• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solarcon A99 for 10 meter plus

bhayles

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jul 2, 2014
mountains of N Georgia
juicymaters.com
If I want to use an A99 for 10 meter but don't want to ruin it for 11 meter by cutting 11 inches off the top (per the A99 instructions), can I get at least useably close to 28.300 to 28.500 by adjusting the tuning rings towards the top of the antenna, thus "shortening" it?

The A99 I use doe snot need any cutting for 10 meters.

It presents a decent impedance up to 28.500mhz, also works on 11,12,and 15 meters no antenna coupler required.

I do not have any ground plane radials installed on the A99.

Use your HF rig and check the vswr on that A99 before you go to cutting it.

Anything under a 2:1 VSWR is good.

Reactions: S&W357
I talk 11, 12 and 15 easily on mine with my manual tuner. I never cut or adjusted anything. Buy a cheap mfj manual tuner and use it for the ham bands that way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My A99 works from 10 - 20 Meters with a Tuner but I can run it from 11 meters through 10 Meters 28.500 without a Tuner so call me lucky but I love it. As the SWR is withing tolerable limits ;)

Reactions: S&W357 and Low_Boy
I tuned my A99 for 27.500. It covers the cb band up to 28.500 with out much of a problem. With tuner I can drag it down to 17 but its not very effective that low. Mine actually works on 15 without a tuner. swr 1.3-1.5

If you just leave the antenna as it is and use a manual tuner, you will get 10, 11, 12, and 15 meters. Might not have the best specs outside of 11m; but it will still work just fine and contacts can be made easily. I wouldn't mess with the rings unless one has an antenna analyzer.

Reactions: Wire Weasel
just put up my a99 with ground plane kit put rig expert meter on it and it was at 31340. tuning table shows cutting 18 inches off , i am worried about cutting the antenna knowing anything i cut cant be put back!
any help will be appreciated

K6SDM
steve

My A99 gets all 11meter and all 10 meter and if I remember correctly it may do up to 20 meter. The internal tuner on my radio tunes it. I have to say the antenna has been great. Also I forgot to mention I Have no ground plane kit.

just put up my a99 with ground plane kit put rig expert meter on it and it was at 31340. tuning table shows cutting 18 inches off , i am worried about cutting the antenna knowing anything i cut cant be put back!
any help will be appreciated

K6SDM
steve
Something is not right with the above....
Antron 99 with tuning rings correct?
What frequency did you test on?
Is that resonate on 31.340?
Cutt 18 inches off don't sound right....
Let's figure that out before you cut anything.

Jeff

Reactions: K6SDM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.