• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So you want to learn more about radio repair

Just got an email from Lou Franklin a couple of days ago. He said that his book 'Understanding and Repairing CB Radios' is getting updated and will be released in the next two months - for sure.

Understanding and Repairing CB Radios: For the Professional Technician: Lou Franklin: 9780943132242: Amazon.com: Books

So, the price won't be $169 and there will be plenty of copies available.
He was shocked when I said that the current prices for the book are off the hook and unobtanium. If you want to get on the waiting list and be notified when it is re-released, just send him a note to put you on the list.

An excellent book for understanding and repairing. I have 'The Screwdrivers Expert Guide to CB Radio Repair'. Although dated, it has been most helpful. The new book will cover newer radios . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
No book, regardless of how good it is or who it was written by, is any substitute for shear experience and skill. I would rather pay to have Richard at 8541 work on it especially to do an alignment with the proper gear then follow a book even if the book was free. It is however a decent way to start learning. Note I said START learning. Just saying.

I use an old Heathkit frequency counter. Unsure of the model, as it's out in the garage (used it out there today) but will post model number when I put it back on the bench tomorrow. It uses the old nixie tubes for the digits. When I checked it against my rubidium oscillator, it was 3hz low. It was last calibrated about 6 months ago. I figure that's not too bad for an old counter. They can be found on Ebay, I have seen them there. Put a good probe on it, and get it calibrated, and they are actually pretty accurate!

~Cheers~

Lol yeah... some people think it's crazy that I use something like a rubidium oscillator to monitor and calibrate an old Heathkit counter like that.

For the record, the model is an IB-1103. It measures up to 180 Mhz. This counter has a TCXO (temperature controlled crystal oscillator) in it, so once it's warmed up (about 20 minutes) it's remarkably stable. Picked it up at a flea market for 10 bucks with the manual. Had a friend of mine have a look at it, (he's extra class ham) and he was amazed at how accurate it was. All the nixie tubes are functional, everything works as it should. If anyone would want to start getting into repair, I'd highly recommend getting one of these counters.

Robb,

I got the rubidium oscillator from a friend of mine that was experimenting with them a while ago. He told me that they were very accurate and would work great for calibrating radios and counters. So I got one from him, and custom built a power supply for it. Yeah, it's overkill for what I use it for (CB band stuff) but it was cheap and it works good.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated