• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So I think i got a Modded galaxy dx86v

PastorOfMuppets

Jan 27, 2023
I picked up a Galaxy DX86v, to dip my toes into 10m. this one was supposedly "tuned", but i think it has been modded

Channel 40 in the band switches are as follows:

C=26.953
D=27.403
E=27.853

my radio knowledge is woefully limited to Chinesium SDR's, and i am at a loss as far as how to get this back over to the 28.4 i need it to be

any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_20230127_065733523_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230127_065733523_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230127_065746196_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230127_065746196_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230127_071438463_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230127_071438463_HDR.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I can get pics of the internals, if it helps.
Welcome! I have some information in another thread about this, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Found it. The conversion process is on page 2. Looks like yours has already been converted to 11m. Simple solder job to pick other banks of channels.

Last edited:
Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I reverse-engineered the modifications in the video, unplugging the 3rd Molex pulg, and resoldering the blob, but it still didn't get me back into 10m. but i'm gonna dig deeper into that thread.

The Galaxy 86 radio is really not a ham radio at all. It falls into the "Export Radio" category. These radio's are sold as 10m ham radio's (wink wink) but 90 plus % of them are sold to truck drivers and cb radio operators. They are easy to convert to 11m and then you have a cb radio that does more power and has echo, talkback, and extra channels built in. Some even have FM. The mere fact that you posted about a Galaxy radio in the Amateur Radio section of the forum i'm sure rubs some ham operators the wrong way.

That said the 86v is a decent radio but not great. It's a newer Export from Galaxy but they got cheap with it, does not have FM. A local guy had one but gave him nothing but trouble so he dumped it. Take care.

Reactions: Eldorado828
The Galaxy 86 radio is really not a ham radio at all. It falls into the "Export Radio" category. These radio's are sold as 10m ham radio's (wink wink) but 90 plus % of them are sold to truck drivers and cb radio operators. They are easy to convert to 11m and then you have a cb radio that does more power and has echo, talkback, and extra channels built in. Some even have FM. The mere fact that you posted about a Galaxy radio in the Amateur Radio section of the forum i'm sure rubs some ham operators the wrong way.

That said the 86v is a decent radio but not great. It's a newer Export from Galaxy but they got cheap with it, does not have FM. A local guy had one but gave him nothing but trouble so he dumped it. Take care.
I'm a Tech licensed HAM, and the reason I picked this up was to be able to work the tiny portion of HF that I'm allowed to use. But thank you for the info. It'll be going on eBay soon.

So I thought more on this and started doing some web searching. Not very much in the 10m radio market out there. I was surprised. Heck maybe something from Anytone or President might be ok. They kept popping up in searches. Got my Tech book out right now, planning on trying to do the Tech and General this year if I get serious about it. Good luck on your radio search.

Reactions: 2AF409

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated