• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Software Defined Radio SDR for 11 Meter

Just wanted to add a point that may be controversial but if you are digging into SDR for the first time go Linux. Windows just sucks for damn near everything but gaming and the software (free software) that Linux offers for the HAM and SDR user are unmatched. I can't think of anything I could do via SDR under Windows that I couldn't do much better on Linux. If you want to learn something learn to run your SDR on Linux and skip the shit OS and old and buggy software and drivers.
Man I really appreciate your advise and I'm sure it's great advise. My PC is Windows, and that already gets me all flustered and screwed. I may start with what I've got and move ahead as it goes.

Or I'll end up
Resized_fab4d3e4-4d18-4f59-b52c-f1804fbadbab_131377023039725.gif

Reactions: MadNachos
Just wanted to add a point that may be controversial but if you are digging into SDR for the first time go Linux. Windows just sucks for damn near everything but gaming and the software (free software) that Linux offers for the HAM and SDR user are unmatched. I can't think of anything I could do via SDR under Windows that I couldn't do much better on Linux. If you want to learn something learn to run your SDR on Linux and skip the shit OS and old and buggy software and drivers.
I can't say I agree with that personally. I have run both, and I have settled on Windows for SDR use. I have had absolutely no issues at all, and I am running heaps of different SDR applications and decoding software. It has been faultless. I have been running this way for many years now.

Installing software on Linux can be a absolute PITA if you are not familiar with Linux. Windows makes that part easy.

But, YMMV, and it is very much personal preference. (If you are not very confident with Windows or Linux, then the "live" Linux options MadNachos suggested are a good choice - you can't really break anything with those!)

I can't say I agree with that personally. I have run both, and I have settled on Windows for SDR use. I have had absolutely no issues at all, and I am running heaps of different SDR applications and decoding software. It has been faultless. I have been running this way for many years now.
But, YMMV, and it is very much personal preference.

Fair enough but I just can't think of anything SDR related that can't be done better in Linux for free and you can build your own versions of software with your own modifications if you want/need to. I just think Windows should be used the least possible and especially if you need to run old versions to use particular drivers.

But if it works it works.

About 20 years ago I tapped the discriminator on a scanner (Pro-95? 97?) to decode pager transmissions in the SoCal area. I had a pretty nice antenna farm in Hunt Beach and I could grab everything from Ventura to San Diego. Fed it into a Win machine for decoding. That was interesting. And Win only at the time.

Reactions: Pez
Fair enough but I just can't think of anything SDR related that can't be done better in Linux for free and you can build your own versions of software with your own modifications if you want/need to. I just think Windows should be used the least possible and especially if you need to run old versions to use particular drivers.

But if it works it works.

About 20 years ago I tapped the discriminator on a scanner (Pro-95? 97?) to decode pager transmissions in the SoCal area. I had a pretty nice antenna farm in Hunt Beach and I could grab everything from Ventura to San Diego. Fed it into a Win machine for decoding. That was interesting. And Win only at the time.
I would say that I'm a 'power user'. You would struggle to run all of the things in the list below on Linux, that all run perfectly well on my Windows PC's. (Unless you use emulation like WINE on Linux, but that would require a huge amount of configuration)... But again, I do see the value in Linux and I do use it for some things (on a few Raspberry Pi's, etc.) I just couldn't daily-drive Linux, because around half the things I need in radio, don't natively exist in Linux....

Attachments

• LIST.png
    LIST.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 5
I would say that I'm a 'power user'. You would struggle to run all of the things in the list below on Linux, that all run perfectly well on my Windows PC's. (Unless you use emulation like WINE on Linux, but that would require a huge amount of configuration)... But again, I do see the value in Linux and I do use it for some things (on a few Raspberry Pi's, etc.) I just couldn't daily-drive Linux, because around half the things I need in radio, don't natively exist in Linux....

Fair enough! The right tool for the job is the right tool that you know. And WINE is seldom the best option. Frankly I just fire up a VM using Vagrant and my Ansible scripts if I need to run a Win program...quicker and better than WINE.

Reactions: Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.