• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar minimum got you down?

You gotta learn to talk dump truckize...you know brag about backing into the ditch and having to get hauled out, complain about the wait to get loaded, complain about having to get out and cover the load even when you are only going 6 miles, and definitely have to bad mouth about DOT. Learn that and you can talk for weeks.;)
A70642CC-EE12-4B79-9E61-34FBFBC02F55.gif

As a dump truck for the last 18 years of my life, I resent that but at the same time...
ECDDF669-7317-42BA-B699-00A632F581F9.jpeg

Reactions: Redbeard U812
I have had problems from 38am. More from south of the border. I notice that they run on 7am(sometimes wiping out folks on 6am). 38 lsb is my favorite. 17(channel for HWY1 north of Ragged Point to the drop(where they have been repairing HWY1 from the slides), 19 , and even 21 are busy at times with business and local traffic from Paso Robles to Santa Maria, CA. 28 am is the local chat channel for alot of miles. In California if you were north of HWY46 you would be on 17 to the northern border and south of 46 you would be on 19 all the way to the southern border. Seems like 17 is statewide now. 19 in the metropolitan areas of southern ca is plain nasty.

Reactions: Redbeard U812
There is no place for noise toys, period.

jmo....
Or echo, I do not get what I hear on the air, what is with the big echo, seems people like the over modulation down southern usa. Your loud , but I can not understand a word your saying. Nothing sounds better to me than a stock radio, Not a fan of any of it, don't like the roger beep either. Ans stop talking so fast and shorten your handle , laughs how am I supposed to call back an 18 character numeric call sign, Keep er simple eh.

Reactions: Bow
Laughs, just one old guys opinion(mine) means nothing, Room for everything in cb radio, that's the joy, something for everybody.

My involvement with the hobby has ebbed and flowed for many years. Mainly due to work, marriage, kids, etc. I guess you could say that I was a member of the early 90's revival when I was a young man and had a blast (junior high-early high school). I was living on the west coast (Anchorage, AK) and enjoyed talking SSB to folks in CA, Canada, and Aussies but there was also a nice local scene as well.

Now I am on the east coast, for most of my adult life, and have done some local talking - but not a lot. There are still people in upstate NY on the radio and still a good bit of truckers on the air around here on 19 - but it certainly has changed. However it seems to me to a certain regard that I am seeing some new folks come into the hobby a little recently. Also some, like myself, that are getting back on the air. This seems to be encouraging to me.

Recently I posted a message on craigslist looking to set up an informal upstate NY ssb net and I have received some responses, and met a few cool people either getting back into it or still playing with 11m all these years. I encourage you all to take a stab at this maybe you will discover some locals to talk with or help out.

Skip has also been fun lately and hopefully we may see a bit more openings in the next few days. It also has enticed me into picking up a few new used old rigs on ebay to play around with and maybe try some old-school Ch. 16 (SSB) work that a few of us were discussing on another thread last week. Who knows. :)

'Just my two thoughts adding to the discussion. Sorry for the ramble.

Don't get echo at all, a little very sure,
My involvement with the hobby has ebbed and flowed for many years. Mainly due to work, marriage, kids, etc. I guess you could say that I was a member of the early 90's revival when I was a young man and had a blast (junior high-early high school). I was living on the west coast (Anchorage, AK) and enjoyed talking SSB to folks in CA, Canada, and Aussies but there was also a nice local scene as well.

Now I am on the east coast, for most of my adult life, and have done some local talking - but not a lot. There are still people in upstate NY on the radio and still a good bit of truckers on the air around here on 19 - but it certainly has changed. However it seems to me to a certain regard that I am seeing some new folks come into the hobby a little recently. Also some, like myself, that are getting back on the air. This seems to be encouraging to me.

Recently I posted a message on craigslist looking to set up an informal upstate NY ssb net and I have received some responses, and met a few cool people either getting back into it or still playing with 11m all these years. I encourage you all to take a stab at this maybe you will discover some locals to talk with or help out.

Skip has also been fun lately and hopefully we may see a bit more openings in the next few days. It also has enticed me into picking up a few new used old rigs on ebay to play around with and maybe try some old-school Ch. 16 (SSB) work that a few of us were discussing on another thread last week. Who knows. :)

'Just my two thoughts adding to the discussion. Sorry for the ramble.

Yes I am just back into this, my cb days were in the 1970's part of the first big wave, then I retired, and needed more stuff to do, happened by accident , bit of a prepper, was thinking comm, and then on kijiji saw a cobra 29 for 30 bucks, well in the 1970 that was a young lads dream cb , I could not afford anything more than some Realistic gear, so it was hell yes, I am buying that just cause I want it. So 4 radio later and wanting more , here I am, am I enjoying this, you have no idea. Best retirement idea ever. I have nothing but fond memories of cb radio, I know everyone says get into ham, you know what there is something about cb radio, even it's limitations are part of the fun. I don't want a phone, or a relay tower. I LIKE CB. I like trying to get out in crap rain when sending is hard. I like putting on the headphones to hear a guy 30 miles out on a crap antenna, It's cheap, its simple, its fun. I like fun.

Don't get echo at all, a little very sure,

Yes I am just back into this, my cb days were in the 1970's part of the first big wave, then I retired, and needed more stuff to do, happened by accident , bit of a prepper, was thinking comm, and then on kijiji saw a cobra 29 for 30 bucks, well in the 1970 that was a young lads dream cb , I could not afford anything more than some Realistic gear, so it was hell yes, I am buying that just cause I want it. So 4 radio later and wanting more , here I am, am I enjoying this, you have no idea. Best retirement idea ever. I have nothing but fond memories of cb radio, I know everyone says get into ham, you know what there is something about cb radio, even it's limitations are part of the fun. I don't want a phone, or a relay tower. I LIKE CB. I like trying to get out in crap rain when sending is hard. I like putting on the headphones to hear a guy 30 miles out on a crap antenna, It's cheap, its simple, its fun. I like fun.

I drive a large car(semi with a lowbed/D6MXLfire dozer on it). Back in the 90's a large car/rooster cruiser had a big sounding radio with a little echo. This has been trampled by young folks with some cash. They have no control and they are the Snap Chat generation and nothing from them comes in moderation. They want a trophy and every time they turn around someone hands them one. We may have to give them an education in etiquette(Moreover they don't have parents that care). I guess I could say how nice the transport they were driving was concurrent with the radio. Know that sounds weird but that is how it was.

Years ago, my first radio was a 23 channel Realistic Navaho base with a Turner +3 base mic. When the 40 channels came out, I upgraded to a Realistic TRC 448 mobile (SSB) as my base with the same Turner +3 base mic. In 1981, I bought a brand new Realistic Navaho TRC 490 base and hooked up a Turner Super Side Kick. It is still my go-to CB.

No noise toys ever. They are just gimmicks for folks who need attention. Make a statement by running a clean station.

Im pretty stoked. Just had a conversation with 525 out of Nova Scotia . One of my best ever contacts on 38lsb. Not a bad trip barefoot from NE. PA. Gives me some encouragement for the upcoming WDX spring contest.

It certainly was a fun couple of weeks that is for sure. Indiana, Iowa, Green Bay, lots of Ohio and KY contacts made radio a blast. All barefoot contacts with a President Mckinley from an almost subterranean mounted A99 - give me more Sun, give me MORE. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated