• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar minimum got you down?

Big Kahuna

Jul 31, 2008
We've had a couple of downturns in the CB hobby in the last 20 years but the lackluster cycles and new technology for the new generation really seems to be putting the nail in the coffin.

The two main clubs in my state shut down and the last CB break was 9 years ago I think.

I live in a county of 200,000 people and there isn't a single other CB hobbyist in the entire county, at least no one that I've heard in the last 5 years.

In the area 50 miles north of me there are 2.75 million people and only 6-7 regulars who hang out on 38LSB, but it seems like someone in that group is always fighting or playing music on the radio. 80 miles south of me there are 3.75 million people and maybe 20-30 regulars of which I hear 7-8 when I drive through there.

I know the hobby isn't dead, but without DX, radio is certainly dead in my area.

I've also noticed that there are hardly any CB's on craigslist or at garage sales like there used to be. All the older stuff has already changed hands or hit the dump I think. In the early 2000's I was making off like a bandit with piles of stuff every weekend, but I haven't seen anything of interest on craigslist in a couple of years.

Just wondering if anyone else is starting to see these trends.

Same here Big Kahuna. South Texas used to have radio shops, now resort to San Antone, Houst, or Dallas area to find anything on CL. Recently drove 400 miles round trip to San Antone, through a ghetto, and just on the west side of river from The Alamo to pick up a sweet unmolested bone stock 148GTL for $120 w/ a coffin mic. Only CB traffic here usually happens during the day coming from Point Comfort, TX. Drivers load and unload at Formosa.

LSB 38 has been dead, occasionally some chatter...distant though. Bout month and a half back AM was working skip. Only consistent traffic I get seems to be the coordinated directions by coyotes. Not the four legged K-9 hair lipped variety......smugglers giving directions to avoid CBP around Falfurrias check station, or along boarder.

Lerado CL has a guy selling 10m and some 11m radios for prime junk, probably stolen. He's right at the boarder, off beaten path, so to say. Doubt he has a firm grip on the English language due to one add describing a SR-497 for a S-9. Brief descriptions. Think CBP ought to be looking into him closely, pretty sure he caters to human smugglers.

We have a small group of locals (less than 10) that talk on ch20 in the evenings. We even picked up two new guys in the passed year but then one of our old timers just passed away. God rest his soul, he will be missed. Every once in a while I will hear a couple of truckers on 19 chatting as they go up and down the interstate. Is it possible that the summer season will bring skip or do we really have to have some kind of solar activity?

Reactions: S&W357
Mostly dead in the Mojave. 4-5 people on air on Fri and Sat. night.
Funny we still have a lot of truck and gravel trucks on the air.

Reactions: S&W357
Actually, I'm kinda enjoying the lull in solar activity. It allows me to be able to chat & bs with the locals, even the slightly distant ones. I have been able to chat with Hawai'i while running down the road. Even as brief as it was. It has VERY enjoyable to hear a couple of people out in the middle of nowhere having a little chat, instead of listening to the 'Superbowl bleeding over from channel 6 to 38.

That implies that you must have some local traffic in your area...which is a GOOD thing!!!

When we moved homes almost 4 years ago, there was a band of folks on 38LSB in the southeast and south of Houston. I wonder if they are still there? Working towards getting a working radio then getting my A99 up at the new digs to find out....

Actually, I'm kinda enjoying the lull in solar activity. It allows me to be able to chat & bs with the locals, even the slightly distant ones. I have been able to chat with Hawai'i while running down the road. Even as brief as it was. It has VERY enjoyable to hear a couple of people out in the middle of nowhere having a little chat, instead of listening to the 'Superbowl bleeding over from channel 6 to 38.

channel 19 in the tampa area is busy most of the day and into the night,, many locals and a few truckers, but on down side there are a few who want to screw it up by fighting and playing music,, but at least it isnt every day it happens,,,

Reactions: NZ8N and LeapFrog
Well, over here on the gulf side it's only day truckers at the plant. Solar minimum seems to be able to take out both my 148's. Second one just went no AM TX. Solar minimum is repair cycle. Now where did I put my plastic fork, time to poke around this MF'r.:mad:

That implies that you must have some local traffic in your area...which is a GOOD thing!!!

When we moved homes almost 4 years ago, there was a band of folks on 38LSB in the southeast and south of Houston. I wonder if they are still there? Working towards getting a working radio then getting my A99 up at the new digs to find out....
Not so much local, as what I get passing through different areas in southern California for work. There are only a handful of operators in the area & it's a crapshoot as to when their on.

Minimal skip running here and sporadic and short when it does happen.

Side Band guys few and far between...one 40 miles away and one 60.

AM still fairly active in evenings from about 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm on channels 12 & 30.

Not much at all during the day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.