• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Snow in the North East

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Looks like I will be home from work due to snow, Make some coffee fire up the radio listen to the scanner a little. Eat to much junk and watch a little TV. It's 3:eek:o am and a few mobils on the road at 15 mph...They are plow trucks, no wonder there out.

Where are you in the northeast? This is going to be mainly a rain event for me. Two to four inches of snow snd then heavy rain and possible thunderstorms are forecast here in Nova Scotia. The further west you go the more snow is forecast.

We are expecting here in upstate NY 2 feet and this will be the second 2 footer in only a week apart. This is how I am dealing with the snow this winter. I have already piled it up in all the places I could put it though. This is my first winter in my new home and my driveway is so steep that nobody would or could plow it so this was one of the smartest things I have done in a while lol. Last year I never even shoveled once up here.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Temperatures here this winter have been up and down like a Yo-Yo. Anywhere from -2 to +50 and then back to zero again sometimes only a day or two apart. Tonight it is -3 or so. Tomorrow night it will be almost 50 with heavy rain and then Saturday is calling for overnight lows of the teens again. This is the worst year we have ever had for so many wild temperature swings.

This winter the Jet Stream has been sitting right overhead. A slight shift westward and we get milder temps and rain. A slight shift to the east and the cold arctic air rolls in. Today/tonight the atlantic coazt of Nova Scotia is looming at 2-3 inches of rain. Tbe western part about 2-4 inches of snow tben an inch or more of rain. The Funday shore of New Brunswick,which is only about 50 miles away gets freezing rain while a bit further inland is looking at 12-14 inches of snow. From all rain to a foot of snow is not that far when you look at it. Right now I will take the rain.

I went to the grocery store yesterday but everything's closed. Still waiting for the state motor graders to scrap the roads. I got 5" of snow and a nice glazing of ice on top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 3
Todays forecast for New Jersey:

Today- Snow and sleet before 1pm, then snow and freezing rain between 1pm and 5pm, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet after 5pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 32. Northeast wind 15 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total daytime snow and sleet accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Tonight- Snow, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all snow after midnight. Low around 29. Blustery, with a north wind 16 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New snow and sleet accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

I went to the grocery store yesterday but everything's closed. Still waiting for the state motor graders to scrap the roads. I got 5" of snow and a nice glazing of ice on top.

:laugh: 5 inches and things are closed? 5 inches is just about the point where we consider using the shovel rather than the broom to clear the deck off. It's also about the point where we decide if it's worthwhile to start the snowblower or just drive over it and pack it down in the driveway. Usually the latter.:D

Reactions: 1 person
It's snowing again. They're calling for 2-3" more of snow. CK,you have to realize that snow in the south is a rare occasion the infrastructure is set up for only using brine and salt in limited quantities and on state trucks with plows and salt shakers in the back. Usually the only vehicles seen out in this weather are 4X4's. Most everyone else have all season radials in their vehicles. Still,there are this out on the roads who are driving too fast for conditions. I had to drive 20 miles into the next good sized city just to get fuel and other goodies. It took me a few minutes just to get out of my driveway(ice glazed snow). Also,my pastor asked for a boots on the ground weather report because he's driving out of the mountains(think colder,snow)to come and get some things done. But I'm up to a challenge. I have all season radials on my 4X2 SUV but I've drove a concrete truck for 27 years. Have you ever went mud bogging in a fully loaded(73,000 lbs)concrete truck lately? :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio