew up in So.Cal. and lived their all my life till a few years a go and now I drive a N.Y. State plow with a wing and no wing man. I can understand all the confusion of getting snow. In So.Cal. just getting rain was deadly on the road!

You guys do great work, thank you.

Another small storm for today, Saturday. I will olny have to go to the store today for 3 items......No not milk bread and eggs. I stay away from that Isle before the snow falls, and most people flock and clear the shelf for these Items.

And the water aisle also.

BEER and Steak!!!!! No problem keeping them cold if I loose power and the steak can be cooked on the grill! Be prepared. Third Item veggies to grill with the steak.

I try and stay away from the whole store the day before a storm is forecast to hit. It amazes me that people can't survive a whole day or two without having to stock up on what seems an endless supply of stuff. At the MOST the stores may possibly close part way through the day of a really big and nasty storm but that is it. I can't imagine not having enough on hand to last a day or two.

Now excuse me while I go and stock up on pop, chips and other snacks. We have a snowstorm coming tonight. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio